Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:29 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Why doesn't anybody care

In winter I see hundreds of threads of people whining.

This is horrible.
Because "real" Chicagoans don't whine about the weather. It's a heck of a lot worse in texas where it goes non-stop. At least we get the Canadian air in here once in a while for some breaks. Hang in there in a couple days it will be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
mean average daily dew points show a pretty clear picture of which places feel humid when it gets hot.
While most of the color-coding is self-explanatory, some of it isn't. Any chance you can link to the color key?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:33 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There's an obvious relationship between humidity and dew points that was implied in the discussion when the old "dry heat" angle came up. When the comparison was between Minnesota and Chicago there didn't seem to be much point in bring in dew points since humidity, dew points and summer temperatures between Chicago and Minneapolis, which is the climate the vast majority of Minnesotans experience, are so similar as to make no practical difference. A "normal" July day in one feels much like a "normal" July day in the other.

When Kuala Lumpur was then brought into the discussion for the sake of comparison, I thought about launching into a discussion about the relationship between temperature, relative humidity, dew points, and human comfort. In the end I decided it wasn't worth the while when the other party seemed to have much greater personal investment in being "right" about the subject. Weather/climate seems to be a subject Mr. marothisu is quite passionate about.
It's not about who's right, it's about what the right answer it. Again, you can look at data all you want, but I'm actually a person who spent over 20 summers in Minnesota, and I've spent a handful of summers in Chicago. Linicx will back me up on this one as he already has.

Kuala Lumpur was brought into the mix because the data, as you're looking at, is similar to Chicago and midwest humidity wise, but the reality is that it is not the same thing. If you have never experienced it, you would actually think KL and Malaysia are similar with terms of human comfort but it's not. It's not even close even though the data says it's similar.

It's better to actually talk to someone who's experienced it first hand instead when there's a "human comfort" factor in this instead of just looking at tables. Minnesota is much more uncomfortable than almost any single summer day I have ever experienced in Chicago. Last week there was one day that was very humid and reminded me of muggy Minnesota summers. Otherwise, not even close. Go on thinking you have the right answer, but I experienced it for over two decades *first hand*. Almost every single day..and I do not miss the muggy summers there one f'ing bit.

Go downstate 100 miles away from Chicago as Lincix has said, and the humidity goes up from Chicago quite noticeably.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's not about who's right, it's about what the right answer it. Again, you can look at data all you want, but I'm actually a person who spent over 20 summers in Minnesota, and I've spent a handful of summers in Chicago. Linicx will back me up on this one as he already has.

Kuala Lumpur was brought into the mix because the data, as you're looking at, is similar to Chicago and midwest humidity wise, but the reality is that it is not the same thing. If you have never experienced it, you would actually think KL and Malaysia are similar with terms of human comfort but it's not. It's not even close even though the data says it's similar.

It's better to actually talk to someone who's experienced it first hand instead when there's a "human comfort" factor in this instead of just looking at tables. Minnesota is much more uncomfortable than almost any single summer day I have ever experienced in Chicago. Last week there was one day that was very humid and reminded me of muggy Minnesota summers. Otherwise, not even close.

Go on thinking you have the right answer, but I experienced it for over two decades *first hand*.
OK marothisu. If you say so. Never mind that the data between Chicago and KL is actually very different. You want to win, go ahead. You win.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
OK marothisu. If you say so. Never mind that the data between Chicago and KL is actually very different. You want to win, go ahead. You win.
It's not terribly different in afternoons. KL is about 5-7% higher relative humidity in afternoons than Chicago in the summer. Mornings are over 10% more humid in KL though, but by afternoon they aren't that far apart anymore.

We can agree to disagree, but again, I've experienced these places quite a bit. Guess that's not worth anything more in this world anymore. I'd much prefer a summer in Chicago weather-wise than Minnesota (except the thunderstorms are more fun in Minnesota than the city of Chicago usually).

Old 07-06-2012, 01:46 PM

You're right marothisu. Minnesota is a sweltering Hell in the summer compared to Chicago. I'm not sure why anyone would ever believe otherwise.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:48 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
It's a heck of a lot worse in texas where it goes non-stop. At least we get the Canadian air in here once in a while for some breaks. Hang in there in a couple days it will be better.
I know I've made this point already but I should've provided a link to this lovely graph depicting last summer in Austin to illustrate the point. We were actually on the road between Dallas and Austin on Aug. 29th, and when the car's thermometer said that the outside temp was 112, we figured it was just measuring the asphalt temp on the highway. As it turns out: Nope. That was the actual "regular" temperature that day.

http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/...s_1140733a.jpg

Old 07-06-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
You're right marothisu. Minnesota is a sweltering Hell in the summer compared to Chicago. I'm not sure why anyone would ever believe otherwise.
Not always, only sometimes. We can agree to disagree. It's obvious you won't listen to someone who has two decades of personal experience. So we can agree to disagree in the end.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I know I've made this point already but I should've provided a link to this lovely graph depicting last summer in Austin to illustrate the point. We were actually on the road between Dallas and Austin on Aug. 29th, and when the car's thermometer said that the outside temp was 112, we figured it was just measuring the asphalt temp on the highway. As it turns out: Nope. That was the actual "regular" temperature that day.

http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/...s_1140733a.jpg

Just one reason I wouldn't live in an area like Houston (I know this is Austin). I'm okay with dry heat, but once humidity comes into the picture, I'm gone.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:23 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Sunday through Thursday look very good for you guys, and Sat night looks a bit cooler; hang in there..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago