Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 09:15 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,738,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I can tell you- I am neither an employee nor an affiliate. Yet, I am in complete agreement with Bay.

Monday evening- had a lengthy discussion with Fred Whitfield- Bobcats CEO about doing me a favor. He was gracious and willing.

Monday evening- passed Bob Johnson on the concourse. Said hello to him. He stopped, shook my hand, and thanked me for coming.

Last week- got a call from a team rep, because he had extra suite tickets for a nonbasketball event. Wanted to offer them to me at no cost.

Bobcats held Cool School game last week. Provided 15000 tickets and free food to area middle school kids, who then got to watch an NBA game.

My total investment in the Bobcats, as a STH this season? Less than $3500 (for 2 seats). Its easy enough to jump on the anti Bobcats bandwagon. I would surmise that 95% of the people with negative things to say have absolutely no idea about their operations- rather they're just parrotting what they've heard from others.

Seems rather juvenile to me that people hold the antics of the Hornets as the reason for their dislike of the Bobcats.
You can talk about how nice of a guy Fred and Bob are. I really don't care.

Where is the most marketable guy of all time? Michael Jordan? Last time I saw him he was on a milk carton. Even Larry Brown is disappointed that he's not around. Its a disgrace.

I will give them time however Jordan's selections have been mixed at best so far...(Adam Morrison/Sam Vincent bad: DJ Augustin/L Brown possible good)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,146,430 times
I would go to the Bobcats games here in Charlotte if they would be in some place other than that arena. You see I voted not to build it along with most of the voters. They may force me as a property owner to pay my taxes but they cant force me to support the place any more than that. I still find it hard to believe that they got away with tearing down the beautiful and modern arena we tax payers still owed 30 million on . There was never a problem having very large crowds there for many events. Great parking room and cheaper than the up town lots located in dark crime invested places too....they tore it down as if it were no more than one of the old shotgun houses once located in First Ward.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:50 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,218,952 times
^It was in part, the demonization of anything not in downtown that the Chamber, the CCCP and certain others want in downtown. They are doing it now with the Mecklenburg Regional Farmers Market. This place is hugely successful and they are now saying it doesn't serve the community in it's present location and it is "confusing" whatever in the hell that means. Expect a further gutting to get more tax dollars out of you to tear down it down for one located downtown.

BTW the CCCP is supported by tax dollars. It ought to lose the subsidy. I don't understand why people are being taxed to install a bunch of cheerleaders for the center city. In any case its this exact type of thinking and mindset that cause the Charlotte Coliseum to be torn down while it was in it's prime to be replaced by a very NBA specific arena.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,868,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You can talk about how nice of a guy Fred and Bob are. I really don't care.

Where is the most marketable guy of all time? Michael Jordan? Last time I saw him he was on a milk carton. Even Larry Brown is disappointed that he's not around. Its a disgrace.

I will give them time however Jordan's selections have been mixed at best so far...(Adam Morrison/Sam Vincent bad: DJ Augustin/L Brown possible good)
Ive seen Jordan on the bench both of the last 2 home games. Of course, I wouldnt expect you to know that- you're not there. And, I suppose you and LB sat down and talked about how disappointed you were in MJ? If nothing else, at least you know how to hold a grudge!

Old 11-05-2009, 05:21 AM

174 posts, read 404,264 times
As mad as I was originally about the arena, I will now admit that it has helped bring Uptown to what it is today. The Uptown arena is directly and indirectly responsible for much of the dynamic growth and entertainment otpions now offered Uptown. That's why I DO think it IS necessary that we get this baseball stadium Uptown as well.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
As mad as I was originally about the arena, I will now admit that it has helped bring Uptown to what it is today. The Uptown arena is directly and indirectly responsible for much of the dynamic growth and entertainment otpions now offered Uptown. That's why I DO think it IS necessary that we get this baseball stadium Uptown as well.
Ahhh . . . the baseball stadium. We need to start another thread. I am with Jerry Reese on this one (not that it matters what any of us think - especially those of us who have lived here forever - I guess we are just not PROGRESSIVE enough - read that - tax and spend oriented w/ no foresight about the future).

If we are gonna build a stadium, let's do it right to begin with. The decisions city fathers have made have NOT impressed me. People, get it right the first time and plan with the future in mind.

We felt we had it right with the Hornets. There are some folks who felt it would have been better to leave the franchise on the table and walk away and GET IT RIGHT in the future rather than do whatever at the moment to be able to say we have a team.

But like I said earlier . . . this didn't fit the goals of the "progressives" amongst us. And yes, I resent that. Sometimes, doing nothing is better than just doing whatever just to be able to say "we've got a team."

Again, my opinion. I have seen how other cities have planned. I am not some curmudgeon sitting in the corner criticizing. I am informed and I seek out information - I don't rely on newspaper editors, pundits, politicians or developers to shape my opinions. I form my own opinions based on my own research. The way decisions have been made in this city/county looks hodgepodge . . . and the results are hodgepodge. I have every right to criticize it. I pay my taxes, too.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:25 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,218,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
So if this is the case, lets look at the record. After the arena opened, we lost a major banking HQ, we have to condo towers that stopped construction and a 3rd that can't sell units. The epicenter next door to this place can't pay it's bills and people are going bankrupt because of it. 1000s have been laid off from downtown jobs. And even ridership on the much valted LRT is dropping.

So where do we get to the part about the benefits the NBA Arena are bringing to downtown?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:35 AM

370 posts, read 753,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Lousy team. Winning will help bring the fans in....they've stunk it up.

Lousy marketing. Ticket prices still very high. Michael Jordan is a terrible owner. He shows more interest in whether to use graphite or steel shafts than he does trying to reach out to fans.

Many transplants can't identify w/the Bobcats yet. See #1. They have to start putting a good product on the court for starters.

It CAN become a good product. Just needs alot of work right now.
I just wanted to point out--

Jordan is not 'the majority owner' he owns a very small stake, but he is NOT the owner.

Second, do you go to the games? Because the last several I have been to he is a few rows down from me, screaming, cheering, and showing a huge amount of interest. He was also the first to admit that Adam Morrison was a mistake, hence while he traded him.

Bitter much?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordysmama View Post
I just wanted to point out--

Jordan is not 'the majority owner' he owns a very small stake, but he is NOT the owner.

Second, do you go to the games? Because the last several I have been to he is a few rows down from me, screaming, cheering, and showing a huge amount of interest. He was also the first to admit that Adam Morrison was a mistake, hence while he traded him.

Bitter much?
You are not getting the point. It's not enuff for folks to attend and sit on the bench and cheer. Jordan has basically been a shadow in the background.

I am a HUGE Jordan fan! Followed the Bulls b/c of him! But his heart is not here and we are fully aware of that. He is NOT seen as a member of the community here b/c he has not tried to be a member of the community.

It has nothing to do with bitterness.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:59 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,755,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
So if this is the case, lets look at the record. After the arena opened, we lost a major banking HQ, we have to condo towers that stopped construction and a 3rd that can't sell units. The epicenter next door to this place can't pay it's bills and people are going bankrupt because of it. 1000s have been laid off from downtown jobs. And even ridership on the much valted LRT is dropping.

So where do we get to the part about the benefits the NBA Arena are bringing to downtown?
Actually, the question for you is, what does any of the stuff you mentioned above have to do with the arena??? Nothing. Pertaining to the areana, one could argue that "because of it opening" the EpiCener resturants have opened (new jobs), Aloft hotel has opened (new jobs), an Uptown movie theater opened (new jobs), an Uptown bowling alley opened (new jobs), The Ritz hotel has opened (new jobs), the Sierra hotel will shortly be under construction (more jobs)...get the point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte