Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Like I mentioned over in the Wisconsin thread... the reason I live this far north is so that I don't have to deal with weather like this. It's hotter than 50 Hells out there. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the 347% humidity. When it hit 98 back in May and the humidity was somewhere around 23%, that was fine. It felt like it was in the mid-80s. But throw in this god-awful humidity and it's just downright crippling. I don't know how people live in Florida or Texas year-round, A/C be damned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:49 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Like I mentioned over in the Wisconsin thread... the reason I live this far north is so that I don't have to deal with weather like this. It's hotter than 50 Hells out there. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the 347% humidity. When it hit 98 back in May and the humidity was somewhere around 23%, that was fine. It felt like it was in the mid-80s. But throw in this god-awful humidity and it's just downright crippling. I don't know how people live in Florida or Texas year-round, A/C be damned.
Minnesota is a lottttttttttt worse for humidity than Chicago, so feel a little lucky about that part.

Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California, etc are mostly dry heat. That's how people live there. I've been in the valley of LA when it was over 110 degrees and I didn't feel that terribly. It felt like when it's 90-93 degrees in Minnesota. Add humidity into that, and yeah. It's the same as in Saudi Arabia. It's a dry heat, so it's not as bad as you think.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:58 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
Do people in Dubai walk around

Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Minnesota is a lottttttttttt worse for humidity than Chicago, so feel a little lucky about that part.
Uhh.... no. Average relative humidity between Chicago and MPLS is nearly identical.

Quote:
Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, California, etc are mostly dry heat. That's how people live there. I've been in the valley of LA when it was over 110 degrees and I didn't feel that terribly. It felt like when it's 90-93 degrees in Minnesota. Add humidity into that, and yeah. It's the same as in Saudi Arabia. It's a dry heat, so it's not as bad as you think.
Maybe the western edge of Texas is a dry heat. The rest of it is part of the same stifling Gulf Coast drenched-air sweat-inducing summer Hell as the rest of the Dixie South, or at least the low-elevation portions of the Dixie South.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
The global warming fanatics are doing a happy dance (that is, until we get some 60 degree days in August)

Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
The global warming fanatics are doing a happy dance (that is, until we get some 60 degree days in August)
Heh. A couple years ago I went to a Bears pre-season game in mid-August and I was freezing my ass off. It was ludicrous.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Uhh.... no. Average relative humidity between Chicago and MPLS is nearly identical.
That's awesome and all, but I hope you realize I grew up in Minnesota for the first 18 years of my life, and spent 3 summers there during college, and a month after graduation in the summer. Chicago is nothing compared to Minnesota humidity on average. But then again, what do I know? I must have been hibernating during 21 summers and just making things up.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
That's awesome and all, but I hope you realize I grew up in Minnesota for the first 18 years of my life, and spent 3 summers there during college, and a month after graduation in the summer. Chicago is nothing compared to Minnesota humidity on average. But then again, what do I know? I must have been hibernating during 21 summers and just making things up.
Unless you're a weather station, your anecdotes aren't particularly useful. You're entitled to your own perceptions, but the historical data doesn't lie.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Unless you're a weather station, your anecdotes aren't particularly useful. You're entitled to your own perceptions, but the historical data doesn't lie.
I didn't grow up in Minneapolis FWIW, and Minnesota is a lot bigger than the Minneapolis area. You might think it's not particularly useful, but I tend to personally listen to people who actually lived for many, many years in an area. You can choose to not listen to me all you want, but I've lived in both places, and Minnesota is a lot worse in the summers than Chicago humidity wise.

Kuala Lumpur's humidity is also historically not much higher than Chicago's, but it's a LOT worse there. Then again, I guess you wouldn't listen to anybody from Malaysia who thinks Chicago is a walk in the park compared to KL because you have your data, and they can't possibly know what they're talking about. Look it up, it's not much different, mean relative humidity, but if you ACTUALLY go there, you realize it feels much worse.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 AM

OK marothisu. If you say so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago