Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani - Once a person like that says something nasty to you, you're entitled to say anything that comes to mind -no matter what! Don't let being "Southern" hold you back in any way - use the choicest invictives you want!
Well. This is very interesting! Maybe this is part of the evolution of the New South. Southerners get to mouth off now and then and that is okay. Hmmmm. I like this!

I just hope none of you drive a new black Infiniti w/ New York plates.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
.Seriously guys, enjoy your alternate reality that you created in the Promised Republic of Metrolina, and please don't start whining and complaining about the place in three years when the actual reality starts hitting some of you. The natives there don't want to hear about it.
Excuse me? Who peed on your parade? Promised Republic of Metrolina? Just what do you mean by "the actual reality sets in?" I am sorry. I guess I am just one of the obtuse Southerners who you seem to like to denigrate. But if you are going to pop in from out of town and spew on our board, how about explaining your comments?

Old 04-20-2008, 04:50 PM

876 posts, read 3,793,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Living in Huntersville since last Oct and haven't had one person wave to us while we were driving by......anywhere!! Do you live in a different part of North Carolina than we do???
Just please get this: rude and unfriendly people are almost everywhere today and yes, both in North Carolina/Charlotte areas and in Florida/Miami areas. If you live in an area where people in general say "Good Morning" automatically, please tell us......we will move there!!
Come on over the Sherrills Ford on the North end of the Lake. As a matter of fact the house next door to me is for sale and I'd be more than happy to say Good Morning to you everyday. All my neighbors wave, but maybe thats just because I am a genuinely nice guy, I dunno? It's alot less commercialized and a bit more humble over here on the north/west side I guess.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:52 PM

876 posts, read 3,793,907 times
On another note, just for clarification, I did state in my initial post exactly where I was receiving the "friendly" attitude.

And for further clarification, I am comparing FT.LAUDERDALE, FL to Where I reside on the NORTHWEST side of Lake Norman. I cannot vouch for Clearwater, Tampa, Boynton Beach, Boca (for the rich folk) or other various places of FL. All I know if Ft.Lauderdale in the past 3-4 years has become an absolute dump.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
Come on over the Sherrills Ford on the North end of the Lake. As a matter of fact the house next door to me is for sale and I'd be more than happy to say Good Morning to you everyday. All my neighbors wave, but maybe thats just because I am a genuinely nice guy, I dunno? It's alot less commercialized and a bit more humble over here on the north/west side I guess.
Well, I am in S. CLT and my neighbors wave, stop and talk when out walking the dogs . . . and I get greeted w/ smiles and How are ya? at every business around here . . . I have random conversations w/ strangers in parking lots . . . standing in line at the pharmacy, bank, grocery store, post office . . . I was in Starbucks this week and a woman walked up to me and asked me about my earrings, and I had never seen her in my life . . . I was having trouble seeing if I had gotten in a parking place and I rolled down the window and asked a guy getting out of his car if he would check and see how I was parking and he was not only helpful, he asked me about my vehicle and gas mileage . . . I interact w/ people the same as I have all my life. Now things were different when I lived in the midwest as people were hesitant to talk to strangers there, even while standing in a line. But when I moved back here, things have been pretty much the same as they always were for me here in the Charlotte area.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
CTR-You know that we have butt heads more than once in the Miami forum. I'm not sure how you long have lived in Weston as that area is about 10 years old or so?? Please correct me if wrong. I'm not sure if you really got to live through the transformation that occurred down there. I was born and raised in Miami and lived there for 32 years so I have seen it all. But I can honestly say that so far FOR ME Charlotte has been a lot nicer people wise. And I've been anywhere from Southpark up to Concord and have had the same experience everywhere. At least when and if they do cut me off here, they use their turn signal and don't try to actually kill me on purpose while doing it. They are nicer about it. Does that make sense? Oh and I love hearing English everywhere. It's such a bonus. I was in Wallyworld today and did hear Spanish with the Mexicans but that's expected. It was not that much at all. Plus its Sunday so everyone and their grandmother literally is there! At least they were polite to me and said Excuse me numerous times. Not just a stupid blank look on their face.
I have said myself that Florida and especially Miami-Dade is not a "warm and fuzzy" kind of place and the attitude drifts towards aggressive. Yes Miami is even downright rude, it's true. Granted, I don't shop at Wal-Mart (Walfart as I call it lol) but when I shop at Target/etc I DO experience basic courtesies like someone saying "excuse me" when they bump into me (even from people speaking Spanish or another foreign language with their family), holding the door, etc. Miami-Dade (Mariel boatlift) and Broward (malcontents from the NE flooding in) where never the same after the 80s, but have improved vastly since those days. Yes, I have been to Charlotte a few times, and the people were more friendly (not VERY friendly IMO) although I couldn't really sense any authenticity to it. I prefer people who are more cut and dry and tell you how they feel, even if that means some more aggressive mannerisms. It's just that there is all of this talk about how there are supposedly no rude people in Charlotte and everywhere in FL NOBODY gives ANY basic courtesy and EVERYBODY is some kind of ass hole. It sounds ridiculous and exaggerated to me so I'm just giving my own ridiculous and exaggerated responses, although now I'm going to be serious.

Replying to you, I was talking about Boynton Beach not being the "real" South FL. Well, IMO west BB is like a toned town Boca and east Boynton is a place to get robbed and the people are actually far ruder in PBC than Broward and maybe even Dade.

We can still be friends though .

PS- I was not born in FL, but I lived in Davie during high school years (Western HS graduate) and moved to Orlando, moved back to South FL, Orlando AGAIN, considered Atlanta and Greensboro, and then settled on Weston. I have family here whose roots trace back to the 50s so yes, I am aware of the multi-faceted changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Excuse me? Who peed on your parade? Promised Republic of Metrolina? Just what do you mean by "the actual reality sets in?" I am sorry. I guess I am just one of the obtuse Southerners who you seem to like to denigrate. But if you are going to pop in from out of town and spew on our board, how about explaining your comments?
I was DEFENDING the southerners...I was saying the natives aren't going to like it when all of the transplants start whining and complaining about everything in 5 years and start really turning the place into where they came from, just like what happened to many parts of Florida. I think there tends to be a "honeymoon" period when you move to a place where everything seems wonderful and it seems like a lot of the types on this thread are in that phase...I would NOT be happy if my hometown started getting flooded by malcontent transplants seeking the next panacea.

Anyway guys, I may disagree with many of you and feel some are exaggerating, but I would like to wish the best of luck to all who have relocated and hope you can enjoy Charlotte for years to come.

Quote:
All I know if Ft.Lauderdale in the past 3-4 years has become an absolute dump.
Ft. Lauderdale has done nothing but improve over the past 3 years. The formerly sleazy beachfront went upscale and bad neighborhoods are continuing to gentrify. Galleria Mall went from dead to drop dead gorgeous, and the crime rate has gone down for three out of the four years and is much lower than the Charlotte area (I will post the stats). I don't see what's so bad about that. I just want you to explain your reasoning as to what has turned Ft. Lauderdale into an "absolute dump" in a matter of only 48 months. The only change I have seen in the people is that it has become more diverse (and more tolerant), which seems to be a "problem" and mean "rude" to a lot of people. It was ALWAYS kind of plastic here and it's had an aggressive edge (largely imported from up north) since the 80s. We may agree to disagree and I promise to stay civil at this point, but I want to hear your opinions.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-20-2008 at 05:26 PM..

Old 04-20-2008, 05:08 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well. This is very interesting! Maybe this is part of the evolution of the New South. Southerners get to mouth off now and then and that is okay. Hmmmm. I like this!

I just hope none of you drive a new black Infiniti w/ New York plates.
Well ani, Now that we're here in the New South, to paraphrase Joni Mitchell's "Shades of Scarlett Conquering" - "a Woman can say anything"! No one who lives in the South should buy a black car anyway! They get so darn hot you can burn your hand on them in the summer. White is now the "preferred" color of a car in the New South. It reflects the most heat and saves on AC & gas thus making it a "little green".

Last edited by TheEmissary; 04-20-2008 at 05:17 PM..

Old 04-20-2008, 05:09 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
One thing is for sure, different people experience different things! We were only explaining what we have experienced about that "North Carolina/Charlotte friendliness" since we have lived here. 99% of the time, I have initiated the conversation or "Good Morning", not someone else!! But, we guess that that 1% of "friendliness" is better than none at all. And, there is a difference between living in a housing development and a apartment complex. The only people who seem fairly friendly here are the office people who rent out apartment.....again, because they are paid to be that way.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:19 PM

111 posts, read 332,385 times
Default You get what you give out...

Quote:
you are in central FL, try South FL (Broward County) and lemme know how you feel, lol...

its a big big big difference!

FYI, born and raised in South FL for 30yrs, just moved to NC last year
I was raised in Miami (first 25 years) and then moved to Broward for the next 24 years. A lot of what you speak about could have to do with the population density. Fortunately I didn't have the same experience as you. I believe that what you give out, is what you get back. People are different in all parts of the country. S. Florida is culturally diverse, while this area is not. I really like the Charlotte area, but what I have noticed is with this lack of diversity comes a lack of tolerance.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Well ani, Now that we're here in the New South, to paraphrase Joni Mitchell's "Shades of Scarlett Conquering" - "a Woman can say anything"! No one who lives in the South should buy a black car anyway! They get so darn hot you can burn your hand on them in the summer. White is now the "preferred" color of a car in the New South. It reflects the most heat and saves on AC & gas thus making it a "little green".
Well, I like these rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte