Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2017, 04:43 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,713,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manterro View Post
Amazon is making a lot of money and honestly doesn't need Illinois tax credits to execute its business plan.
Last year's sales were $136 billion, a 27 percent increase from the previous year, while annual net income was $2.37 billion — way up from the prior year's $596 million.
Exactly!! And IL gets a piece of that tax pie.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:12 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manterro View Post
"On Wednesday, Amazon announced a national search for a second corporate headquarters location, and Mayor Rahm Emanuel is reported to be planning to aggressively pursue a deal."

“Taxpayers should watch their wallets as the trophy deal of the decade attracts politicians to a hyper-sophisticated tax-break auction. We fear that many states and localities will offer to grossly overspend to attract Amazon, even though the business basics – especially a metro area’s executive talent pool – will surely control the company’s decision.”

In tax giveaways to corporations like Amazon, Illinois loses | Chicago Reporter
Between 2010 and 2016, Amazon's investments in Seattle added approximately $38 billion to the metro's economy. 38 billion. In six years. If you can't see the big picture, that's on you. I don't live in Chicago so I suppose it doesn't affect me.

Last edited by Bluefox; 09-16-2017 at 12:41 AM..

Old 09-16-2017, 12:19 AM

426 posts, read 334,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Between 2010 and 2016, Amazon's investments in Seattle added approximately $38 billion to the metro's economy. 38 billion. In six years.
Can't argue with those numbers. That's big money.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:46 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,524,460 times
Quote:
Between 2010 and 2016, Amazon's investments in Seattle added approximately $38 billion to the metro's economy. 38 billion. In six years. If you can't see the big picture, that's on you. I don't live in Chicago so I suppose it doesn't affect me.
Exactly. It amazes me how people can't see the big picture.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:01 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Exactly. It amazes me how people can't see the big picture.
But come on, 50,000 jobs over 10 years is going turn Chicago into San Francisco!!!!!!

Only the rich will be able to afford to live here... Or something like that

Old 09-16-2017, 10:08 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
But come on, 50,000 jobs over 10 years is going turn Chicago into San Francisco!!!!!!

Only the rich will be able to afford to live here... Or something like that
It'll just continue to morph into two cities, with one part reassembling San Francisco and the other Detroit. The price difference in real estate from Englewood to Lincoln Park, Andersonville or what have you is already absolutely incredible, and will continue to grow. The 50k Amazon jobs will almost exclusively benefit wealthy Chi-Town.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:35 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
It'll just continue to morph into two cities, with one part reassembling San Francisco and the other Detroit. The price difference in real estate from Englewood to Lincoln Park, Andersonville or what have you is already absolutely incredible, and will continue to grow. The 50k Amazon jobs will almost exclusively benefit wealthy Chi-Town.
That's probably true to some extent but I think it will definitely catalyze gentrification, probably on an unprecedented level for Chicago. It happened in Seattle, even crappy suburbs here are getting gentrified to the nth degree.

Will Englewood still be Englewood? Yes. But the near south and especially west sides would be prime territory.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:40 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Quote:
That's probably true to some extent but I think it will definitely catalyze gentrification, probably on an unprecedented level for Chicago. It happened in Seattle, even crappy suburbs here are getting gentrified to the nth degree.

Will Englewood still be Englewood? Yes. But the near south and especially west sides would be prime territory.
Right, it will force people to look at other options. And there are plenty in Chicago.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:01 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Tax revenue from 50k new Amazon jobs would pay for a lot more cops, mental health clinics, schools, transit, etc. I suppose you can make the argument that none of those resources would be deployed in the poorer parts of town. Aside from direct benefit to municipal coffers, more wealthy employees in a downtown location means more support jobs (maintenance, food services, secretarial, etc) which will partially be filled by people living in non-wealthy parts of Chicago.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:14 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Tax revenue from 50k new Amazon jobs would pay for a lot more cops, mental health clinics, schools, transit, etc. I suppose you can make the argument that none of those resources would be deployed in the poorer parts of town. Aside from direct benefit to municipal coffers, more wealthy employees in a downtown location means more support jobs (maintenance, food services, secretarial, etc) which will partially be filled by people living in non-wealthy parts of Chicago.
That's probably true though I think it will be better if instead of relying on social services programs, which are clearly not working, we start angling our state and municipal policy to try to draw jobs into this area which pay a decent wage and offer dignity to people without a master's degree. But I suppose that's kind of a moot point since every time I mention it, everybody tells me that this isn't coming back.

So I guess an offshoot of this would be that we would have slightly better funded social programs. For what that's worth. And I do agree some support jobs will be created. But I think the bulk will be a highly compensated young professionals who will migrate to the the north and near west and south sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago