Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:32 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times

Advertisements

I really struggle thinking of a better spot in the nation than the old post office that fits Amazon's criteria.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:57 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I really struggle thinking of a better spot in the nation than the old post office that fits Amazon's criteria.
Location is perfect and think about the free advertising they would get with big Amazon signage right over the expressway. However, Amazon is all about high tech so do they really want a 100 year old building?

Old 09-10-2017, 10:59 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Location is perfect and think about the free advertising they would get with big Amazon signage right over the expressway. However, Amazon is all about high tech so do they really want a 100 year old building?
I don't see why not, just look at the Merch Mart

Old 09-10-2017, 12:38 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Metro DFW is a much better fit. Huge central airport, lower cost of housing and doing business, lower taxes, more stable economy, plenty of cheaper land and much less cold weather. Amazon already has 3 large distribution centers and 3 floors at the Galleria.

Chicago's crime (and politics) may be isolated but nationwide it's bad publicity (true or not) on all the murders that occur weekly. Illinois debt has to be a concern for any company. These things do catch up with a state or city which would be why they'd also never move to St Louis. Many of the reasons companies like State Farm and Caterpillar are moving out of IL to this area.

I'll leave now.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:04 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
This commentary in the Seattle Times discusses Boeing more of its headquarters choice in 2001. Where Chicago WON. Though then Boeing moved its Corporate offices. This is a duplication of Amazon's. Not as much a los to Seattle. At no time in the article is Chicago lessened or not worthy of consideration this time around.

Amazon plan echoes Boeing

I'm rooting Chicago gets it. Or at least a Northern US city. Many city forums have threads on this topic and their city seeking Amazon.

The sunbelt already gets soooooo much of Corporate America's expansions to moves. That I'm not rooting for any city there.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:22 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,140,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Metro DFW is a much better fit. Huge central airport, lower cost of housing and doing business, lower taxes, more stable economy, plenty of cheaper land and much less cold weather. Amazon already has 3 large distribution centers and 3 floors at the Galleria.

Chicago's crime (and politics) may be isolated but nationwide it's bad publicity (true or not) on all the murders that occur weekly. Illinois debt has to be a concern for any company. These things do catch up with a state or city which would be why they'd also never move to St Louis. Many of the reasons companies like State Farm and Caterpillar are moving out of IL to this area.

I'll leave now.
Central airport? 2O miles away from their downtown is not what I consider centrally located.

Dallas mass transit is not very good, which is a requirement Amazon is looking for.

The culture at DFW is also a lot different than Seatle.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:29 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/here...dquarters.html

This is a big deal. This could be a game changer.

"In its proposal, Amazon said it's looking for a city of more than 1 million people with an international airport, mass transit, quality higher education, an educated workforce and a solid business climate."

That describes Chicago to the tee except for that last little thing - solid business climate.

Now of course that could be alleviated somewhat with the city and state throwing some corporate welfare at Amazon.

SF is too oversaturated with tech and extremely expensive, New York is oversaturated with everything and also extremely expensive. Boston I think is a big competitor as are Philly and Atlanta, but I think Chicago outmatches all of them.

If Chicago could land Amazon just think of what it could do for the city and state. I really hope Chicago pushes with all its might to land Amazon. I've seen how electric its influence is in my city of Seattle. It could spur growth in ways Chicago couldn't dream of at the moment.

Interested in people's thoughts.
Bezos can **** right off with his bull****.

What he's doing is asking for states to compete for tax incentives. Seriously, **** that. The wealthiest company in the world next to Google and Apple-- you'll notice none of these companies pay dividends or taxes-- needs states to compete for preferential tax treatment?

Seriously?

I'll buy the prostitute if Bezos needs to be told how to **** himself, or if he needs the help. What I won't do is suffer this nonsense while getting ****ed over myself.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:52 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Logan Airport doesn't hold a candle to O'Hare. Chicago is also one of the top logistic/shipping hubs in the country, which will most surely be a factor to a company like Amazon...

Six of the Ten Top Logistics/Distribution/Shipping Hubs are located in the South, according to Business Facilities

So I disagree that it's Boston's bid to lose. I definitely agree that they are going to get some sweet incentives though. That's become a reality if you want to bring jobs, unfortunately.
Boston's to lose? i think the far east coast location, the high cost of housing, the size and lack of space are all reasons Boston won't get it.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:22 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Bezos can **** right off with his bull****.

What he's doing is asking for states to compete for tax incentives. Seriously, **** that. The wealthiest company in the world next to Google and Apple-- you'll notice none of these companies pay dividends or taxes-- needs states to compete for preferential tax treatment?

Seriously?

I'll buy the prostitute if Bezos needs to be told how to **** himself, or if he needs the help. What I won't do is suffer this nonsense while getting ****ed over myself.
I don't know about Google, as I'm not a shareholder, but Apple pays a ton of dividends and taxes.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:34 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I don't know about Google, as I'm not a shareholder, but Apple pays a ton of dividends and taxes.
Look behind you. You missed the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago