Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Chicago entered a period of decadence?
Yes 19 44.19%
No 24 55.81%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 11:16 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times

Advertisements

Decadence is a reference to someone or something or someplace's entrance into a period of decline, relative to itself, from prior time periods.

I think the term is becoming more applicable for Chicago each year. I've been following Chicago trends for a few years now and while the city has improved in some ways (like overall crime, reduction of unemployment rate, creating jobs) it seems each year the city decelerates even more than the prior year. I'm talking specifically about population growth but it is not limited to just that, also things like economic growth, general overseas tourism, murder and homicide rates, and various other quality of life metrics.

The state of Illinois is in political distraught and gridlock and the situation doesn't seem to be getting any better.

What do you feel? Do you think Chicago has entered into a period of decadence in the 2010s decade? Do you think things are getting better? Do you feel they're becoming much worse? When will all of this finally stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 11:18 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
You missed the key factor in the definition of "decadence": characterized by excessive indulgence in pleasure or luxury.

I don't think that describes Chicago.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:12 PM

597 posts, read 666,283 times
Interesting that a synonym for decadence is "corruption" (I'd argue that it's not really the same thing). Anyway, you could argue that Chicago's corruption IS the excessive indulgence in pleasure or luxury necessary or decadence. A history of living above its means, fleecing the taxpayers (to varying degrees at various times), and allowing a landed gentry political class to do nothing essential while raking in high salaries and generous benefits, and also allowing political leaders to award their friends and themselves any number of contracts to gain even more money.

But, the city is hardly just entering into an era of corruption, and it's arguable whether it's contributing to any sort of substantive downfall.

Last edited by goillini8; 04-05-2016 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-05-2016, 12:33 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times
In short, no. Not trying to be a broken record, but Chicagoland is doing fine. We're not "the best" at the moment, but we're FAAAAAAAR from the worst.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:50 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
No, I think it will be just fine. It's certainly better than it has been in the recent past.

There are some issues that need immediate attention today, but those aren't general declines over decades or a long-term issue.

Finances need to be worked out for sure, but it can and will happen, we just need to focus and stop playing around.

More finite and immediate is the violence that's been happening the past few months compared to our previous trends, but I don't see this as a long-term issue, it's a 2016 issue.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:54 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Decadence is a reference to someone or something or someplace's entrance into a period of decline, relative to itself, from prior time periods.

I think the term is becoming more applicable for Chicago each year. I've been following Chicago trends for a few years now and while the city has improved in some ways (like overall crime, reduction of unemployment rate, creating jobs) it seems each year the city decelerates even more than the prior year. I'm talking specifically about population growth but it is not limited to just that, also things like economic growth, general overseas tourism, murder and homicide rates, and various other quality of life metrics.

The state of Illinois is in political distraught and gridlock and the situation doesn't seem to be getting any better.

What do you feel? Do you think Chicago has entered into a period of decadence in the 2010s decade? Do you think things are getting better? Do you feel they're becoming much worse? When will all of this finally stop?
International tourism is about the best its ever been and growing. Population growth shrunk a ton in the 20th century and then reversed, and there was a 6.9% decline this past decade, but if you dig into the demographics of it there are very specific areas where the decline happened. It's not "general".

Economic growth has always been charging ahead in the city. As far as jobs the city has more now than it has since before 9/11/01.

Downtown employment is at an all time high. Transit ridership is at a high. Development is going on full force in many key areas of the city.

Murder and homicide rate spikes seem so far to be a 2016 event. It's still down from the 70's through early 2000's.

I'm not really following your logic here. Or maybe you're just looking at very current and immediate situations. I don't see how this falls into a long-term decline? I would have said that 20-40 years ago about the city. Certainly not today.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:11 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The survey question is bizarre -- I voted "NO"

Even if one goes through a long list a synoynms for "decadence" there is little that makes sense --
Quote:
dec·a·dence
ˈdekədəns
noun
moral or cultural decline as characterized by excessive indulgence in pleasure or luxury.
"he denounced Western decadence"
synonyms: dissipation, degeneracy, debauchery, corruption, depravity, vice, sin, moral decay, immorality; immoderateness, intemperance, licentiousness, self-indulgence, hedonism
That said there is likely a very harsh reckoning for anyone that continues to keep their head in the sand and assume that "they'll figure out a way to keep things spinning along".

The continued inability for either the generally accommodating head of the Democrat controlled Legislature to do other than try to stall and the resolute minority to try to keep vital functions from collapsing is striking -- Morning Spin: Lawmakers back in Springfield, no end to budget impasse in sight - Chicago Tribune

There are breathtaking and growing pile of unpaid bills that threaten to literally "turn out the lights" for many dependent on a functioning state government -- Illinois Comptroller Says Backlog of Bills is Higher than $7.6 B | WSIU

Even Forest Claypool, one of the most "solution oriented" leaders ever to spend time in both the service of Cook County and various City agencies is taking unprecedented steps to get the Illinois Labor Relations Board to have the CTU pay for the disruption caused by its actions -- CTU Clash with School Board Escalates as Clayppol Seeks Damages

These are utterly "uncharted water" type events and it becuase of this that wealthy folks with no stomach to see their primary assets of real estate fall in value as taxes increase and values inevitably plummet Millionaires Are Leaving Chicago Faster Than Anywhere in America

Old 04-05-2016, 02:31 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
In short, no. Not trying to be a broken record, but Chicagoland is doing fine. We're not "the best" at the moment, but we're FAAAAAAAR from the worst.
Not true. Chicagoland is absolute worst in terms of population trends. And Cook County has the worst population loss in the U.S.

There are 3,143 counties in the U.S. You can't be "doing fine" if you're in last place out of 3,143 counties.

And Chicagoland is still a long way from recovering all jobs from the last recession. There are relatively few metros that have fewer jobs now than 20 years ago, and Chicago is one of them.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:33 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The survey question is bizarre -- I voted "NO"

Even if one goes through a long list a synoynms for "decadence" there is little that makes sense --

That said there is likely a very harsh reckoning for anyone that continues to keep their head in the sand and assume that "they'll figure out a way to keep things spinning along".

The continued inability for either the generally accommodating head of the Democrat controlled Legislature to do other than try to stall and the resolute minority to try to keep vital functions from collapsing is striking -- Morning Spin: Lawmakers back in Springfield, no end to budget impasse in sight - Chicago Tribune

There are breathtaking and growing pile of unpaid bills that threaten to literally "turn out the lights" for many dependent on a functioning state government -- Illinois Comptroller Says Backlog of Bills is Higher than $7.6 B | WSIU

Even Forest Claypool, one of the most "solution oriented" leaders ever to spend time in both the service of Cook County and various City agencies is taking unprecedented steps to get the Illinois Labor Relations Board to have the CTU pay for the disruption caused by its actions -- CTU Clash with School Board Escalates as Clayppol Seeks Damages

These are utterly "uncharted water" type events and it becuase of this that wealthy folks with no stomach to see their primary assets of real estate fall in value as taxes increase and values inevitably plummet Millionaires Are Leaving Chicago Faster Than Anywhere in America
I know, when I think of decadence, I think of the Jabba the Hut scene in Return of the Jedi, LOL!! Anyway, assuming he meant "decline," I'm perhaps not as cynical as you are but I can't say I'm really confident either. I'm hearing too much "tax the rich" gibberish from the Dumbocrats and the unions, and virtually no willingness to recognize the problem and compromise. I became briefly hopeful when Rauner won the governor race but my confidence was recently dashed by Madigan overwhelmingly smashing down someone who appeared to be a decent opponent.

So I'd answer the question "yes" if the intended word was "decline". Whether we can recover will remain to be seen.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:40 PM

575 posts, read 615,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Decadence doesn't mean what you think it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago