Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I disagree with the categorizations above. On our block it's the scumbag...
Oh, no doubt there are exceptions to the rule. Especially when speaking of some hillbillies and greeks.

I was speaking more about what I have seen in my specific part of Lake View and to a lessor degree other parts of Lake View. I think the yuppie property owners near you tend to me much older than the ones near me. That makes a big difference.

You may have missed this while you were having fits of rage :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
...Many working class and low class young people do not own property. I am sure there are people of these groups that are just as lazy and cheap...

Most of the problem areas at least around me are houses and condo buildings. The apartment buildings sidewalks usually are for the most part cleared well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 04:26 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
You may have missed this while you were having fits of rage :
Maybe my writing comes off as angrier than it is meant to be. No rage here. At least not on this issue.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:27 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Maybe my writing comes off as angrier than it is meant to be. No rage here. At least not on this issue.
I was kidding.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I think the yuppie property owners near you tend to me much older than the ones near me. That makes a big difference.
This is true. We initially wanted to live in Lake View when we searched for condos, but I'm actually happier up here with the civilized over-thirty crowd. And we still have the young twenty-something women in the lakefront highrises.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I was kidding.

#$#%^%%$##!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with hipsters so much as renters. Most renters seem to think it is the responsibility of the landlords to shovel and salt and most landlords think it is that of the renters. I have had one landlord that had a guy come out a couple of times a week when it snows to take care of it and two that didn't do anything. One of the two though did provide shovels and a couple of bags of salt.

My current landlord does nothing and provides nothing and since I have no outdoor space, access to the basement or a garage for storage I do not shovel my walk. I do keep a bag of salt in my car and salt the area directly in front of my stoop once in a while but I never really thought of shoveling the sidewalk for the whole perimeter of the building when there are 8 other apartments and no one else is doing it.
For what it's worth, legally the responsibility falls on the landlord. The responsibility can be shifted onto the tenant through terms of the lease, but absent that, your two landlords were lazy bums. Half the attraction to renting versus owning is not having to worry about property maintenance.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:31 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
For what it's worth, legally the responsibility falls on the landlord. The responsibility can be shifted onto the tenant through terms of the lease, but absent that, your two landlords were lazy bums. Half the attraction to renting versus owning is not having to worry about property maintenance.
I understand the legal responsibilities, but this is more about recognizing a problem, and DOING something about it, rather than feigning ignorance or waiting for someone else to solve it. If your neighborhood gets hit with 15 inches of snow, and you're an able-bodied person, with a shovel, get out there and pitch in, without being told.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I totally agree, property owners should be doing what their tenants pay them money for instead of pretending that responsibility falls on their tenants and/or ignoring their responsibility altogether.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 PM

I've never rented a place where tenants were responsible for snow removal. I have heard of people having this in their lease, however. Landlords need to live up to their responsibilities regarding snow removal or they should be fined. I wish the city were more stringent in this regard, actually. Other cities I've lived in have had fines for this.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:29 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
We had responsibility for snow removal in the first lease I had in Roscoe Village. Personally, I kind of enjoy shoveling snow, so would usually shovel our walks and those for our adjacent neighbors. It's not like its a major time commitment to shovel a few feet of sidewalks.

So I was a little pissed when I drove by that house a week ago and it was the only one on the street that hadn't been shoveled, especially since I know its a group of guys in their 20's who moved in afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago