Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2017, 01:43 PM

504 posts, read 496,253 times

Advertisements

For every highly compensated young white professional, we need one working-class person to spread avocado onto toast.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:44 PM

426 posts, read 334,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
It'll just continue to morph into two cities, with one part reassembling San Francisco and the other Detroit. The price difference in real estate from Englewood to Lincoln Park, Andersonville or what have you is already absolutely incredible, and will continue to grow. The 50k Amazon jobs will almost exclusively benefit wealthy Chi-Town.
Very true. Chicago is a classic tale of two cities with the addition of a failing state. Rahm is directing most of the money and growth towards the loop and near north side which will also create new jobs. The young millennials will be making good money at these new jobs. The problem is when you venture outside the loop and near north side and things get progressively worse. I'm sure Mayor Rahm would love to build a wall around Chicago. Inside of the wall would be the upper middle class and the wealthy. Outside of the wall would be the lower middle class and the poor. Rahn has no need for the "outsiders" because they can't help him become more wealthy and powerful.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:11 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
For every highly compensated young white professional, we need one working-class person to spread avocado onto toast.
Yup, and to keep the granite clean. Tip your servers folks, they need it.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:28 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Yup, and to keep the granite clean. Tip your servers folks, they need it.
Can't disagree.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:41 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
Erk. Welcome to San Diego if you're not careful. Learn and don't let it get to that. San Diego is getting to be the 'haves' and 'have nots'. That's corrosive to a good society.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I really struggle thinking of a better spot in the nation than the old post office that fits Amazon's criteria.

maybe this

Schuylkill Yards - Where Ideas Converge

Old 09-17-2017, 12:29 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
This might be a complete stretch, but I'll throw it out anyone (even though i think I'm wrong about this being a possibility):

does Atlanta's southeastern location, subject to the hurricanes that affect Florida and, to a degree, the Georgia coast, have any potential influence on Amazon's decision for that city being the possible home of the second HQ?

I realize that Atlanta is far enough inland and will not get the brunt of any hurricane. Yet it can be affected by them, even to a degree of disruption of travel.

so....is this a "thing" or is it not?

Old 09-17-2017, 03:13 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
This might be a complete stretch, but I'll throw it out anyone (even though i think I'm wrong about this being a possibility):

does Atlanta's southeastern location, subject to the hurricanes that affect Florida and, to a degree, the Georgia coast, have any potential influence on Amazon's decision for that city being the possible home of the second HQ?

I realize that Atlanta is far enough inland and will not get the brunt of any hurricane. Yet it can be affected by them, even to a degree of disruption of travel.

so....is this a "thing" or is it not?

Not really because its too far inland. Blizzards in Chicago can also affect travel out of Chicago. Plus the high and increasing high tax rate (soda tax, increasing property tax, increased corporate tax, etc) might also be a negative

Old 09-18-2017, 07:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Erk. Welcome to San Diego if you're not careful. Learn and don't let it get to that. San Diego is getting to be the 'haves' and 'have nots'. That's corrosive to a good society.
True, and it's infecting both coasts. Those who are fretting about the "demise" of Chicago may not have to worry quite so much, as the interior US may start to become more popular due to coastal housing costs ( and hurricanes)...

Old 09-18-2017, 10:21 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
True, and it's infecting both coasts. Those who are fretting about the "demise" of Chicago may not have to worry quite so much, as the interior US may start to become more popular due to coastal housing costs ( and hurricanes)...
And water. We have a massive supply of fresh water, which is one reason why we got Lagunitas from CA. Not to be discounted for 22nd Century urban planning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago