Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 08:05 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,735,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordysmama View Post
I just wanted to point out--

Jordan is not 'the majority owner' he owns a very small stake, but he is NOT the owner.

Second, do you go to the games? Because the last several I have been to he is a few rows down from me, screaming, cheering, and showing a huge amount of interest. He was also the first to admit that Adam Morrison was a mistake, hence while he traded him.

Bitter much?
Bitter? Trust me. I'm not the one sounding emotional in my post, you are.

Believe me I have no dog in this fight. Just calling it as I see it. Now MJ is taking more of an interest finally. Hopefully this will continue.

To be honest, I really do hope the Bobcats do well. IMO I don't think they've been doing a great job marketing the team, that's all....I do agree w/the other poster that 5 yrs is really not enough time, but LB was brought in as a top line coach and I would expect nothing less than making the playoffs this year (even though that's not a big accomplishment since a million teams make the playoffs in the NBA).

Is that too much to ask, or what will the excuse be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 AM

174 posts, read 404,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Actually, the question for you is, what does any of the stuff you mentioned above have to do with the arena??? Nothing. Pertaining to the areana, one could argue that "because of it opening" the EpiCener resturants have opened (new jobs), Aloft hotel has opened (new jobs), an Uptown movie theater opened (new jobs), an Uptown bowling alley opened (new jobs), The Ritz hotel has opened (new jobs), the Sierra hotel will shortly be under construction (more jobs)...get the point
That's exactly my point! The stuff that lumbello points out has everything to do with the economy and nothing to do with the arena.

Cities across America have used downtown stadiums/ arenas for the past couple of decades to bring up or revitalize downtowns. Why? Because it works.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:58 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,216,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post

Cities across America have used downtown stadiums/ arenas for the past couple of decades to bring up or revitalize downtowns. Why? Because it works.
Again there is no evidence to prove this. If you have some that you want to present then do so.

---------------------

The point in listing what I posted is to point out how silly these kinds of claims are. The arena had nothing to do with the failures related to the economy just like it can't take credit for all the construction that was related to the over heated economy.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:28 AM

174 posts, read 404,132 times
Is there concrete evidence that downtown stadiums create an economic boon? I don't know. Probably not. I do know that cities across America have used the stadium/ arena construction as a center piece for rejuvenation and/or growth. Is that just a ploy to gather support? Maybe, maybe not. Who knows? Maybe it's purely coincidental that urban areas seem to prosper and expand with options when a new arena is constructed. Or maybe not.

I know that I thought that the original arena was just fine and didn't need replaced. I also preferred the Checkers at Cricket Arena (Bojangles or whatever it is today). But, at the same time, I'll admit I do think having the arena downtown IS an asset to the city. I think it's accessability and localized location, with all the other entertainment options within a quick walk, has changed the dynamics of Uptown for the better. I was on a Raleigh forum just the other day and they were comparing Charlotte's Uptown growth to their own lack of growth, and the number one issue everyone kept bringing up was the mistake of building RBC outside of downtown.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:32 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,633,129 times
So, the answers for why there are so many empty seats are :

1) Hurt feelings from the Hornets
2) Anger that local elected officials decided to build the uptown arena despite a public referendum against it.
3) Poor performance by the team
4) Lack of particpation by Michael Jordan/poor acces to ownership by local media
5) No marquee players on the team
6) The team hires too many minorities

There you have it.

Last edited by baybook; 11-05-2009 at 10:54 AM..

Old 11-05-2009, 10:34 AM

Wasn't the project funded with increased hotel and rental car taxes? And if that's true, then our property taxes are not paying for the arena?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I would go to the Bobcats games here in Charlotte if they would be in some place other than that arena. You see I voted not to build it along with most of the voters. They may force me as a property owner to pay my taxes but they cant force me to support the place any more than that. I still find it hard to believe that they got away with tearing down the beautiful and modern arena we tax payers still owed 30 million on . There was never a problem having very large crowds there for many events. Great parking room and cheaper than the up town lots located in dark crime invested places too....they tore it down as if it were no more than one of the old shotgun houses once located in First Ward.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
So, the answers for why there are so many empty seats are :

1) Hurt feelings from the Hornets
2) Anger that local elected officials decided to build the uptown arena dispite a public referendum against it.
3) Poor performance by the team
4) Lack of particpation by Michael Jordan/poor acces to ownership by local media
5) No marquee players on the team
6) The team hires too many minorities

There you have it.
That's your list, not mine. And I don't think it sums the things up that have been said on this thread, either.

The OP asked for reasons, and folks put some out there and you have added some of your own, it appears.

As I said earlier, we could make lists of why there are folks in CLT who don't support NASCAR. Unless you are launching a marketing campaign, what does it matter?

I guess we could go poll every single person who lives in Charlotte and ask them if they are enthralled with the Bobcats or not - and if not - why not. I think we tried to answer the OP's question to the best of our ability.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:53 AM

Everything listed comes from a post on this thread. Feel free to fact check the list.

If you want to start a topic about Nascar, feel free. Maybe people will respond to your question. Or maybe people will obsess over your postings and ask why does it matter.

I don't appreciate the fact that you are obsessed with my postings on this topic. I don't know what your problem is, but it is your problem. And since it is your problem and it adds nothing to the discussion other than personal jabs, I'll add you to my ignore list. My postings seem to really bother you. You should do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That's your list, not mine. And I don't think it sums the things up that have been said on this thread, either.

The OP asked for reasons, and folks put some out there and you have added some of your own, it appears.

As I said earlier, we could make lists of why there are folks in CLT who don't support NASCAR. Unless you are launching a marketing campaign, what does it matter?

I guess we could go poll every single person who lives in Charlotte and ask them if they are enthralled with the Bobcats or not - and if not - why not. I think we tried to answer the OP's question to the best of our ability.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Quote:
Everything listed comes from a post on this thread. Feel free to fact check the list.

If you want to start a topic about Nascar, feel free. Maybe people will respond to your question. Or maybe people will obsess over your postings and ask why does it matter.

I don't appreciate the fact that you are obsessed with my postings on this topic. I don't know what your problem is, but it is your problem. And since it is your problem and it adds nothing to the discussion other than personal jabs, I'll add you to my ignore list. My postings seem to really bother you. You should do the same.
I am sorry, Baybook. Although I have not gone back and checked, but I believe I have probably responded on this thread to at least more than half the folks who have posted here. I honestly have no idea why you feel you are being singled out any more than I would feel I am being singled out.

As I tried to say in response to your list . . . the OP asked for reasons and we tried to give them reasons, but in the end, there is no way to totally define why folks do or do not support ANY sport in this region unless we polled them all. There may be other reasons out there (too far to drive, for ex) but no one has posted them yet . . .

Old 11-05-2009, 01:32 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,412,481 times
Quote:

I'll bet I already made baybrook's ignore list.

Did I, did I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte