Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:28 AM

758 posts, read 591,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
People ask a lot of questions that they could easily find answers to if they'd take a minute to look it up - they'd get their answer faster as well. I work with people like that and it's a pet peeve.
I understand your sentiment. However, one of my biggest pet peeves is when I ask someone a question and they give me the runaround instead of a straight answer. That often happens when I look up things on Google. For instance, I'll want to know about bratwursts, and then they'll give me ten articles about Nazi Germany or something else unrelated. In any event, this thread isn't about pet peeves. It's about Chicago. I'm glad I came to a city that seems to suit me well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
isn't it easier to just say "its been canceled" rather than typing 'google is your friend' regarding the spire question?
Thank you! Unfortunately giving straight answers on City Data is like pulling teeth for some folks. That's one thing I noticed about this website. They're like my ex-girlfriend. I'd always have to ask her ten questions before she finally gave the correct answer. She got tedious to deal with. In any event, I'm impressed by just about everything with the Windy City save for the road.

Last edited by Mephistopheles; 09-09-2011 at 07:58 AM..

Old 09-09-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666northstate View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath.

Ah yes! Spoken like a true Republican. Let me guess! You hope Congress filibusters this bill, too. That way the economy can really crash, more people can be unemployed, and they can pin it all on Obama, right?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:41 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus528 View Post
Ah yes! Spoken like a true Republican. Let me guess! You hope Congress filibusters this bill, too. That way the economy can really crash, more people can be unemployed, and they can pin it all on Obama, right?
ah tip. The northern/northwest burbs are a republican strong hold and they like their area "rural".. i.e. few/small/not well lit roads. Even if they had the money it is doubtful they would upgrade much.

The city itself the inner burbs(and esp. some of the southern burbs) are a demcratic strong hold.

The state itself is light blue not dark blue shall we say. We love moderate republicans and democrates.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
ah tip. The northern/northwest burbs are a republican strong hold and they like their area "rural".. i.e. few/small/not well lit roads. Even if they had the money it is doubtful they would upgrade much.

The city itself the inner burbs(and esp. some of the southern burbs) are a demcratic strong hold.

The state itself is light blue not dark blue shall we say. We love moderate republicans and democrates.
I kind of figured as much. That phenomenon isn't unique to Illinois. Most blue areas in all states are urban areas. The redder ones are more rural. A lot of people move out to the country because they want to have white neighbors though most of them wouldn't admit it.

What's most unusual about all this is the house where I'm staying is in Lake County. I'm living with five other men that are all either from Northern Illinois or Southern Wisconsin, yet they're all a bunch of Republicans. A couple of them are even tea baggers. I'm from Central Texas, and I'm the most liberal person in the entire household. Funny how that works sometimes!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:06 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus528 View Post
Does anyone have any other suggestions about things to add? I'm pretty sure there most be more than 10 places.
Specific things/places to see:
Field Museum
Art Institute of Chicago
Museum of Science
Museum of Contemporary Art
Millennium Park
Architecture boat tour
Bahai Temple
Ukrainian Institute of Modern Art
Dusable Museum
National Museum of Mexican Art
Lincoln Park Zoo
Garfield Park Conservatory
Water Tower
Chicago Cultural Center
City Hall
Rookery Building (have to be sneaky to see the inside here)

General areas/neighborhoods worth exploring:
Lincoln Park neighborhood, esp. Armitage Street near the Armitage Brown Line stop and Halsted St between North Ave and Fullerton
University of Chicago in Hyde Park
Lakeview, esp. Halsted between Belmont and Addison and Broadway between Diversey and Addison, and Diversey between Sheridan and Orchard
Wicker Park neighborhood, esp. Division between Paulina and Leavitt, and Milwaukee between Division and Wabansia and Damen between Division and Armitage
Andersonville, esp. Clark between Argyle and Bryn Mawr
Chinatown, esp. Wentworth between Cermak and 26th, and the Chinatown Square development on the north side of Archer between Wells and Princeton.
Lincoln Square, esp. Lincoln St between Lawrence and Sunnyside
Taylor Street, between Ashland and Racine
Greektown, Halsted between Madison and Van Buren
River North Gallery District, a few blocks in every direction from the intersection of Superior and Franklin
Logan Square/Avondale, esp. Milwaukee from Fullerton to Central Park
Dearborn Parkway from Chicago Ave to North Ave.
Old Town, from Division St. to Lincoln St.
Printers Row, esp. the few blocks around Harrison and Dearborn.
Ukrainian Village, esp. the area between Damen and Western, Division and Superior.
Devon Ave, esp. a few blocks in either direction around Western Ave.
Southport Ave, esp. between Roscoe and Irving Park
West Lakeview, esp. along Milwaukee from Belmont to Irving Park.
Six Corners neighborhod, around the intersection of Irving Park and Milwaukee Ave, esp. along Irving Park and Milwaukee west and north of the intersection.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:27 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Have you made it into the city often?

Old 09-09-2011, 12:07 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
People ask a lot of questions that they could easily find answers to if they'd take a minute to look it up - they'd get their answer faster as well. I work with people like that and it's a pet peeve.
My pet peeve is people who spend more time being insulting than it would take to answer even an admittedly-simple question.

It makes no sense to complain about efficiency when you are wasting time and calories just being contrarian.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:30 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,990,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
My pet peeve is people who spend more time being insulting than it would take to answer even an admittedly-simple question.

It makes no sense to complain about efficiency when you are wasting time and calories just being contrarian.
If you read the whole thread, you will see that I answered a whole bunch of his questions.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:14 PM

Okay, then. So perhaps someone can answer more questions for me. I'm starting to learn more about Chicago and comparing it to other cities. Here's what I've concluded thus far if I were to compare it to New York.

Millenium Park is their Central Park
The Willis Tower is their Empire State Building
Hancock Center is their Chrysler Building
Buckingham Fountain is their Statue of Liberty
State Street is their Broadway
Michigan Avenue is their Saks Fifth Avenue
Union Station is their Grand Central Station
Lincoln Park is their Battery Park
The Field Museum is their Guggenheim Museum
The Trump Tower is their Waldorf-Astoria Hotel

Now I'm going to compare it to San Francisco:

Lake Shore Drive is their Embarcadero Road
Navy Pier is their Fisherman's Wharf

Here's some more questions I have about Chicago. What area of town is its Skidrow or Haight-Ashbury? I'm talking about the area where all the artists, Bohemians, and new agers live? And what area is its Greenwich Village or Castro District where the gay community lives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago