Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does IL need a 2nd flagship? If so, who should get designated?
No. The Univ of Illinois should remain only flagship 12 42.86%
Yes, UIC would be best 8 28.57%
Yes, ISU would be best 6 21.43%
Yes. NIU would be best 1 3.57%
Yes. SIU would be best 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 02:53 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,825,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Sorry if I’m making it sound like a Chicago v. downstate thing. It isn’t. It is a U of I v. SIU thing. SIU was built by Chicagoans.

Also, it would not be surprising if UIC surpasses UIUC in the next 50 years. Another round of Global reurbanization is afoot. UIC better positioned to prosper in the 21st century
It seems to me that SIU’s biggest problem comes when you call it SIUC and pit it against the school it fears the most, not Illinois but SIUE. Forget about metro Chicago. The metro in focus here is St. Louis and SIUE gets a real edge on this one on both banks of the Mississippi. Scenic Carbondale is in the middle of nowhere in comparison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 03:01 PM

1,080 posts, read 836,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
OK, so now we've shifted the culprits from "Chicago" to "Chicagoland,"
C'mon, you know as well as I do that when people from downstate (or anywhere else outside of the Chicago area) say "Chicago" they mean the metro area. Chicagoland isn't a term that is used much outside of the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
And why on Earth would Chicago-area legislators care about a supposed competition between two downstate schools for top students? Do you have any evidence for this claim?
As part of serving the constituents who elected them, in hopes of being re-elected, doesn't it go without saying that legislators are more likely to fund the universities that their constituents are likely to attend? (That's not to mention the obvious influence of campaign finance and lobbying.)

Also, calling them "two downstate schools" is rather misleading when one is in the central part of the state and the other is in the far Southern tip. From Chicago it's the difference between a 2 1/2 hour drive and a 5 1/2 hour drive.

I'm not saying what Fallstaff is describing happened or didn't happen (I don't know the history), but I'm answering your "why" question. The incentive for it to happen makes perfect sense to me.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:04 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
When I think of the primary "flagship universities" of Illinois, I think if (in no partciular ranking or order) the following: University of Chicago, Northwestern University, University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana. Otherwise, one might also add: Univeristy of Illinois at Chicago, Ilinois Institute of Technology.

How is it that you think that the "University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana" is the only singular noteworthy university in the state of Illinois? "Northwestern University" and the "University of Chicago" are just as preeminent (if not even more so in some comparisons). Unless I don't understand what you mean when you use the term "flagship university".
It's the only one with national public notoriety and recognition. NU and UC are arguably higher profile, at least academically, but are private.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:40 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,672,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Ok try to follow.

1.) There is no difference between Chicago and Chicagoland to anyone who lives outside of it. No one gives a damn. Chicago and Chicagoland are interchangeable to literally everyone in the world who isn’t in Chicago or Chicagoland.

2.) Chicago = Illinois. The legislature is overwhelmingly made up of Chicago(land) politicians. The students that fill up Illinois universities are overwhelmingly Chicago(land) students.

3.) Those Chicago(land) politicians chose to support U of I over SIU so that it would cease to compete with U of I for Chicago(land) students.

4.) Chicago(land) students started looking elsewhere as that same legislature pushed the cost of higher ed to a point where it was uneconomical for Illinois residents to get their degree at Illinois universities.

5.) What is the common understanding of the term “flagship?” Because to me it seems like you’re hung up on the name while ignoring the historic enrollment and research that clearly make/made SIU the other Flagship university. If a top 100 university and top 50 public university doesn’t qualify for “Flagship” status in your eyes then your vision is warped.

SIU was a better University than the majority of the schools that currently make up the SEC and BIG 12 as recently as the 80s. It was absolutely a flagship university.

If it didn’t have a directional name and had D-1 sports would that be enough for you?
1) Your imprecise language is your problem, not mine. If you don't want to be misunderstood, be more specific.

2) And therefore... ?

3) You keep saying this but you provide no evidence for it.

4) That's an entirely different premise than the first one you proffered and a different topic entirely.

5) What constitutes a flagship university has already been discussed ad nauseum in this thread, consider reading it for your edification. A university that started out life as a teaching college, has enrollment and funding much more on par with the other directional schools than the actual flagship, and doesn't compete with the other flagship in academic reputation doesn't qualify, even if it's a better school than the other directional schools or schools in certain athletic conferences.

6) No.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:50 PM

638 posts, read 240,441 times
I graduated high school in 1986 in the Kankakee area, and apparently I missed SIU being the Harvard of the Midwest... back then it seemed like ISU and SIU were pretty even, today its not even close.. who the hell wants to spend 4 years in Carbondale??????

Old 07-11-2019, 05:23 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
If you are already from Chicago, I understand the need for a change, but if not...spending 4 years in Carbondale is emphatically not a good alternative to spending 4 years in Chicago. If I live in Chicagoland, and want a change of scenery , and remain in the Midwest, I'd try Madison, Ann Arbor or the U of Minn in MSP..

Old 07-12-2019, 07:37 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
If you are already from Chicago, I understand the need for a change, but if not...spending 4 years in Carbondale is emphatically not a good alternative to spending 4 years in Chicago. If I live in Chicagoland, and want a change of scenery , and remain in the Midwest, I'd try Madison, Ann Arbor or the U of Minn in MSP..
Exactly!

Old 07-13-2019, 05:31 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,825,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Exactly!
I agree (but feel he could have thrown in Bloomington and Iowa City as well

Old 07-13-2019, 07:22 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Not all students can get into Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin etc. nor can they afford to go out-of-state and pay those higher tuition prices. In-state universities like ISU, SIUC, SIUE, offer legitimately decent educations with in-state tuition costs, and they are also world’s away (philosophically and by distance) from Chicago. I mean, your average Chicagoland high school student with modestly good grades living in a truly middle class household isn’t going to Michigan unless there are additional extenuating circumstances...

Old 07-13-2019, 09:09 AM

1,080 posts, read 836,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Funny, I was thinking of those two, also, as far as nice Big 10 college towns go.

Actually, forget about how Carbondale stacks up against that list-- Champaign/Urbana doesn't really compare to them, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago