Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:14 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ignatowski View Post

BTW, did anyone notice the really cheap gas station prices in the same shopping center in Denver?
Yeah there is usually a semi gas war going on there with those stations right at 16/73.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 05:10 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
I took a look at ALDI for the first time today.

I had always assumed it was mainly stocked with long shelf life packaged food, but they do have enough fresh and frozen stuff to feel like a proper store. It was surprisingly quiet. No radio, muzak, or "atttention shoppers" banter, which I liked. It does feel like a step up from Dollar General or Family Dollar, at least.

Prices are only 1/2 to 2/3 of what Harris Teeter charges. I could see that adding up, if the food is good, and you keep shopping.

Do you see people come in and use Harris Teeter bags for carryout? Heh

Old 09-29-2009, 05:40 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I took a look at ALDI for the first time today.

I had always assumed it was mainly stocked with long shelf life packaged food, but they do have enough fresh and frozen stuff to feel like a proper store. It was surprisingly quiet. No radio, muzak, or "atttention shoppers" banter, which I liked. It does feel like a step up from Dollar General or Family Dollar, at least.

Prices are only 1/2 to 2/3 of what Harris Teeter charges. I could see that adding up, if the food is good, and you keep shopping.

Do you see people come in and use Harris Teeter bags for carryout? Heh
I have used Trader Joe's bags at Aldi & I've seen others do the same.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:08 AM

146 posts, read 474,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ignatowski View Post
I was in the Denver store again last night. I took a more critical look around and noticed there was less of a packaged dried fruit assortment than at the Lincolnton store. Other than that, the Denver store is a bit larger than the Lincolnton store (and brand new) the stores are about even in everything else. I am eating a bowl of the Millville Cinnamon Crunch and it tastes just like the General Mills Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
The poster that said Shop Aldi first, then finish your shopping elsewhere is correct.

BTW, did anyone notice the really cheap gas station prices in the same shopping center in Denver?
The Murphy Express is usually a bit cheaper than the rest of the gas stations in that area. Since Murphy opened, the Kangaroo Gas has been competing in their pricing with Murphy. The Shell has lost touch with reality and keeps their prices high. when the Murphy opened (early summer) they were 10-15 cents lower than the others at the intersection. Had to wait in line. Reminded me of the 1970's oil embargo.
When we go to Hickory, we fill up at the Raceway on Hwy 321 at the airport intersection. Consistently cheaper than all of the stations.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:28 PM

176 posts, read 565,945 times
Default Aldi - Retailer of the Year

http://www.shopaldismart.com/PL_Buye...ithout-Alt-Tag

Here is Aldi winning Retailer of the Year. The article addresses many of the issues discussed on this forum. This is posted on a link from the main Aldi website.

Hope it is helpful.
sandy

Old 09-30-2009, 01:11 PM

176 posts, read 565,945 times
Default Aldi Food Reviews

Additional info for those interested, a review of Aldi foods. This site also has receipts, so you can see the prices of many of the items. I just spent a bit of time looking at the reviews, gotta get back to work!
Sandy
Aldi Food Review (http://www.aldifoodreview.com/ - broken link)

Old 10-01-2009, 03:50 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
I noticed you can go to their website and sign up to receive the weekly advert.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:28 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Yes you can. My DH gets it every week in his email.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:51 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
Tried buying a little more this time, walked out with an armful of food for $14. Feels like the late 1980s again, at those prices.

Peaches were 55¢ each, I think they're 99¢ at Harris Teeter. Banannas were only 89¢ a bag, although they don't look as "pretty" as I'm used to seeing. I guess that's part of how they keep prices low.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Tried buying a little more this time, walked out with an armful of food for $14. Feels like the late 1980s again, at those prices.

Peaches were 55¢ each, I think they're 99¢ at Harris Teeter. Banannas were only 89¢ a bag, although they don't look as "pretty" as I'm used to seeing. I guess that's part of how they keep prices low.
the only item I had any luck is cantaloupe and tomatoes .
The bananna every time I look at them they look like they are turning
soill get them some where else (im not a big bannana fan anyways

it was funny you saying you had your armful .....you gotta get a bag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte