Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 05:59 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
So you think that Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah and Washington all have more voter fraud than other states? These states already vote entirely by mail.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/2...o-coronavirus/
On the other hand.....

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/13/88975...-for-tardiness

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...voting/614446/

https://www.heritage.org/election-in...allot-failures

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/20/polit...ems/index.html

I can't speak for the motivations of those who want to change over to mail-in voting. Personally, I like the idea of getting more people involved, but not at the expense of fraud tipping the scales in ANY direction. Also, the motivations of some might simply be to sow enough doubt on the results such that they can claim the entire election null and void, and tip us even further into mayhem. Bottom line, we have only eighty-some days to set up a system that is safe, both from the spread of Covid, but also from election fraud. Ideas are appreciated. how about an online system, in which you have the ability (password protected) to go back and see how your vote was actually counted after the fact? However, note that one of the foundations of our democracy is the "secret ballot", any system that allows others to go back and see you you voted is rotten at its core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 09:23 AM

226 posts, read 148,073 times
if Chicago was desegregated that would mean we were all financially equal. It not a race issue its an economic issue. Its also a cutlure issue. Its not about skin color but different cultures that have devoloped in america that are to diferent and do not get along.

Old 08-16-2020, 03:27 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
Unlike Southern Jim Crow laws or South African apartheid, anyone of any race is legally able to live wherever he wants if he can afford it. People often choose to live near people similar to themselves, and I don't think it is the business of the government to interfere with their decisions. Government forced segregation was wrong and so is government forced integration.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:38 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
So you think that Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah and Washington all have more voter fraud than other states? These states already vote entirely by mail.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/2...o-coronavirus/
I just think mail in voting is rife for fraud, whether some states do it or not. Here's an interesting take on the subject..

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...me_143972.html

Old 08-17-2020, 07:34 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
I have seen more blending in the city:

The West Ridge area that I have known as Pakistani/Jewish is showing more evidence of African.

The Armour Square area that I have known as Croatian and Sicilian has more of the Chinese (I would assume) moving south form Chinatown.

The Pilsen area that was beginning to have White individuals I recently noticed had Black/African-American individuals, and I never noticed this before (walking, riding bikes, in residences).

Understand, I have NO problems with any of this. I am just stating my experiences and observations.

Examples of Chicago being "desegregated" in more areas than maybe some may know.
Anyone else have the same observations?

Old 08-17-2020, 02:09 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post

The West Ridge area that I have known as Pakistani/Jewish is showing more evidence of African.

The Armour Square area that I have known as Croatian and Sicilian has more of the Chinese (I would assume) moving south form Chinatown.

The Pilsen area that was beginning to have White individuals I recently noticed had Black/African-American individuals, and I never noticed this before (walking, riding bikes, in residences).

Understand, I have NO problems with any of this. I am just stating my experiences and observations.

Examples of Chicago being "desegregated" in more areas than maybe some may know.
oh yes, i see Pilson is becoming gentrified with that population changing to young white people , more of them.. used to be strictly Hispanic. I do believe rents will go up and there goes one more affordable place for that population.

the strangest thing is my many years of life in Chicago, I've seen neighborhoods change. Wicker Park was totally Puerto Rican when i was a teenager and rode on the Blue line thru there, then it changed.

Another strange site was on the Green line which goes down Lake street, about Western Ave, white people got on and off the train,, that was weird, i have never known anyone but black people be there at that stop.

the west loop, over by Canal and Madison has TOTALLY CHANGED from a nothing-ville which had lots of empty lots, where they built the social security building, wow has that changed from deserted lots to now look at it.

Garfield Park which has that beautiful whatchamacallit that has flowers and stuff in it (green house?? but i think it has a fancier name) that looked so pretty, but i was hesitant to go there because we dare not go enter a black neighborhood.

also, 35th and the Expressway (east of it) is integreated, which was unusual, and also what looks like the area by Goose island was totally beat down, but not its being gentrified. Also Cabrini Green area has changed so much.

the near south loop has totally changed from a beat down area to now a very expensive neighborhood. I worked in my 20's over there on 21st and Michigan, and it was deserted, now look at it.

amazing how i see new populations of people where i had never thought they would dare be a part of but now they are.

Old 08-17-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post

Thirty years ago, I used to work and hang at a small neighborhood dance club called "Crackers" on 63rd Street between Cicero and Pulaski. The area east of Kedzie had a mostly Latino population, with the area to the west mostly Caucasian. I drove through there recently, and was surprised how many businesses east of Cicero are now Latino (Spanish language signage on the buildings). I took Pulaski south to 79th, and saw much of the same on that route. So, it looks like much of the southwest side is now Hispanic. Nothing wrong with that, I was just surprised how much of it changed in 30 years. Other than the Spanish signage, it really looks just as it did thirty years ago, when the club closed. In the same timeframe, the mostly-black population that was primarily east of Kedzie, has now moved toward Pulaski, a much slower progression than has been done by Latinos. Scottsdale, like Mt. Greenwood, used to be an enclave of white city workers, but that seems to be changing.

Where did all the Crackers go, LOL? My guess is Orland, New Lenox, Mokena, and Plainfield, which have all grown dramatically since the 80's. Even the inner-ring suburbs are changing at a fairly advanced pace, lots of black shoppers in Oak Lawn now, and Chicago Ridge Mall, being one of the last indoor malls on the southwest side other than Ford City (which has been pretty much abandoned due to criminal activity), is seeing problems recently due to kids coming down 95th Street on the buses to start trouble at the mall, it has had to close down several times in recent months. The Times they are a Changin', I guess. On the other hand, "Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss' (written fifty years ago!).

Old 08-17-2020, 05:54 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
ChicagoMeO, the Conservatory

Old 08-17-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
oh yes.....
the near south loop has totally changed from a beat down area to now a very expensive neighborhood. I worked in my 20's over there on 21st and Michigan, and it was deserted, now look at it.

amazing how i see new populations of people where i had never thought they would dare be a part of but now they are.
Is 21st and Michigan going well these days? When I was 19 or so, I worked for a carpet installer who rented warehouse space right about there in a turn-of-the-century building, it was kitty-corner from a Burger King on the west side of Michigan. I remember seeing a big red brick building a block or two north, it turns out that was the old "Lexington Hotel", which I believe was owned by Al Capone, it was the building Geraldo Rivera did the "Al Capone's Vault" nothingburger episode on in the 80's - I didn't have the guts to go explore it because the neighborhood was a bit scary back then (I thought it was gutsy to walk to the Burger King for lunch, LOL). I'm almost positive the building I worked in was the scene (or very near) the nightclub where a lot of people died - somebody sprayed mace or something inside, but a stairway door was chained closed and people trampled each other to get out, I think that happened in the 90's (was it the E2C Nightclub, or something?).

Edit: I just used Google Maps to take a trip down Memory Lane (really, Michigan Avenue, forty-four years later). If that Burger King is still in the same location, I worked at either 2325 or 2329 Michigan, and BOY has that area changed. The building appears similar, but has all new windows and is the site of some nicer businesses. Per Google, the 2003 E2 Nightclub tragedy occurred at 2347 Michigan, a few buildings to the south of the one I worked in. It is still boarded up and appears vacant, probably still the subject of lawsuits 17 years later (21 people died in the "stampede" per Wikipedia). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_E...tclub_stampede

The building I mis-took for the Lexington at the time of Geraldo's "reveal" really wasn't, the Lexington Hotel was further north and on the east side of the street, the red brick building I remember was likely torn down (there's a vacant lot there now at the northwest corner of 21st and Michigan). Anyway, glad we got THAT cleared up after all this time.

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 08-17-2020 at 06:50 PM..

Old 08-18-2020, 08:01 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Is 21st and Michigan going well these days? When I was 19 or so, I worked for a carpet installer who rented warehouse space right about there in a turn-of-the-century building, it was kitty-corner from a Burger King on the west side of Michigan. I remember seeing a big red brick building a block or two north, it turns out that was the old "Lexington Hotel", which I believe was owned by Al Capone, it was the building Geraldo Rivera did the "Al Capone's Vault" nothingburger episode on in the 80's - I didn't have the guts to go explore it because the neighborhood was a bit scary back then (I thought it was gutsy to walk to the Burger King for lunch, LOL). I'm almost positive the building I worked in was the scene (or very near) the nightclub where a lot of people died - somebody sprayed mace or something inside, but a stairway door was chained closed and people trampled each other to get out, I think that happened in the 90's (was it the E2C Nightclub, or something?).

Edit: I just used Google Maps to take a trip down Memory Lane (really, Michigan Avenue, forty-four years later). If that Burger King is still in the same location, I worked at either 2325 or 2329 Michigan, and BOY has that area changed. The building appears similar, but has all new windows and is the site of some nicer businesses. Per Google, the 2003 E2 Nightclub tragedy occurred at 2347 Michigan, a few buildings to the south of the one I worked in. It is still boarded up and appears vacant, probably still the subject of lawsuits 17 years later (21 people died in the "stampede" per Wikipedia). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_E...tclub_stampede

The building I mis-took for the Lexington at the time of Geraldo's "reveal" really wasn't, the Lexington Hotel was further north and on the east side of the street, the red brick building I remember was likely torn down (there's a vacant lot there now at the northwest corner of 21st and Michigan). Anyway, glad we got THAT cleared up after all this time.
Yeah! I remember those places. Plus there was a hole in the wall fast food place that we and the other that visited our office went to for lunch, it was around the corner on 22nd Street just west of Michigan, its not there anymore.. was in the basement level. wow excellent French fries. I think also remember that nightclub that got on fire and people were stuck inside because they jammed themselves against the doors, i think it was called the E club or something, i think that's gone now. also Lakeside Printers or something like that a block east on 22nd street? sorry those are not vivid memories lol. but the bus ride from downtown to 21st looked VERY different. A long long time ago, that was automobile row, with lots of car dealers before i was born i think. coz it looked kinda deserted and industrial businesses that didn't look like they are any more in business.

so i worked there like 30 years ago, so the neighborhood has changed a lot!

I guesstimate that it is ok to travel down and explore, i should actually take a trip down there and report back to you. i know the south loop is being really improved, and back in 1980 you might not want to walk farther south than 22nd street, now condos are built all the way to there and beyond.. Maybe do a Google street view!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago