Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:10 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,261,925 times

Advertisements

Absolutely. At $15, you'd not only gain commuters, but you'd also open the door for the curious types who figure, "for $15, why not?"

As it is right now, my wife and I visit Milwaukee about 3-4 times a year. I'd say we'd double it if we were able to take the train for that cheaply. I detest driving anywhere for more than 45 minutes, so the fact that I spend an hour and a half in the car to MKE means I'm somewhat dedicated for a day trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,424,483 times
Yeah it's too bad. Instead of lowering the prices on this route, Amtrak has been increasing the price. I remember a few years ago when it was $20 to take the Hiawatha from Chicago to Milwaukee. Then recently it was $22 I think. Just this month I think they raised it to $24 one-way. I don't think Amtrak's Hiawatha is subsidized nearly to the same degree as Metra is. I do believe that Hiawatha is one of Amtrak's few profitable routes (correct me if I'm wrong here guys).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Absolutely. At $15, you'd not only gain commuters, but you'd also open the door for the curious types who figure, "for $15, why not?"

As it is right now, my wife and I visit Milwaukee about 3-4 times a year. I'd say we'd double it if we were able to take the train for that cheaply. I detest driving anywhere for more than 45 minutes, so the fact that I spend an hour and a half in the car to MKE means I'm somewhat dedicated for a day trip.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:48 PM

439 posts, read 955,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
$50 to ride there and back? No thanks; I'll just drive.
And that's just for one person. Plus you have to factor in that you have to go downtown which takes about an hour for me from Lincoln Square. If I could take Metra there for $7.00 RT on the weekend and bring my bike then I'd consider a train a viable option. Someone must be paying it though, probably people from MWK going to Chicago than the other way around.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:09 AM

8,292 posts, read 23,129,728 times
Plus megabus is pretty cheap these days along with badger bus, yeah the Hiawatha line is subsidized and is still that expensive, I remember when the train used to cost 19! The problem if metra would be extended up to downtown MKE that trip might take 3 hours with all the stops in between.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:53 AM

439 posts, read 955,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Plus megabus is pretty cheap these days along with badger bus, yeah the Hiawatha line is subsidized and is still that expensive, I remember when the train used to cost 19! The problem if metra would be extended up to downtown MKE that trip might take 3 hours with all the stops in between.

Its an hour and 23 minutes from downtown Chicago to Kenosha. Going all the way to Milwaukee isn't going to add an hour and a half.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:19 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,682,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Its an hour and 23 minutes from downtown Chicago to Kenosha. Going all the way to Milwaukee isn't going to add an hour and a half.
Ride the Rock Island and tell me how long it takes just to get through Beverly.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:14 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,786,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post

This is why I don't see a reason to go to Milwaukee. Why drive 2 hours to do stuff that you can do in Chicago?

Old 07-22-2012, 05:46 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,261,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Ride the Rock Island and tell me how long it takes just to get through Beverly.
Ha! I've always thought that all those stops clustered together were completely unnecessary. It's just as much of a cluster**** as the redline is up north.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,846,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
This is why I don't see a reason to go to Milwaukee. Why drive 2 hours to do stuff that you can do in Chicago?
i have to respectfully disagree. I think Chicago and Milwaukee compliment each other perfectly. Chicago is the huge city and Milwaukee a big one. Chicago has more attractions, but the attractions that Milwaukee has are still very good and it offers one the option of enjoying the urban setting in a less frantic, more easily accessed way. Milwaukee fun comes with a lot less stress than Chicago's does.

There is a thread going on here about which is the most important midwestern city after Chicago. Obviously I wouldn't answer that here. But if you asked me about cities in the midwest that I like (and I do like midwestern cities), Milwaukee would be very high on the list. It's a great city with a character all its own, even as it does share (obviously) many traits with nearby Chicago as would be expected.

Sorry, LakeShore, I think there is every reason for Chicagoans to visit Milwaukee, just like there is every reason for Angelenos to visit San Diego.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:07 PM

8,292 posts, read 23,129,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Why drive 2 hours to do stuff that you can do in Chicago?
Oh boy Wrigley Field is also in Milwaukee!, that's great news I can't wait to go to Ditkas in Milwaukee then maybe over to Rockit then we will take a Milwaukee EL over to Sound bar then a cab down to White Palace Grill for some drunk eats then in the morning we might check out the SkyDeck in the Sears(not going to ever call it Willis).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago