Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:39 PM

20 posts, read 16,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus528 View Post
That being said, I'd have a choice of going to either the South Bronx in New York, South Central Los Angeles, or the worst part of Chicago.
So they told you the name of the neighborhood?

Quote:
nobody said I had to live in that part of town or even work with the public.
So why do you care about crime levels in the worst neighborhoods in the city?

I don't get it. You are contradicting yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 10:40 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
Quote:
I'm doing my research now. Why do you think I'm not going to Detroit, Washington, Baltimore, or Miami? I just explained. It's only a one-year commitment. That being said, I'd have a choice of going to either the South Bronx in New York, South Central Los Angeles, or the worst part of Chicago. Take your pick! It's only temporary, and nobody said I had to live in that part of town or even work with the public. My specialty will be in environmental work, and I'll only be working 35 hours a week. Part of my research entails asking questions and taking a consensus. Mainly, I'm trying to figure out why I should choose Chicago over L.A. other than the fact that it's cheaper and doesn't have a bad smog problem.
City-wide crime statistics are worse for Chicago than LA. I would hazard a guess that the worst neighborhoods in Chicago have more significant crime problems than the worst neighborhoods of LA, but I have no good data to back that up.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:41 PM

758 posts, read 591,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
In other words, the deal is off as long as the location has some type of civilization. Have you looked into maybe Fairbanks, Alaska. I think that'd be a perfection location for you!
I'm not afraid of a big city. Did you read the part where I said I grew up in Houston - the fourth largest city in America behind Chicago? The reason I'm not going back to the East Coast is because I couldn't stand the people. I lived in New York when I was in middle school, and I loathed it. The locals were nasty and belligerent, and they didn't like outsiders. I'm not going to live somewhere where I'll feel like a pariah. I didn't feel that way when I was in L.A. because half the people there are all transplants. Fairbanks, Alaska, is too cold, and there are no job opportunities there. Plus, the population in Alaska is ten men for every woman, so that's a guaranteed deal breaker.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzystradlin View Post
So they told you the name of the neighborhood?

So why do you care about crime levels in the worst neighborhoods in the city?

I don't get it. You are contradicting yourself.
No, they didn't tell me the name of the neighborhood. AmeriCorps is like the Peace Corps in the United States. They send people to impoverished areas to improve the quality of life and make poor folks better educated and healthier. It's humanitarian work. Therefore, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they're going to send me to an area that's probably been hammered with urban blight.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:49 PM

312 posts, read 713,518 times
I would take the worst part of Chicago over the South Bronx (with the exception of Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil )

Old 04-30-2011, 10:50 PM

Also, as for places to stay after Americorps, I would take Chicago over LA (personally, I hate LA) or NY (I loved New York but it's expensive even if you live in Brooklyn or Queens, imo)

Old 04-30-2011, 10:50 PM

Look, I've never been to Chicago, but I'm willing to give it a go. I've already lived in New York and L.A. I know the mindset of both cities. I've also traveled all around the United States. The only region of the country I've never been is the Great Lakes. Because I know the mentality of the East Coast and the South is why I've ruled those areas out. Alaska and Hawaii are probably unavailable because I don't think there are too many people living in abject poverty in either state considering how expensive it is to live in both.

The only beef I have with Chicago is the two baseball teams. I'm an Astros fan, and the Cubs are in the same division. It was a heartbreaking watching their crosstown counterparts sweep the 'Stros in the World Series four years ago. That being said, those qualms are infinitesimal compared to the bad blood I have with New York City. Perhaps none of you know this, but Texans and New Yorkers have the same love/hate relationship that the British and French do. That I learned the hard way when I lived in New York. Also, several bad things happened to me there, but that's another story.

The bottom line is there are too many personal conflicts that would interfere if I were to work in New York. I'm already signed up for AmeriCorps, and I'm trying to figure out where would be a good place. Now that I already know where I WILL NOT go, I'm trying to figure out where I WILL go. In other words, I'm going through the process of elimination. Last but not least, I have no hard feelings towards the Cubs or the White Sox because it's just a darn baseball game.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:51 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,001,481 times
Poverty and crime go hand and hand. I grew up in one of the areas you could be assigned to. In general with Chicago you can get robbed or raped anywhere. However with low income areas comes the additional danger of getting caught in drive by shootings, gang shootings, ect. If you fear crime then what you are doing is a bad fit in any city and street sense goes a very long way.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:54 PM

Maybe you should look into Milwaukee

Old 04-30-2011, 10:54 PM

20 posts, read 16,654 times
Quote:
Look, I've never been to Chicago, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Do you think you can hop on a Greyhound and check the city out first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago