Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:03 PM

79 posts, read 287,252 times

Advertisements

I was so looking forward to the opening of the big view diner on 521 & Ardrey Kell. That was until I saw thier menu prices today. I was hoping for a real diner with real diner prices. Instead looks like we sorta got a diner with uptown prices. Come on guys, $13 for meatloaf or an open face turkey sandwich and $8.00 for a hamburger? Good luck. I won't be there! Is it just me or are these prices WAY out of line with what a real diner would charge? I guess somebody has to pay for that fancy new building. I bet they close down in under a year!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:59 PM

138 posts, read 413,255 times
Doesn't seem out of line for a diner to me. Back on Long Island, most "new" diners would charge at least that much. That said, some may consider it steep for Charlotte, but considering there really are no "true" diners around, I'll at least give it a try and hope the offerings are worth the price!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,006,260 times
I say a real diner would charge about $6 -7 for burger with fries and no more than $8 for meatloaf with 2 sides.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:05 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,753,850 times
Are you talking about 1969 diner prices, or 2009 diner prices Now a days you can spend $8.00 for a meal at a fast food place, LOL.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:08 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,802,782 times
Prices are up, unfortunately.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 PM

124 posts, read 361,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtgman View Post
I was so looking forward to the opening of the big view diner on 521 & Ardrey Kell. That was until I saw thier menu prices today. I was hoping for a real diner with real diner prices. Instead looks like we sorta got a diner with uptown prices. Come on guys, $13 for meatloaf or an open face turkey sandwich and $8.00 for a hamburger? Good luck. I won't be there! Is it just me or are these prices WAY out of line with what a real diner would charge? I guess somebody has to pay for that fancy new building. I bet they close down in under a year!
Stopped by Big View Diner today to see when they were opening and when we got in they had opened an hour before, and it was full. We had about a 15 min wait. The place is beautiful and the food was outstanding and they certainly give you a lot of food and the presentation was good. We didn't get the feel that we were in a Diner tho, maybe a little like Cheesecake factory. Your right " mrtgman" the prices seem a bit high for a Diner for dinner and the fish menu was hi but they say it is fresh,, but lunch menu was pretty average Sandwiches ran from $5.95-9.95 a few special ones the latter. It appears to be a big place but it is not huge eating area.Breakfast starts on the 25th mostly $4-$7 a nice selection, and kiddie's meals are $5.95. They are waiting for their liquor license due in couple days. Bar is in the front.Interesting set-up for a Diner.They have print out menu's you might want to stop by and get one and see if it is for you. For those interested we did try the "NY Disco Fries"with gravy (1st time) ever. They were delicious,a whole plateful for 2 and plenty to take home.Never heard of them in NYthey must have come from Brooklyn :-) Lunch is 11am-5pm Worth going to see it, something for everyone, esp visitors.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:26 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,733,134 times
You are not going to get the prices you had in NY/NJ for a "comparable" diner. Food is more expensive. That is just reality.

I am curious to check the place out though....

my question isn't the price, its who orders the meatloaf at a diner??? Blech...

Old 05-06-2009, 09:36 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,067,197 times
"diners" are hip nowadays as a restaurant trend - thus the relatively high prices....haven't seen the place, but it sounds like it has very little to do with the diners of yore...

the food is probably high quality "comfort food" and recalls menus of old-style diners....meatloaf, burgers, turkey sandwiches, as mentioned here....

calling themselves a "diner" is just them following the current trend toward all-American comfort food done well

Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
If you want cheap go to Tryon House.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:33 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,145,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
"diners" are hip nowadays as a restaurant trend - thus the relatively high prices....haven't seen the place, but it sounds like it has very little to do with the diners of yore...

the food is probably high quality "comfort food" and recalls menus of old-style diners....meatloaf, burgers, turkey sandwiches, as mentioned here....

calling themselves a "diner" is just them following the current trend toward all-American comfort food done well
^
If this place is a "diner", then I guess I don't know what a diner is. It looks to me like just another chain restaurant type place -- change the signs and it could be a Buffalo Wild Wings. Bar? Bakery? Sports Lounge? Whut? And to me, it just doesn't look how a diner should look. Seems to me that calling it a diner is just a marketing move, and surprise surprise, it's working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte