Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:59 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,001,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus528 View Post
What about to Waukegan? If I'm not mistaken, I think the actual job might be in a Waukegan. I didn't see it on a map.
Ug now you may have a problem. Waukegan is a far north burb of Chicago, there are some connecting Pace bus routes to the Metra Station. Metra Union Pacific North (UP-N) Station. Also depending on where you work you might travel out of the North Chicago Station(or other station on the line).

Metra is our commuter rail system and ofcourse it is going to have hour long waits between trains(it isn't the CTA). It's job it to connect the city with the burbs(i.e. not to take you within a city or a burb). Metra is very much on time and there is a lot of service on this line, but Metra is not as good at reverse commutes. It is more geared to getting people into to the city to work and out of the city after work. Make sure there is a train or two to or from work.

Pace is our suburban bus system. Unlike the CTA PACE runs fewer buses and the buses may stop earlier. They are ontime and clean, but their frequency can be a problem.

Additionally the burbs themselves may lack sidewalks making walking any distance a problem.

In the burbs you may need a car, and the distance between Chicago and Waukegan is pretty far: By train(which is going to be about the same as driving non rush and better than driving rush) it is 40 mins between Roger's Park(the last stop in Chicago) and Waukegan.

You need to make sure there is a way to get to work from the METRA stop to work(A Pace Route, A shuttle from work, A bike(maybe depending on Metra's rules on bikes), A sidewalk or a short walk) or else you will need a car(and possibly need to live near Waukgen cause there are no good drives this way).

If you are able to live in Chicago the areas you would living in are Roger's Park, Ravenswood, Bucktown, maybe west loop. So that you are not too far from the Metra line. You could also live in the burb of Evanston(which is a pretty urban place itself).

Last edited by chirack; 07-05-2011 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 06:48 PM

I also took a look at the pace routes in the area, I would call the RTA or use their web site to make sure of your route cause it looks like some of the connecting busses to the Metra station are either near it(but not at it) or you need to catch a bus to transfer to them. It also looks like the place has sidewalks. However make sure that this Metra Station and Line is the one you need(there are other burbs with their own Metra stations and lines in the area) and if you need to use a differnt line that changes where in the city you need to live(or if it is possible to live in town at all(depending on service)).

Old 07-05-2011, 08:45 PM

758 posts, read 591,386 times
Here's one thing about Chicago I've always wondered. What is the name of that building in Downtown Chicago with a sloped roof that looks like a diamond. It's one of the smaller structures, yet it's very conspicuous. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I believe that's the same building from that movie Adventures in Babysitting.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Here's one thing about Chicago I've always wondered. What is the name of that building in Downtown Chicago with a sloped roof that looks like a diamond. It's one of the smaller structures, yet it's very conspicuous. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I believe that's the same building from that movie Adventures in Babysitting.
The Smurfit-Stone Building?

Smurfit-Stone Building, Chicago - Building Info

Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Thank you! That's the one!

Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 PM

Good news, everyone! I just got off the phone with the AmeriCorps recruiter in Chicago. She said I was the most suitable candidate who applied for the position and the one she really wanted. I'm also getting a second interview tomorrow from the director. This to me is a good sign! I'll keep you all posted in the interim.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Quote:
So who can tell me the best pizza parlor in Chicago because there's a strong likelihood I might be going there after all. Shall I visit Pizzeria Uno, Gino's East, or someplace else. I'm intrigued!
Lou Malnati's!

Old 07-06-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Good news, everyone! I just got off the phone with the AmeriCorps recruiter in Chicago. She said I was the most suitable candidate who applied for the position and the one she really wanted. I'm also getting a second interview tomorrow from the director. This to me is a good sign! I'll keep you all posted in the interim.
If you can try to get a position located in Chicago itself cause the Waukegan one is going to be too far to commute by car and only possible if Metra is an option.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
If you can try to get a position located in Chicago itself cause the Waukegan one is going to be too far to commute by car and only possible if Metra is an option.
The job itself is in Waukegan which is why I'm getting my car fixed. I just took Boston off my list because some dirtbag on another thread was incredibly rude to me. His crassness reminded me how much I hate the East Coast. I can't stand all the prissyness and hostility back there. That's all the reason more why I should come to Chicago under the auspices that it's a friendly city. I won't go anywhere near New York City or anywhere else on the East Coast now. Several other places have been eliminated - including San Francisco. That only leaves Chicago, L.A., Seattle, and Denver.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
The job itself is in Waukegan which is why I'm getting my car fixed. I just took Boston off my list because some dirtbag on another thread was incredibly rude to me. His crassness reminded me how much I hate the East Coast. I can't stand all the prissyness and hostility back there. That's all the reason more why I should come to Chicago under the auspices that it's a friendly city. I won't go anywhere near New York City or anywhere else on the East Coast now. Several other places have been eliminated - including San Francisco. That only leaves Chicago, L.A., Seattle, and Denver.
The problem is that it is a long drive from the city. Non rush about 40 mins(from maybe Irving Park---worse if you are further south), with traffic or snow that could climb to 1:30-2:00. That is much too far to drive from the city itself.

If you want to live in Chicago, you are going to need Metra to make this commute sane otherwise it will be quite a grind daily and the sanity Metra would bring would be the ability not to be stuck in traffic from O'hare all the way in at rush.

The other possibility would be to live in or near Waukegan and commute to chicago on the weekends but that does not sound like what you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago