Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:26 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Other suburbs to consider: Glen Ellyn, Naperville, La Grange, Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Elmhurst, Oak Park, River Forest, Western Springs, Downers Grove, Brookfield, Riverside, Arlington Heights and Park Ridge.
I think this is a pretty good list. I might add in Western Springs and Clarendon Hills. I personally would eliminate Park Ridge and Arlington Heights unless your husband is going to Great Lakes Naval quite often. Otherwise the daily commute to Loyola should really be your primary concern, and there are many western suburbs that meet your criteria. I might start with Oak Park, and if it is too congested and urban, you might then look around La Grange or Elmhurst.

If you do want to be in the city of Chicago, the centrally-located neighborhoods around the Loop probably give you the fastest commute to Maywood (Streeterville, River North, Gold Coast, South Loop, West Loop). Or the near west or northwest sides. Basically anything with a quick hop on the Eisenhower Expressway (I-290). If you look at anything north of the Chicago River, Lower Wacker Drive provides a quick option to hop on to 290 while bypassing a lot of the Loop traffic.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 09-15-2014 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 08:31 AM

15 posts, read 49,676 times
OP asked about commute times......

My spouse commutes daily to Loyola Hospital from Wheaton which takes 30-40 minutes during rush. Desirable towns to the east such as Elmhurst, Downers Grove or LaGrange would shave 10-20 minutes off of that time.

West/South Loop is an option. Previously we lived in the South Loop which was about a 25-35 minute drive (though with construction on the massive interchange near downtown, the commute has been challenging). For 3.5k/month you'll have a lot of housing options there with the many amenities the city has to offer.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:21 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Mostly good suggestions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundecker View Post

My spouse commutes daily to Loyola Hospital from Wheaton which takes 30-40 minutes during rush. Desirable towns to the east such as Elmhurst, Downers Grove or LaGrange would shave 10-20 minutes off of that time.

West/South Loop is an option. Previously we lived in the South Loop which was about a 25-35 minute drive (though with construction on the massive interchange near downtown, the commute has been challenging). For 3.5k/month you'll have a lot of housing options there with the many amenities the city has to offer.

Given the OP's desire for arts and potential to have DD work on teaching degree I would give highest marks to Elmhurst or Oak Park , though South Loop is very near the top of list too.

Elmhurst has a terrific downtown core with walkable college campus and museums / library just steps away. Very appealling range of rentals too.

Oak Park is closer to Loyola's Maywood campus but might not have as many modern apartments which makes living with adult daughter a bit more of a challenge -- no fun adapting to the "no in unit laundry" that is common in older buildings in Oak Park. South Loop is further but does have an abundance of modern rentals, as well as first rate access to the truly world class art musuems not to mention a much broader array of options for teacher colleges...

If you do a little shopping you might also find some well priced apartment or townhomes for rent in Lagrange, Brookfield. Berwyn and Riverside -- excellent access to Maywood with perhaps a bit less variety that Oak Park.

Downers Grove has seen some nice expansion of modern buildings at its core, but those are more geared to condo ownership than rental. Towns like Clarendon Hills have a few similar nicer condos / townhome that might be in budget for rental -- purchase is not wise given short time frame for stay... Wheaton is probably about as far west as one would stretch commute to Maywood, though nice mix of apartments and other ammenities may be worth a look.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Wheaton is probably about as far west as one would stretch commute to Maywood, though nice mix of apartments and other ammenities may be worth a look.
True on the commute times from Sundecker. Usually takes me about 35 mins to get over to Loyola during rush hour, 25 during non-peak. Arlington Heights and Naperville would be further, but I wouldn't discount them... both are still within the OP's target commute range and may have the mix of amenities and intangibles the OP wants. She did say her DH wouldn't mind upwards of an hour each way. The trade-off for the longer commute time is a deep discount on housing costs... which might help offset the costs of discretionary "fun" like owning a sailboat, or even tuition for a DD...

I would add that downtown Wheaton is home to the DuPage Art League which is a great place for fledgling and experienced artists alike.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 09-15-2014 at 05:52 PM..

Old 09-15-2014, 07:18 PM

671 posts, read 690,427 times
Thumbs up Chicago's "best" here...and the welcome wagon!

Hello to ALL of you wonderful responders!!!

Let me first say that you all gave such thoughtful and involved responses that included such pertinent information, it felt like the "welcome wagon" had come! If I could hug you all right now, I would!

In fact, I'm not ashamed to say that I actually shed a few tears - it's been a very rough day filled with doctor's appointments, as well as it was a medically/physically difficult one, too (from this d*mned condition I have).

The prospect of yet another "sudden" move (after 18 moves over the past 30 years in the military- the last one being this past May/June) is just so overwhelming for me right now - especially since my DEAR hubby first told me we'd be "semi-retiring" to our dream locale in Texas soon after leaving the military. Quite an unexpected surprise...
With regard to yet another (short notice) move, sorting, purging, and packing again is something I can't wrap my head around quite yet - also because of some very difficult circumstances I've struggled through lately (recent death of my mom, and several other sad challenges).

Also, with the initial anticipation of moving back to warmer weather, most of my winter clothing is in long-term storage with our larger furniture - we can't really have access to it until our "final" move...oh well, DH will just have to shell out some green for some great shopping "therapy"!!!

Cold weather severely exacerbates my condition as well...another concern. I'm trying not to whine here - if it's coming across that way, I apologize.

Overall, I AM very appreciative of the fact that he could find a great job so quickly, so that's another reason I really shouldn't complain...

Ultimately, Chicago and its environs has so much to offer, that it will be quite an adventure for us both...and I realize that! It's just that "getting there" is just a bit overwhelming right now.

Actually, just before I saw all of the responses, I was just about to send each of you a DM to ask all of the questions posted in my thread. Your usernames are all very familiar to me, after spending days and days on the Chicago moving threads and reading your posts. I just knew that each of you could offer great perspectives - and in seeing your responses, I'm not at all disappointed!

Well, please allow me a day or so to really pour through what you've written, and I'll reply to each post afterwards. At this point, I believe that the information you've shared with regard to my specific criteria will help us enormously!!!

I'll also post our progress...and along the way, will most likely have a few more questions, if y'all don't mind!
- A hear-felt thank you, again, from my DH and me!

cheers,

Dandiday

Old 09-16-2014, 07:17 AM

Default starting to get my top 5-10

Hello!
Well, DH and I decided to make several spreadsheets with various scenarios...with weighted wish-list items. Then, we'll take those results into a master spreadsheet. (He's still toying with the idea of a purchase...if it's the right place, right price...).

We'll rent something temporarily (furnished/corporate housing), and walk the various neighborhoods that are in our "top 3" or so, as well as drive the various commutes.

It's a shame that commuter lines don't go past this large institution...I'm sure that would help both employees, students, and patients!

I'll start to answer your posts below - will shorten some for space and brevity's sake:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
I assume you are talking about the Great Lakes Naval Base in North Chicago? If so, that would be a very long and frustrating drive to Loyola Hospital. And you definitely do not want to live in North Chicago - as you would not want to live in Maywood either. If you are not aware, North Chicago where the Naval Base is located is not the same as the north side of the city of Chicago. Night and day, and about 30 miles apart.

Are you looking for some place midway between North Chicago and Maywood? Something like Arlington Heights perhaps? Honestly, I think you are going to need to prioritize your requirements because I can't think of anywhere in the Chicago area that hits even most of what you are looking for.
OK -obviously the Naval base is too far (we have to get a good map- I'm just going by rough measurements on google.) Hahaha...at first, I thought it was only about 15-20 miles! From the sounds of the more-desirable neighborhoods that followed, there weren't many options between Maywood and the base. I'll check out Arlington Heights, thought.

I guess we're still a bit nervous about going to a new place without the proximity and support of a base nearby...there's a first time for everything, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
If you want to be closer to Great Lakes, you could look at suburbs along I294, but your commute to Maywood gets significantly longer. Park Ridge has a nice downtown, much smaller than Oak Park, but it does have a movie theater, Trader Joes, and commuter rail service to Chicago. I know there is some midrise new construction confiding downtown Park Ridge, don't know about rentals.

Arlington Heights has a very nice downtown with lots of amenities and train service to Chicago. Don't know about commute times to Loyola though.

Elmhurst is close to Loyola and a straight shot up I294 to Great Lakes. On weekends it should be fast and uncongested.

LaGrange is very close to Loyola, much less urban than Oak Park (this can be considered a good or a bad thing), small but quaint downtown.
Very good suggestions - I will check into A.H. Elmhurst and LaGrange have popped up in many posts - they are in my "top 10" so far. Thank you!

Quote:
I live in Wheaton, which is a 25-30 min drive due west of Loyola Medical Center. About a year ago, I went through the same paring-down process you are currently undertaking -- and while we have obvious demographic differences, my core checklist was much the same as yours is now. As long as Great Lakes Naval Base access is not a must-have, Wheaton might be a good fit.

I found Wheaton to have one of the most charming, walkable downtown districts in the Western burbs. district and is ranked #75 among all colleges and universities in the US by Forbes. The Evangelical liberal arts college has also been ranked #56 in the country by US News and World Report.

Numerous large employers have global or regional headquarters within a couple miles of Wheaton's border, which adds to the overall stability of the community. Companies include BP, Navistar, Alcatel-Lucent, Exelon, RR Donnelly, Patterson Medical, Catamaran, Calamos Investments, BMO Harris, Texas Instruments, ConAgra, Unilever and many more.

The biggest benefit Wheaton offers is the price difference versus other desirable Western suburbs -- you and your DH would get a lot of bang for your buck. If your interested in renting, check out the brand-new Wheaton 121. You should be able to get up to a 3-bedroom live/work townhome with $3500/mo, and there is an in-house gym and swimming pool. If you're interested in buying, there are numerous in-town single families, townhomes and condos within your price range.

Other suburbs to consider: Glen Ellyn, Naperville, La Grange, Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Elmhurst, Oak Park, River Forest, Western Springs, Downers Grove, Brookfield, Riverside, Arlington Heights and Park Ridge. Given your criteria and work location, I would seriously question any towns outside of the fifteen mentioned. The only one that gets you closer to Great Lakes is Park Ridge. However, I don't believe close proximity to the lake will mean you will be there more often. I have friends and coworkers all along the North Shore, some just a few blocks from the water -- and I have been to the lake as many times as they have this summer. If you have a sailboat, you'll have it docked somewhere either on Michigan or the Chain o Lakes and you'll drive to it and go sailing as often as you can... whether you live in Naperville or Winnetka.

I appreciate all the info you provided and I hope you continue to give updates on your search!
Holl1ingsworth, I appreciate all of the info YOU provided! Wow! I had to cut all of the amenities from your post - but they were fantastic! That's the type of community we were looking for. The Dupage Art League certainly caught my eye...very similar to ones I've been associated with before!

Of course, you're absolutely correct about getting to the Lake...it's more of a pipe dream than reality. For the amount of times we would actually go there, I don't know if it's worth compromising on the neighborhood and other amenities.
Your list above overlaps what I've been able to glean over the past few days from my research, as well as the posts here. Thank you...it confirms what I've come up with, and I feel more confident restricting my search to these towns mentioned!

A huge thank you again!
Dandiday

Old 09-16-2014, 07:52 AM

Thumbs up thank you for the great neighborhood and commute info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think this is a pretty good list. I might add in Western Springs and Clarendon Hills. I personally would eliminate Park Ridge and Arlington Heights unless your husband is going to Great Lakes Naval quite often. Otherwise the daily commute to Loyola should really be your primary concern, and there are many western suburbs that meet your criteria. I might start with Oak Park, and if it is too congested and urban, you might then look around La Grange or Elmhurst.

If you do want to be in the city of Chicago, the centrally-located neighborhoods around the Loop probably give you the fastest commute to Maywood (Streeterville, River North, Gold Coast, South Loop, West Loop). Or the near west or northwest sides. Basically anything with a quick hop on the Eisenhower Expressway (I-290). If you look at anything north of the Chicago River, Lower Wacker Drive provides a quick option to hop on to 290 while bypassing a lot of the Loop traffic.
Hi Lookout Kid - I've put your extremely helpful statements in bold...this is SO helpful to know! Again, you concur with many others with OP, Elmhurst, and LG. I didn't know if the other neighborhoods you mentioned around the Loop were safe enough - so I appreciate you mentioning them - will check them out as well.
Also, the hints about avoiding traffic are golden - it's this "insider's knowledge" we need to discover in finding our best location!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundecker View Post

Sundecker, thank you for your excellent "insider's" view as well! DH will want to know the commute times. He's not adverse to a long commute, (so he says )...but I think our marriage will last longer if he doesn't have to battle a lot of traffic every day!!!

So, it does sound like you prefer the lifestyle of Wheaton over that of the Chicago loop now, even though the commute is slightly longer. Is it basically because of the amenities and more suburban feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Given the OP's desire for arts and potential to have DD work on teaching degree I would give highest marks to Elmhurst or Oak Park , though South Loop is very near the top of list too.

Elmhurst has a terrific downtown core with walkable college campus and museums / library just steps away. Very appealling range of rentals too.

Oak Park is closer to Loyola's Maywood campus but might not have as many modern apartments which makes living with adult daughter a bit more of a challenge -- no fun adapting to the "no in unit laundry" that is common in older buildings in Oak Park. South Loop is further but does have an abundance of modern rentals, as well as first rate access to the truly world class art musuems not to mention a much broader array of options for teacher colleges...

If you do a little shopping you might also find some well priced apartment or townhomes for rent in Lagrange, Brookfield. Berwyn and Riverside -- excellent access to Maywood with perhaps a bit less variety that Oak Park.

Downers Grove has seen some nice expansion of modern buildings at its core, but those are more geared to condo ownership than rental. Towns like Clarendon Hills have a few similar nicer condos / townhome that might be in budget for rental -- purchase is not wise given short time frame for stay... Wheaton is probably about as far west as one would stretch commute to Maywood, though nice mix of apartments and other ammenities may be worth a look.
Chet, thank you for giving the additional perspective of our DD living with us. I did notice that the state Univ's campuses were to the east of Maywood. So if our "princess" decides to grace us with her presence, we'll have to go with your suggestions above.

If not, we'll explore the other towns (still in our "top 10") to the west.

Quote:
True on the commute times from Sundecker. Usually takes me about 35 mins to get over to Loyola during rush hour, 25 during non-peak. Arlington Heights and Naperville would be further, but I wouldn't discount them... both are still within the OP's target commute range and may have the mix of amenities and intangibles the OP wants. She did say her DH wouldn't mind upwards of an hour each way. The trade-off for the longer commute time is a deep discount on housing costs... which might help offset the costs of discretionary "fun" like owning a sailboat, or even tuition for a DD...

I would add that downtown Wheaton is home to the DuPage Art League which is a great place for fledgling and experienced artists alike.
Yes! Oh, and we don't have the sailboat yet...another pipe dream. We're saving up for a small used one.
BTW, a thread back in '08 spoke about salaries of people living in the North Shore, and a great deal was made about doctor's salaries. I think you'll find that the average salary of doctors in general is not as high as one would think. Of course, certain sub-specialties combined with certain positions at hospitals can skew this much higher. A Neuro-radiologist can command a salary 3-4 times that of an internist, for example. Also, military docs are way below the salary curve for at least the first 15-20 years in service. So, don't assume that all doctors can afford the NS, or most of downtown Chicago, for that matter. If they do, I'd wonder if they're "house poor"!

Having said that, I know that for the state of Texas, salaries of docs at teaching hospitals has been eroding tremendously over the years; they approximate, or are just slightly higher than that of other professors at other colleges/univ. Many docs have left academia for that reason, to the detriment of the medical schools there.
We, and most of our peers that we've known over the years are just trying to both live safely, budget-wise, as well as save for our retirement. So, although we can afford a 3.5 rental, we'd be relieved if we could find one in the 2.5 -2.7 range!

Anyway, if we DO get our sailboat, we'll be sure to have a party with all you CD responders!

Thank you so much,
Dandiday

Old 09-16-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
Hi Lookout Kid - I've put your extremely helpful statements in bold...this is SO helpful to know! Again, you concur with many others with OP, Elmhurst, and LG. I didn't know if the other neighborhoods you mentioned around the Loop were safe enough - so I appreciate you mentioning them - will check them out as well.
Also, the hints about avoiding traffic are golden - it's this "insider's knowledge" we need to discover in finding our best location!
Thank you for your gratitude! You are coming across as a very kind person.

Yes, Oak Park, Elmhurst, and La Grange all make sense in terms of proximity. Maywood itself perhaps one of the worst Chicago suburbs in terms of crime, poverty, and blight, and there are some other suburban areas nearby that are, frankly, just not very nice. So I think the reason you are getting similar advice from people is that these are nice suburbs near Loyola. But La Grange is only 15,000 people, so you may also like La Grange Park, Western Springs, etc... These are adjacent to La Grange and have the types of amenities you seem interested in. Elmhurst and Oak Park are larger suburbs.

You could also look further west and have a decent commute. Hollingsworth likes to point out that you get more for your money in Wheaton. Glen Ellyn is, on average, a bit more expensive than Wheaton, but right next door. Most of the suburbs along the BNSF Metra route are also very nice, from La Grange all the way west to Naperville. Pretty much all of these towns will have similar amenities to what Hollingsworth described above.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:34 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
...We, and most of our peers that we've known over the years are just trying to both live safely, budget-wise, as well as save for our retirement. So, although we can afford a 3.5 rental, we'd be relieved if we could find one in the 2.5 -2.7 range!
Here is a nice on-budget rental in the heart of Wheaton:

255 E. Liberty Dr. #6082, WHEATON, IL 60187 | Zillow

I'll second LoK on the fact you seem like a really nice person. However, I've noticed on some of your other posts that your claws really come out when discussing politics. Does the political reputation of your future hometown need to be considered?

Old 09-16-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I'll second LoK on the fact you seem like a really nice person. However, I've noticed on some of your other posts that your claws really come out when discussing politics.
LOL, after reading some of those political posts, I take back what I said! Move to Maywood, DandiDay, you'll love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs