Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does IL need a 2nd flagship? If so, who should get designated?
No. The Univ of Illinois should remain only flagship 12 42.86%
Yes, UIC would be best 8 28.57%
Yes, ISU would be best 6 21.43%
Yes. NIU would be best 1 3.57%
Yes. SIU would be best 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 02:54 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
This thread didn't draw me here; it was the comment that did. Good for you for having your fantasies.
Gee, I am sorry, Hiruko, I completely misunderstood. You see, I remember your comments that with my outstanding ideas and way with words, I should write a blog instead of starting up new threads here. You seemed to have given me the idea you thought my blogs would be brilliant and you would be an avid reader.

Anyway, I apologize for any confusion here and take full responsibility for the error of misreading your intent.

and you and I are definitely on the same page with the notion that having fantasy in your life during these grim times is a very good thing. We are simpatico.:So, as always, thanks so much for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
All the national and global rankings I've seen put U of C ahead of Northwestern. Northwestern is sometimes in the Top 10, but U of C is often in the top 3-5.

U of C doesn't always get noticed by the average person because they focus a little less on undergraduate programs and a little more on graduate, professional, and research programs, and also because they don't do big time sports (which shouldn't matter, but somehow does in the weird environment we've created), but in terms of reputation for academics it's one of the top institutions in the world.
You’re right, of course, it shouldn’t matter. But in reality, it always did. Ivy League universities were blue bloods long before intersholastic sports were starting up near the turn of the century. And during that era, football, sucessful football, created high profile, high exposure. If you look at that era, you see schools where a good football programs helped a university grow and prosper. Schools like Michigan, Notre Dame, Chicago and Stanford capitalized on highly successful football programs to raise their prominence

Norhwestern benefitted greatly from its amazing 1995 record and Rose Bowl appearance.

U of C football had gone sauer years before Hutchins pulled the plug. I have no idea how Chicago would have faired with a face if it didn’t drop out of the Big Ten. But it would be hard to deny that Power 5 conference universities like Stanford, Duke and Northwestern would be considerd Chicago’s peers

Old 07-01-2019, 11:17 AM

638 posts, read 240,684 times
55% of Illinois kids that go to a 4 year college are going outside of the states borders, so we are losing a ton of kids. A big reason is that we do not have a school that fills the gap for the kids that do not get accepted into UICU, so they go to schools such as Iowa, Indiana, Kansas etc.. So if we were smart, we would start funneling more money to Illinois State and get them ranked more evenly with the bottom rung of the Big Ten, that would be a sound investment by the state. Currently ISU receives fewer state dollars per student than any school in the state, which boggles my mind because the school is so well ran. Downtown Normal has been transformed into something very nice and gives that campus feel that the other state schools do not have (except UICU)..

Old 07-01-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
55% of Illinois kids that go to a 4 year college are going outside of the states borders, so we are losing a ton of kids. A big reason is that we do not have a school that fills the gap for the kids that do not get accepted into UICU, so they go to schools such as Iowa, Indiana, Kansas etc.. So if we were smart, we would start funneling more money to Illinois State and get them ranked more evenly with the bottom rung of the Big Ten, that would be a sound investment by the state. Currently ISU receives fewer state dollars per student than any school in the state, which boggles my mind because the school is so well ran. Downtown Normal has been transformed into something very nice and gives that campus feel that the other state schools do not have (except UICU)..
I agree with this. The way it is built around its mall, Illinois State is a like a smaller version of Illinois

Old 07-03-2019, 06:22 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
You’re right, of course, it shouldn’t matter. But in reality, it always did. Ivy League universities were blue bloods long before intersholastic sports were starting up near the turn of the century. And during that era, football, sucessful football, created high profile, high exposure. If you look at that era, you see schools where a good football programs helped a university grow and prosper. Schools like Michigan, Notre Dame, Chicago and Stanford capitalized on highly successful football programs to raise their prominence

Norhwestern benefitted greatly from its amazing 1995 record and Rose Bowl appearance.

U of C football had gone sauer years before Hutchins pulled the plug. I have no idea how Chicago would have faired with a face if it didn’t drop out of the Big Ten. But it would be hard to deny that Power 5 conference universities like Stanford, Duke and Northwestern would be considerd Chicago’s peers
All true, but my main point was that the people who rank academics still put U of C above those other institutions, even if their lack of major sports makes them less known by Joe Six Pack, who isn't really their target demographic, anyway.

In what way did Northwestern benefit from its Rose Bowl appearance? I'm sure they made some TV money and sold some t-shirts and season tickets, but that's pocket change in comparison to their endowment, especially after you back out the cost of attempting to have competitive football program year in and year out to have one big bowl game every quarter century.

For schools who are trying to increase their application numbers from around the country, being on TV always helps, which is why you see so many of the mid-to-lower-ranking (academically) state schools striving to build good athletics programs. (I bet Boise State gets a lot more out-of-state applicants than it did 20 years ago, for example.) For schools like U of C and Northwestern, however, their academic reputations assure that they get the type of applicants they want. The top students (and their parents, counselors, and teachers) who are looking at the top schools across the country are going to know about them regardless of whether they saw their football team on TV.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:06 PM

37,149 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
All true, but my main point was that the people who rank academics still put U of C above those other institutions, even if their lack of major sports makes them less known by Joe Six Pack, who isn't really their target demographic, anyway.

In what way did Northwestern benefit from its Rose Bowl appearance? I'm sure they made some TV money and sold some t-shirts and season tickets, but that's pocket change in comparison to their endowment, especially after you back out the cost of attempting to have competitive football program year in and year out to have one big bowl game every quarter century.

For schools who are trying to increase their application numbers from around the country, being on TV always helps, which is why you see so many of the mid-to-lower-ranking (academically) state schools striving to build good athletics programs. (I bet Boise State gets a lot more out-of-state applicants than it did 20 years ago, for example.) For schools like U of C and Northwestern, however, their academic reputations assure that they get the type of applicants they want. The top students (and their parents, counselors, and teachers) who are looking at the top schools across the country are going to know about them regardless of whether they saw their football team on TV.
U of C also almost thrives on its reputation of academic vigor above all else with scant attention paid to any sports. Certainly its counterparts in the Ivy League as a whole isn’t very well known as an engine for churning out pro sports superstars.

As for the topic at hand, I think making the University of Illinois system a premier system the way that University of California has done where each campus is quite good as well as upgrading ISU is a good track. I actually think consolidating all of the none University of Illinois systems into one might be a good idea.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:55 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Why do people dismiss college athletics as just about money? There are a lot of people that are interested in excelling in college athletics—athletic programs attract people to schools, you know.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:26 PM

638 posts, read 240,684 times
Quote:
Why do people dismiss college athletics as just about money? There are a lot of people that are interested in excelling in college athletics—athletic programs attract people to schools, you know.
Illini athletics have been awful last 10 years and their enrollment has increased to record levels..

Old 07-04-2019, 10:42 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
Quote:
If you mean it helps a university to increase their enrollment, then that is still "about money"-- bringing in more tuition money. If you mean it helps highly selective universities (who are all ready getting many times more applicants than they can accept) to attract even higher-quality applicants, then I'm not convinced having a top-notch football program matters much, as evidenced by the aforementioned U of C.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:50 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
If you mean it helps a university to increase their enrollment, then that is still "about money"-- bringing in more tuition money. If you mean it helps highly selective universities (who are all ready getting many times more applicants than they can accept) to attract even higher-quality applicants, then I'm not convinced having a top-notch football program matters much, as evidenced by the aforementioned U of C.
I get the feeling that a lot of you did not attend high-ranking colleges/universities. There are a lot of people who excel in both academics and athletics. Schools like Northwestern, Michigan, and Illinois offer elite educations and opportunities to participate in Big Ten Conference athletics. Those are very attractive features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
Illini athletics have been awful last 10 years and their enrollment has increased to record levels..
Just because their teams have not won many championships does not mean that the athletic programs are terrible. There are many schools like BYU that have not won many championships but nonetheless have highly regarded and elite athletic programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago