Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:33 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
In Beverly the starbucks on 103rd and Longwood closes at 10 in the summer. Tons of pretty well-off white teenegers hang out there alone in large groups until closing (without their parents). They don't scare me at all.
I'm not talking about starbucks LOL...that isn't "the streets."

Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
I'm not talking about starbucks LOL...that isn't "the streets."
well, that's true, but they all got their walking, and I often pass them on the way.

Point is that if you're in a group of black male teenagers, I give the worse possible interpretation of what you're up to, and never the benefit of the doubt.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:39 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Default Young people should not be hanging out on street corners late at night

I was robbed and nearly killed in 1998 in St. Louis by 4 black males "hanging out" near a street corner as I was walking to a McDonald's a few blocks east of Washington University. In St. Louis, it gets pretty bad quickly as you get east of the university (Clayton, University City).

In 2007 I was ripped off by my black trainer to the tune of $3,000, in Palatine. I still have a lien on his house, which from what I understand is in foreclosure.

In 2006-2008, I was nearly held hostage in a building I owned by the 3 black families that lived in there and ended up evicting all 3 and end up losing $15,000.

In all fairness, in 2009, I lost around $8,000 to a Puerto Rican family that I just evicted, $5,000 in lost rent and $3,000 in repairs.

It is fair to say I HATE GHETTO PEOPLE and wish they would be wiped off this planet.

Right or wrong, white teenagers are not seen as doing anything wrong, maybe at worst hanging out and skateboarding. They are not the ones selling drugs or doing other gang activity.

I would not have a problem with a group of black teenagers hanging out at that Starbucks, so long as they were clean-cut and not ghetto looking. Besides, if they were too ghetto looking I am positive the police would enforce no loitering ordinances and break them up. This might happen too if they were white if enough people complained as well.

10PM is not 2AM. And it is Starbucks, not some street corner in the city controlled by a gang.

Skye,

Just curious, why did you move from Lansing?

Old 04-10-2009, 10:41 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
Quote:
well, that's true, but they all got their walking, and I often pass them on the way.

Point is that if you're in a group of black male teenagers, I give the worse possible interpretation of what you're up to, and never the benefit of the doubt.
i know and that's something the black community needs to fix. it's a shame and it ruins our society.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Skye,

Just curious, why did you move from Lansing?
We got a good deal on a bigger house in NWI so my MIL could move in with us.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:56 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,370 times
Quote:
It's all about survival and sanity at that point.
Tell me about it.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 PM

If you find yourself in Beverly go talk to the owner of the Blue Moon Cafe' on 99th and Wood. She reluctantly recently moved from beverly to Homewood because of the public schools (and she couldn't get her daughter into Barnabas for whatever reason). She can do a good comparison of the neighborhoods. I know she really misses Beverly but recognizes that H-F high school is much better than Morgan Park. She says Homewood is very nice. She is white by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_60611 View Post
This is true, when I first moved to Chicago they said to stay clear of LakeView, now it seems to be certified HOT. In regards to our other topic, Beverly is actually our first choice however, we aren’t finding the size dwelling we’d like for the price we want to spend. FYI. I just killed a deal to purchase a building there--the seller started “acting up” due to her finances, or lack thereof. Also wasn't trying to offend, with last comment, I asked the question about your kids because given the fact that you are somewhat uptight about, some blacks, I was wondering if you let your feelings filter to them, as is sometimes the case. (FYI. We are experincing this now with our daughter, and lack of invites to parties and other), and so diversity is very important to us. No worries here, and again my apoligizes if you took comments the wrong way. Lastly I agree with Hyde Park being somewhat suspect--a far cry from what it use to be.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:41 PM

Look east -- Prospect Avenue e.g. in east beverly has some very large homes on triple and quadruple lots for pretty reasonable prices now. I know a few houses on wood that are in very good shape for around 300K (though not that big, but with large yards). These prices are much better than a few years ago. Up the hill if you want anything in good shape of reasonable size you're starting closer to 500. 400 if it needs work.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:08 PM

26 posts, read 80,636 times
Hmm, I was trying to stay closer to centeral Beverly, prospect is too close to church and sketchy Washington Heights. We've actually been monitoring beverly and the housing stock for a min, and as far as I can see one would want to stay away from beverly's east and west borders. FYI. We are looking for at least 2200sf--which is hard to come by in beverly, unless I want to spend some serious $$$$, or don't mind doing some fixing

Old 04-10-2009, 02:15 PM

I live east in a huge house (much bigger than 2200 sq feet) on an even bigger lot. It is totally fine. I've already voiced my opinion regarding the only thing that bugs me. But if the occasional group of black teenage boys doesn't bother you then it really isn't that sketchy at all. Lots of families with old people mixed in. Very evenly divided racially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_60611 View Post
Hmm, I was trying to stay closer to centeral Beverly, prospect is too close to church and sketchy Washington Heights. We've actually been monitoring beverly and the housing stock for a min, and as far as I can see one would want to stay away from beverly's east and west borders. FYI. We are looking for at least 2200sf--which is hard to come by in beverly, unless I want to spend some serious $$$$, or don't mind doing some fixing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs