Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:21 PM

182 posts, read 554,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl34 View Post
Thanks for having my back LM. DG - we were funnin' with you, as they say down here. It really sounds like small town life might be better suited to you. I am a paranoid fraidy cat who is fearful of a lot of things but I can honestly tell you that crime in Charlotte isn't one of them (no more than it would be in any other city in the US - you have to use common sense). My neighborhood caps out at just over $300K ona good day and yet it is virtually crime-free.
No, small town life isn't for me. WPB isn't a small town by far, just trying to explore Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 08:09 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Best of luck DiamondGirl - take everything here with a grain of salt. There's also some community forums for Moms that you might like to check out - not sure if you have kids. I know they exist for the Mooresville/Huntersville area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Mikey, may I also suggest that you don't "push" Charlotte on your wife right now. Give her some time to adjust and to start liking it here because she WANTS to be here and not because you're telling her she should like it here.
After our move, (that I was very unsure about in the beginning and still am at times), my husband tried to convince me that I should be "overjoyed" to have moved her. Everytime I had something negative to say about the area, he became defensive, as if I was raining on his parade. It was as if he was trying to "fix" the situation. When in fact, all I needed was time to adjust, time to like Charlotte "on my own terms" and not because he wanted me to.
Hope that makes some sense.
Give your wife a hug and understand that it takes time.

Yeah, this is pretty much what my family and friends keep preaching... but it's like the 800lb gorilla in the room. We can pretend it's not there, but when I feel like he's sitting on my head eating the sofa, I open my mouth and make everything worse. heh

I do appreciate the kind words and advice... thanks

Old 02-29-2008, 11:36 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,222,151 times
[quote=jp03;2976475]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
- Houses.. Charlotte is in the top 5 right now in keeping house value. Great time to buy. Hard time to sell.. but we are holding strong.

-

Isnt this a contradiction??
Kind of.. and not to derail, however... I meant in comparison to the rest of the country. Charlotte is not losing value like other markets are. Still Not selling like the good ole Days of 2007.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:23 PM

24 posts, read 87,304 times
Default charlotte

we moved 1 1/2 years ago from CA. The news here is so local yocal they talk about all the Charlotte crime and not about world news very weird. The city is like any other large metro cities crime, traffic, over populated...We live on Lake Norman and just love it, we could not afford the 5million dollar homes on the beaches in CA so we came here. Yes it's humid in the summer but I stay in the air conditioning and when I go out I think out the benefits the humidity has on my skin. It's a great place to raise a family and we are happy to be out of the concrete jungle! People are so genuine he it's great. If you are serious about a move reasearch some areas and fly out for a long weekend and see for yourself. But the city is not a place for a family, I'd look 20 min out of Charlotte in any direction! The lakes here are great. Good Luck.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
Yes I have been about 5 times, and I love the city, it's very different for us, but I love the city (Steele Creek was my dream area until....) We were scheluded to move in June. But I am having mixed feeling right now. The crime, the taxes & the unemployment rate is scaring me. I live in West Palm Beach, FL now, and face those same issues here, but at least I already have a job.

I been here from NYC for almost 9 months. Crime here is relatively small to me, coming from NYC. I do agree with you on the job issue. One of you should have a job before moving.

Good luck!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,951 times
I have got to say I love it here. I moved here from Western New York 3 years ago with my kids. I'm in the University area. Mecklenberg schools leave something to be desired, however, coming from an economically depressed area to one with jobs is always a plus. Because of having a job my way of life is much better, the weather is better and I have met some wonderful original Charlotteans. I admit that the crime can be disconcerting, however, you cram so many people into any area and keep relentlessly building cheap homes, you're going to have crime. It's people who come waltzing in, unconcerned for the locals and their take on life that make things difficult and uneasy. Relax, enjoy what the area has to offer and its people.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:25 PM

182 posts, read 554,444 times
Smile Wow, what a difference a few years will make!!!

It's amazing that I don't remember writing this post, but I am glad I listened to be gut, but for different reasons other than crime. Needless to say the bottom fell out of the construction and the recruitment field in 2009. If we had moved my family would have been in a mess (since both of our employment fields were directly affected).
We are finally ready to make the move in summer 2014; we have been planning for months. Actually I just came back from there, and I’m in love again. It was a little hot, but it was cooler than south Florida. I am glad that we decided to take the time to financially mature and get everything in order to have this move be a success. Thanks a lot to the people of this board, I learned to look for myself and not solely depend on the words from others. Thank you so much your information has helped us a lot.

Quote:
My husband & I have decided to post-pone our move to Charlotte, until early next year. Well it is really me who is the resistant one. Finding this site was a blessing & a curse. The blessing was I learned that Charlotte had more to offer than I initially knew. The curse, I have been scared senseless.

The wool has been pulled from over my eyes. Charlotte is not the paradise I was wishing for. I know it was niave of me to think a city was the answer to blissfull suburan life. Coming from a city of 100,000 to a city with more than 600,000 people had to be a change. I guess what really put the nail in the coffin was the tales of random crime.

So I guess have to sit back and make a decision of what I really want to do.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
It's amazing that I don't remember writing this post, but I am glad I listened to be gut, but for different reasons other than crime. Needless to say the bottom fell out of the construction and the recruitment field in 2009. If we had moved my family would have been in a mess (since both of our employment fields were directly affected).
We are finally ready to make the move in summer 2014; we have been planning for months. Actually I just came back from there, and I’m in love again. It was a little hot, but it was cooler than south Florida. I am glad that we decided to take the time to financially mature and get everything in order to have this move be a success. Thanks a lot to the people of this board, I learned to look for myself and not solely depend on the words from others. Thank you so much your information has helped us a lot.
So glad you came back and posted! I remember thinking that it made me feel soooo sad that you were worrying so much about crime, but now that I read back over the post, I think you just had a gut feeling, overall, that this wasn't the right time for the move.

And you were right!!!

Please let us know if there are things we can help you with as you look toward the future! Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte