Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:30 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times

Advertisements

I am on this forum b/c someday, we may obtain a 2nd home in North Carolina.

My husband is from Miami, a native. He was there for 21 years until graduating from college. His parents stayed until 1982 when they moved to Pembroke Pines. His dad, now a widower, is still there.

My husband and his parents are all shy, respectful people. My side of the family is overly friendly (can't you tell? hehe) When I have been out with my husband, I feel he thinks I am being too friendly. "You don't have to talk to everyone."

My husband has also learned from me to use his turn signals and b/c he is not an aggressive type, he never gets upset in traffic. Very calm.

My sister recently visited Cary, NC and Asheville area and came back glowing about the area.

I do think there are rude people wherever you go. Just tonight, I was on the phone with a relative and I was treatly rudely!! If you are nice to people, they will respond that way. OK, so I am old fashioned!

Last edited by Bette; 04-20-2008 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Spelled word wrong

Old 04-20-2008, 08:31 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I am on this forum b/c someday, we may obtain a 2nd home in North Carolina.

My husband is from Miami, a native. He was there for 21 years until graduating from college. His parents stayed until 1982 when they moved to Pembroke Pines. His dad, now a widower, is still there.

My husband and his parents are all shy, respectful people. My side of the family is overly friendly (can't you tell? hehe) When I been with my husband and we have been somewhere, I feel he thinks I am being too friendly. "You don't have to talk to everyone."

My husband has also learned from me to use his turn signals and b/c he is not an aggressive type, he never gets upset in traffic. Very calm.

My sister recently visited Cary, NC and Asheville area and came back glowing about the area.

I do think there are rude people wherever you go. Just tonight, I was on the phone with a relative and I was treatly rudely!!
those darn relatives can be the worst sometimes

Old 04-20-2008, 08:34 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Okay, I'm not going to turn this into a crime thread or anything, but here in Charlotte we have had problems in our malls too.
December 2006: Gunfire at Eastland Mall in Charlotte, N.C., sent Christmas shoppers ducking for cover and left one man shot in the neck. The shooting erupted in the busy mall about 8:15 p.m., after an argument between two groups of men. Investigators believe four shots were fired from two guns. One struck a 27-year-old man in the base of his neck, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said.
Wow, the only thing you hear about in Broward malls is car burglaries and shoplifting, and sometimes purse snatching or an occasional strong arm robbery. No shootings, carjacking, violent armed robberies or anything like that, you have to go to Palm Beach for that. I shopped at that mall you mentioned one time and I would take any Broward County mall over that place any time. A mall shooting did happen in Boynton Beach (Palm Beach County) however, a famous one.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Nah Ani I think your right on not being this way: ani - Once a person like that says something nasty to you, you're entitled to say anything that comes to mind -no matter what! Don't let being "Southern" hold you back in any way - use the choicest invictives you want!

I think that while EM has some good points, I've played that game and in all honesty you seldom come out the winner. Besides I prefer to "kill someone with kindness" b/c you know what, even if they are rude in the beginning of our conversing, chances are by the end they will be nicer. IT is usually all in the initial response. Like the postal worker, I wanted to punch her in the mouth b/c she was sooooooooo rude, while my toddler is crawling all over me from impatience, but hey I was just as pleasant as can be.

Yeah I have to agree with some of the others on this one, what part of NC do you live in where strangers are continuosly waving at you? I think this may be somewhat of a multiple illusion. So needless to say, I am sticking to my initial thoughts about rude/nice people being in both places. Don't kid yourself folks. The only thing I think you may be referring to is the cultural differences in S. FL which I have never had a problem with.
nkjaws - I used to be a "postal worker" so that in itself, may say more than I possibly can!

I do wave to a lot to many neighbors in my development, some of whom I don't know well and they always wave back. This is in a neighborhood where most of the residents aren't from NC - I know, because I saw the license plates from other states, that were on their cars, when they first moved in. I think we've slighly modified our own behavior because we "heard the rumor" that everyone "waves" down here. A "Go with the Flow" kind of thing!

I must admit that I have a lot more patience now that I've "re-retired". The stress of getting to work tries the souls of many people, no matter where you live. When I worked for the Union County Library, I came in 1 minute late due to traffic and got a reprimand for being late. Oh the horror! This left me in a foul mood for the rest of the day, to the point where I would have slapped Mother Theresa in the face if she looked at me the wrong way. Another nine months later, I told my boss in a most "genteel manner" that I wasn't putting up with the c*** anymore. I got a party when I left, and she wasn't invited! Stress can really take the joy out of life whether it comes from a long commute or living in the wrong neighborhood. I bet if you could trade Steele Creek for Ft Mill, you'd do it in a heartbeat! If wishes were horses!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:57 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
nkjaws - I used to be a "postal worker" so that in itself, may say more than I possibly can!

I do wave to a lot to many neighbors in my development, some of whom I don't know well and they always wave back. This is in a neighborhood where most of the residents aren't from NC - I know, because I saw the license plates from other states, that were on their car, when they first moved in. I think we've slighly modified our own behavior because we "heard the rumor" that everyone "waves" down here. A "Go with the Flow" kind of thing!

I must admit that I have a lot more patience now that I've "re-retired". The stress of getting to work tries the souls of many people, no matter where you live. When I worked for the Union County Library, I came in 1 minute late due to traffic and got a reprimand for being late. Oh the horror! This left me in a foul mood for the rest of the day, to the point where I would have slapped Mother Theresa in the face if she looked at me the wrong way. Another nine months later, I told my boss in a most "genteel manner" that I wasn't putting up with the c*** anymore. I got a party when I left, and she wasn't invited! Stress can really take the joy out of life whether it comes from a long commute or living in the wrong neighborhood. I bet if you could trade Steele Creek for Ft Mill, you'd do it in a heartbeat! If wishes were horses!
Well heck yeah I'd go for Ft. Mill. But once you learn the ropes here, it isn't all that bad, it just takes some getting used to. Which is exactly my point about killing people with kindness. I get it that their job can be stessful, that they may have had a bad day, so by me being rude in return isn't going to solve anything. Say you were having a bad day at work and I came in the post office and was just sweet as pie, bet you couldn't be mean Now that other postal worker, she threw my CC back at me and blah blah blah, but I still think I got to her a little Hopefully she wasn't as rude to the next customer.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
moderator note:

topic of the OP http://www.city-data.com/forum/3515160-post1.html

Old 04-20-2008, 09:23 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,035,294 times
Default I believe the nicest

People are from NC!!! We love that aspect! Everyone is so friendly and nice

Old 04-20-2008, 09:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Well heck yeah I'd go for Ft. Mill. But once you learn the ropes here, it isn't all that bad, it just takes some getting used to. Which is exactly my point about killing people with kindness. I get it that their job can be stessful, that they may have had a bad day, so by me being rude in return isn't going to solve anything. Say you were having a bad day at work and I came in the post office and was just sweet as pie, bet you couldn't be mean Now that other postal worker, she threw my CC back at me and blah blah blah, but I still think I got to her a little Hopefully she wasn't as rude to the next customer.
nk - I suspect she was, unfortunately! She didn't learn that from the training she got with the P.O, that's for sure. Window Clerks, whether in Charlotte or NYC are trained on how to deal with rude customers (which you certainly weren't!) and to treat customers with respect. It would be interesting to go back and have her wait on you again to see whether it was a "one-off" incident. If she treated you the same way again, I would then call her supervisor and report her. I give everyone a second chance. I've never believed in "first impressions" - some of the people I've met, I didn't like the first time around, but later became good friends with them! You never know!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
moderator note:
This thread is about FL vs Clt within the topic of the OP not other regions

Old 04-20-2008, 09:41 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,035,294 times
Default nkjaws

Yeah it probably also depends on the neighborhood..ours everyone waves and smiles...haha might be an illusion considering some of their crazy ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte