Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustratedinflorida View Post
Man, just wait until I get up there and become one of the many people from Miami/Fort Lauderdale moving to N. Carolina -- and I'll bring all my spanish speaking buddies too.

(closest I could find for tongue in cheek -- LMAO!!!!)

But I can't get up there until I find job first and sell my house down here. Not sure which is tougher.
Just please bring good food with you. This whole city is wanting more variety in restaurants. Yes, we have variety but not as much as we want. Still so much room for growth. So get some of your friends to come here and open restaurants!!! We want Cuban Sandwiches available all over the city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 04:36 PM

64 posts, read 169,212 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just please bring good food with you. This whole city is wanting more variety in restaurants. Yes, we have variety but not as much as we want. Still so much room for growth. So get some of your friends to come here and open restaurants!!! We want Cuban Sandwiches available all over the city!
LOL -- Ok, you got it. Cuban sandwiches for everybody! I'll even drive slow in the left hand lane with the blinker on right so you can really feel like you live in Miami.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:09 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
To those that think we don't want any more Yankees to move here, that's not it at all...if you move here and have a job and contribute to the local economy, great...but don't come here, and COMPLAIN about what isn't here that you had where you were from...and don't try and change the local politics which have allowed the area to become such a good draw for people...we don't want higher taxes (both property and income), which a certain political idealogy loves, and has been put in charge in the Northeast. Don't complain about our schools (it's the most overblown thing out there, a child's education is more on the parents themselves than the school: I went to a small school system in OH, and didn't have many good educational options, but my parents made up for that, and helped me become better educated than just my school would have). If you don't like our pizza or bagel shops, instead of complaining about it, maybe try and open one yourself. If you don't like the way the city has developed and been zoned, then don't move there...I too see nothing wrong w/ seeing a mobile home next to a McMansion or an old huge farmhouse. If you don't want to live in that nice house next to a mobile home, you don't have to, but don't complain about it. We get tired of the complaining that some people do when they move here...also, we like to have good manners here (samething up in OH), for instance, if someone is coming right behind you going into someplace, hold the door open for them, or if someone is trying to merge in traffic, and you can allow them in, do it...if someone walking past you says hello, or how are you, answer them, don't just walk on bye. We like a slower pace of life here, if that isn't something you like, then don't move here. I have adopted many of the ways of the south since I moved here, and if I move somewhere else, I'll adopt their ways too, but I would never move to someplace that I don't like their ways (ie, NYC-too fast paced, too many rude people, I lived their for 1 month, and no one would hold a door open for you, no one would say hello to you when you walked bye, if you held a door for someone, they gave you a funny look: so I know I wouldn't fit in there and would therefore never move there).

Old 04-03-2009, 06:10 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frustratedinflorida View Post
LOL -- Ok, you got it. Cuban sandwiches for everybody! I'll even drive slow in the left hand lane with the blinker on right so you can really feel like you live in Miami.
The cuban sandwiches sound great, but no thanks to the poor drivers...people can't drive here anyways, we don't need even worse drivers

Old 04-04-2009, 12:58 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
Just to clarify, since this thread REALLY got out of hand...

1. NOT ALL New Yorkers or New Jerseyans are rude. In fact, if you take the time to get to know some of us (without preconceived notions of how you "think" we are), you may be pleasantly surprised. Some of us are just more "driven", we talk faster, we don't "beat around the bush", we get to the point, but we don't mean to be rude. You may just perceive it that way.

2. There are friendly and rude people all over the world. I've learned that it depends on the individual and their life experiences, not which part of the country they're from.

3. Change is inevitable. I'm not sure it would be beneficial for any part of the country to stay stagnant. How one manages to adjust to the change, is what's important. (How local politicians handle the change is a determining factor as well...sometimes greed can really screw things up, KWIM?)

4. Values are values (read: morals) no one can take that away from anyone.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Just to clarify, since this thread REALLY got out of hand...

1. NOT ALL New Yorkers or New Jerseyans are rude. In fact, if you take the time to get to know some of us (without preconceived notions of how you "think" we are), you may be pleasantly surprised. Some of us are just more "driven", we talk faster, we don't "beat around the bush", we get to the point, but we don't mean to be rude. You may just perceive it that way.

2. There are friendly and rude people all over the world. I've learned that it depends on the individual and their life experiences, not which part of the country they're from.

3. Change is inevitable. I'm not sure it would be beneficial for any part of the country to stay stagnant. How one manages to adjust to the change, is what's important. (How local politicians handle the change is a determining factor as well...sometimes greed can really screw things up, KWIM?)

4. Values are values (read: morals) no one can take that away from anyone.
Great post, StM. What started off as fun did get wacked out. Your points are well made and I hope - well taken.

And you are soooo right about local politicians! I also think that we, the people, have to get involved and make sure our local politicians know what we want and what we EXPECT. It is easy for any of us to sit back and criticize, but not so easy to take a stand and make our voices heard. The direction and growth of Charlotte should have input from the man on the street. After all, it is our tax money they are using for budgets!

Old 04-04-2009, 02:19 PM

422 posts, read 1,366,468 times
WHOA! Where have I been for the last 24 hours? Ani's kicking butt, Northerners are freaking out and Coupon is speechless!!!! Are Pigs flying? Is the sky falling?

Old 04-04-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post
WHOA! Where have I been for the last 24 hours? Ani's kicking butt, Northerners are freaking out and Coupon is speechless!!!! Are Pigs flying? Is the sky falling?
Hey, NB! Well, this was all just good fun for a while . . . then people got upset b/c they thought we were being serious. Or maybe they thought we were being rude. Anyway . . . we all know that John, who is a New Yorker, posted this in the best of good humor and hopefully, everyone realizes that most of us LOVE NY!!! No city in the world like NYC and many of our friends are relocated New Yawkers!!!

And as far as people moving here . . . we have houses for sale - lots of them. We hope there will be buyers out there. The jobs are a problem right now and probably will be for a while. But retirees should still consider NC and especially, the Charlotte area.

Don't know what else to say cause anyone who knows my posts surely knows I am all for growth, welcoming newcomers and everyone enjoying living in this region.

So that's what has been going on.

But I won't be on for a while . . . Gotta go watch some basketball and root for my HEELS! Go, Carolina!!! WHOO HOO!!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2009, 05:27 PM

311 posts, read 916,003 times
i love how these threads never get shut down if Charlotte people are the ones being rude =p

anyway, we can't stereotype people just because they're from a certain place.. that's what usually seems to happen.

and i also hope i am not considered trash, as you put it ani, simply b/c i am from new york, and i RENT in charlotte, and my job is NOT local here. i guess i don't put pennies into the system and i am trash.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:44 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
i love how these threads never get shut down if Charlotte people are the ones being rude =p

anyway, we can't stereotype people just because they're from a certain place.. that's what usually seems to happen.

and i also hope i am not considered trash, as you put it ani, simply b/c i am from new york, and i RENT in charlotte, and my job is NOT local here. i guess i don't put pennies into the system and i am trash.

There were more tongue-in-cheek comments made in this thread than I could count.

Take it from a New Jerseyan...this thread has been fun!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte