Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most popular professional sports team in Chicago?
Cubs 47 57.32%
White Sox 4 4.88%
Bears 23 28.05%
Bulls 6 7.32%
Blackhawks 2 2.44%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:11 AM

9,980 posts, read 5,677,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Blah blah blah...

1996- 2.2 million (76 wins, 12GB)
1997 - 2.2 million (68 wins, 12GB)
1998 2.6 million (90 wins, WC, Sosa 66 HR)
1999 - 2.8 million (67 wins, 30GB, Sosa 63 HR)
2000 - 2.8 million (65 wins, 30GB, Sosa 50 HR)
2001 - 2.7 million (88 wins, 5GB, Sosa 64 HR)
2002 - 2.7 million (67 wins, 30GB, Sosa 49 HR)

Blah blah blah...
In other words... they've been remarkably consistent over the last 20 years. How much further back do you want to go? Another 10 years maybe, where the Cubs have beat the league average in 29 of those 30 years and out-sold the White Sox in 28 of those 30 years -- INCLUDING 2005 and 2006, the years the White Sox won the World Series and set their single-season attendance record respectively?

So yeah, I don't need lectures from Sox fans about how they're the "true" fans of their perpetual revenue-bottom-feeder of a team. Prove it by showing up at games or watching games on TV or buying the merchandise or any other standard indicia of team support, or sit down and shut up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 10:32 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
In other words... they've been remarkably consistent over the last 20 years. How much further back do you want to go? Another 10 years maybe, where the Cubs have beat the league average in 29 of those 30 years and out-sold the White Sox in 28 of those 30 years -- INCLUDING 2005 and 2006, the years the White Sox won the World Series and set their single-season attendance record respectively?

So yeah, I don't need lectures from Sox fans about how they're the "true" fans of their perpetual revenue-bottom-feeder of a team. Prove it by showing up at games or watching games on TV or buying the merchandise or any other standard indicia of team support, or sit down and shut up.
You seem obsessed with the White Sox and their fans and comparing them to the Cubs/Cubs fans.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
You seem obsessed with the White Sox and their fans and comparing them to the Cubs/Cubs fans.
Oh sure, I'm just blurting these things out into a vacuum, as if I'm the one who started this conversation about the other team's fans.

If that's your take, you didn't follow the conversation very closely. So let me reiterate for you what I said yesterday: "I have nothing against the Sox or Sox fans, even the ones who don't feel like showing up at games after years of a so-so product on the field. But I'm not about to humor Sox fans talking smack about how they're the "true" Chicago baseball fans while their stadium is 60% empty during any given game and their team's franchise revenue is near the league bottom."

Old 06-12-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Oh sure, I'm just blurting these things out into a vacuum, as if I'm the one who started this conversation about the other team's fans.

If that's your take, you didn't follow the conversation very closely. So let me reiterate for you what I said yesterday: "I have nothing against the Sox or Sox fans, even the ones who don't feel like showing up at games after years of a so-so product on the field. But I'm not about to humor Sox fans talking smack about how they're the "true" Chicago baseball fans while their stadium is 60% empty during any given game and their team's franchise revenue is near the league bottom."
You keep comparing the Cubs to the Sox. I never said the Sox were "the true fans". You keep saying things like, Guarantee Failure Field , etc and tell Sox fans to "sit down and shut up" I cited one example of something that is not unique to Cubs fans. That's about the closest I came to that. Other than that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I am not responsible for filling the Sox stadium. I have helped do that, unpaid, in the past because I am that much of a Sox fan and enjoy going to games with decent sized groups and hanging out with other Sox fans. I'll leave it at that to keep my identity private.

Anyway, this has gotten way off topic and doesn't remotely address the question of the thread.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
You keep comparing the Cubs to the Sox. I never said the Sox were "the true fans". You keep saying things like, Guarantee Failure Field , etc and tell Sox fans to "sit down and shut up" I cited one example of something that is not unique to Cubs fans. That's about the closest I came to that. Other than that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I am not responsible for filling the Sox stadium. I have helped do that, unpaid, in the past because I am that much of a Sox fan and enjoy going to games with decent sized groups and hanging out with other Sox fans. I'll leave it at that to keep my identity private.

Anyway, this has gotten way off topic and doesn't remotely address the question of the thread.
Again, you're not reading very clearly. I'm quite aware you never claimed the Sox fans were the "true fans." That's why I responded to you thusly: "I'm not about to humor Sox fans talking smack about how they're the 'true' fans" -- notice the third-person formulation that doesn't include you specifically.

And I invited a that same specific group of Sox fans to sit down and shut up, namely the smack-talking ones who claim their team has the "true" Chicago baseball fans.

If the above doesn't apply to you, then don't worry about it.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Again, you're not reading very clearly. I'm quite aware you never claimed the Sox fans were the "true fans." That's why I responded to you thusly: "I'm not about to humor Sox fans talking smack about how they're the 'true' fans" -- notice the third-person formulation that doesn't include you specifically.

And I invited a that same specific group of Sox fans to sit down and shut up, namely the smack-talking ones who claim their team has the "true" Chicago baseball fans.

If the above doesn't apply to you, then don't worry about it.
Ok, fair enough. If I read it again, I can interpret it either way. I assumed you were attempting to include me in that group given you replied to me, but I will take you at your word regarding your intent.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:53 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Chicago Cardinals? The Big Red. Not only the most popular, but the easiest to see play. Free admission. Just head over to 35th and Shields, the big parking lot across the street from Name-Guaranteed-For-Two-Years-Only Field. (bring folding lawn chair)
Honestly, I can't wait for the next recession so that company can go under, and the Sox get a new name for their ballpark. What a disgrace of a name that place has. Easily the worst in baseball. Though the Brewers are also getting a bad name on their ballpark in 2020 I believe (It will ALWAYS be Miller Park to me though).

Old 06-14-2019, 12:40 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
When Guaranteed Rate Field came out, I thought it was horrific. Now, meh, it doesn't seem that bad. At least the company is located right here in town, employing local people. The logo, however, needs to go.

The park itself is very nice now, BTW. Anyone who says it's a bad ballpark hasn't been to a game in a long time. The improvements are outstanding. It's a beautiful park. I was there on May 30th, a 10-4 win over Cleveland, and it was gorgeous, and a wonderful time.

This all boils down to the fact that the Sox play on the poorer side of town, adjacent to an expressway. Nobody is walking to the game and hanging around drinking beers afterward. It's a part of town the Chads and Trixies are too good to enter. So really, most people going to the games are ACTUAL fans.

That said, the fanbase is small for a big city, and the Cubs base is large. There's no debating that, it just is what it is. And that's just going to keep being exacerbated about how Chicago has formed its neighborhoods. Wrigley is a tourist destination in an upscale area. Sox Park is in a working class part of town. The Sox could win 3 championships in a row and not catch up. And you know what, that's perfectly okay. I like being part of a smaller, tighter club of fans. I feel a kinship with my Sox fan friends - it's too easy to be a Cubs fan - there's nothing special about it.

That all said, Cub fans and Sox fans unite when it comes to the Bears, who are #1 in the city of Chicago and the suburbs.

Outside of Chicago, the Cubs may be #1 due to WGN and its worldwide reach.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 773,961 times
I think its sad Chicago is so high on the team with the worst history in sports like the cubs. Its embarrassing really. I remember when I used to travel a lot and people would ask where I was from and I would say Chicago and right away they would bring up sports and I would mention the Bulls with 6 titles and the 1985 Bears and stuff and right away they would lough and say yes but you have the cubs!

I mean I would mention all the other teams and what they have won but all they wanted to do was bring up the cubs and laugh oh how I hated that!

This is one area where I wish Chicago was more like New York. We should have more pride and demand winning instead of embracing that lovable loser attitude that makes my blood boil! This is a great city and should not accept losing so easily.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:29 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
As far as market share, it has to be the Bears. The NFL is far more popular than the MLB, regardless of market.

In taking into consideration other areas, I would agree that the Cubs are more popular as a % to the Bears. But, nobody is touching the NFL in 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago