Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:53 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,182 times

Advertisements

HCC: I see a little of what you're saying but can't at all identify. Honestly, I feel if you can't find your niche in a place as diverse and vibrant as Chicago to the point of falling into a deep depression, then you should probably be looking inward for the problem. I've lived in six different countries on three continents. Believe me, as long as it is a time of peace no place is that good or that bad. A lot of life is what you make of it, and Chicago, while it might not fit your tastes as precisely as a place like New York, has more than enough opportunities for any reasonable person to seek some level of happiness.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:56 PM
HCC HCC started this thread

88 posts, read 290,418 times
I know a large group of people who moved to Chicago having the impression the city was one way and a month or 2 in, realized it was quite different. I am trying to understand where the discontent comes from. Yes, I did post this on other sites, for more feedback. I received none there because it isn't a visited site, so I am trying here.

Btw...love the Michael insert--you're hysterical!

Old 06-10-2009, 03:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,129 times
ajolotl, I would rep you if I could. In total agreement.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:04 PM

Ok, last time I'm stating this. Only interested in hearing other's stories. If you don't like what I'm saying or can't relate, please start a thread enumerating all the glories of Chicago. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:05 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,481 times
I love Chicago, but I must admit you have some valid points. I think part of your frustration comes from expecting Chicago to be world class city. Chicago is metropolitan, but you can never compare it to Paris, Rome, NYC, etc.. It tends to be socially conservative, and very blue collar. Da Bears and Da Bulls rule in Da Windy City. Mayor Daley said it himself, this is a lunch bucket town. Metrosexuals need not apply.

One of the things that have always bothered me about Chicago it's is racism. This forum is proof of it, majority of the threads on here end with some racist rant. The racial segregation is also something of an eyesore.

So Chicago may not be as sophisticated as other world cities, but it is more down to earth, you can't take that away from us.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Did Daly actually say that? Well, doesn't surprise me.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:10 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
As someone who makes a living in Chicago's art and design scene, and has a passing interest in the written word (I occasionally dabble in writing and like to go to lectures about, well, writing, and don't seem to have much difficulty finding authors who are reading and/or discussing their work at various venues) I've always found it amusing when people declare there are no arts, literary sorts, or people who appreciate the arts, or literary sorts, in this city. I seem to come across loads of them daily.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:11 PM

156 posts, read 330,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCC View Post
I'm curious to hear other's reasons for not liking Chicago. This is NOT a thread to tell of all the reasons you love Chicago or to defend it. While I'm sure valid, I'm not interested in hearing those stories here.

Can anyone relate?

I lived, or rather endured, Chicago from 2000-2005. I moved there with the best intentions, a good job offer out of school. My first exposure was Michigan Ave and apartment hunting on the North Side mid-afternoon when everyone was at work and the area was vacated. So, I never got the full picture or a feel for the people before moving there. I did notice it wasn't the best dressed city I had been to, but it seemed to have good museums, shopping and lots of young people like myself looking to have a good time. I thought, back then, "I can make this work!"

WRONG!!!

By 2004 I was depressed, miserable and not able to sleep.

I've forgotten or blocked a lot of it, but here are some of the reasons I loathe Chicago: (these are from my experiences)

1. Passive-aggressive. Don't confuse small pleasantries with friendliness or kindness. People in the Mid-West are bred not to be direct, it is considered rude there. They are raised to be "nicey-nice". They don't actually want to know you or how you're doing or what you're doing. It is just a formality to smile all the time, guffaw and talk nonsense at all times. I have NEVER met such back stabbing, nasty, two-faced liars in all my life! They aren't "nice" at all.

2. People are thugs-they really are! I happen to look young for my age, I dress well and for a guy, I guess I fall into the handsome, classic good looks category. This really bothered people in Chicago, where most guys are fat, balding and dress like ****. I had people shoulder-check me on the street (men AND women), in bars and come up to me and say, "**** you!" for no reason. People seemed to be really angry and looking to start fights. I mean the city itself is run by criminals. Oh, and by the way, be off the streets after the Cubs lose. Especially if you're gay or non-white. It will be taken out on you.

3. Intellectual stimulation. F'uggetaboutit! You will not find it here. Maybe if you are at University of Chicago, but, seriously, I didn't know anyone who read (literature. I'm not talking Cosmo, Maxim or The Red Eye) or could have an informed conversation about anything other than big 10 sports and beer. I happened to have gone to good schools (another point of contention among the locals...Yale? WTF?) I needed some kind of intellectual outlet and found NONE!

4. High culture is an upscale sports bar in Chicago.

5. Totally racist. I was shocked by the attitudes.

6. The accent. I mean, I now live in Brooklyn, which is known for having a very strong accent as well, but it's charming. The Chicago accent is absolutely the worst, save, maybe Boston. "Haaaaay you guys! Waaaaant some naaaachooos? "

7. Obsession with sports bars. GAG!!! I can't over-state this one. If I were in a group setting and suggested a decent place to eat or have drinks, I would be overridden with, "naaaah....I want some bar food and wanna watch the game!"

8. Where is this leading? Overall lack of sophistication. In NY, at a party for people in their late 20s-early 30s, you meet people with ambition and goals, dreams... Intersting careers, writers, designers, tops of their fields in finance or whatever. Well dressed, well read, up on current events and yes they can be annoying, don't get me wrong. You might break open some wine and the latest indie hits are playing in the background. It is all very grown-up and civilized. In Chicago, sadly, every party I went to had beer funnels, beer pong, stocky girls in tight, black pants and dudes in over-sized jeans or pleated khakis, t-shirt and french blue dress shirts, beer guzzling and acting like they were 19 back at the frat house at Michigan State. (or fill-in-the-blank Big 10)

9. Drunkards abound! My girlfriend in Chicago had gone to one of the Big 10s and was in a sorority where they had t-shirts made that said, "Alpha-holics." Her girlfriends would get together for their "Sex and the City" viewing nights and wear these t-shirts proudly. I would see girls at 3 AM putting their finger down their throat trying to puke on the sidewalk, guys completely passed out on top of each other, people holding on to cars as they tried to get home. Everyone there leads a life of desperation and the only way to forget about it is to get ****ed up every night of the week.

10. Everything there, even the good stuff, even being able to afford a nice apt in my 20's with a doorman, dinner at the new-hot restaurant, the lake in the summer, or whatever, seemed completely and totally mediocre.

What did I like? hmmm...the parks flanking the Art Institute (not Millenium Park). Also, it was pretty accessible, though there were few places I wanted to go and since I wear a medium and everyone else there wears large, xl or xxl, I could always find my size at sales, I can't do that in NY.

Last night, on the subway going back to Brooklyn, as I was crossing the bridge, I looked out my window, overlooking Manhattan and breathed a sigh of relief. Thank God I'm NOT in Chicago!!!
How much time did you spend on this post?

I find it ironic that you were consumed by such hatred for Chicago that you couldn't wait to leave the city...and when you did leave (and ultimately found yourself in an environment you believe to be superior), rather than move on with your life and enjoy your current situation, you spend your time prowling message boards complaining about the place you left behind.

New York's a lovely city. Go enjoy it.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:15 PM

Everyone please try to refrain from inserting my entire original post. I am NOT here to ruffle the feathers of those who love and adore Chicago--I spent 5 years having to sit through speeches of how wonderful a city it is. In my opinion, it is not and I have reasons previously stating why I am here asking if anyone can relate. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:17 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,033 times
Quote:
1. Passive-aggressive. Don't confuse small pleasantries with friendliness or kindness. People in the Mid-West are bred not to be direct, it is considered rude there. They are raised to be "nicey-nice". They don't actually want to know you or how you're doing or what you're doing. It is just a formality to smile all the time, guffaw and talk nonsense at all times. I have NEVER met such back stabbing, nasty, two-faced liars in all my life! They aren't "nice" at all.
Okay you want to talk passive aggressive move to seattle or san fran. Or even better the south. Come on dude, give me a break chicagoans are alot more in your face than pretty much everyone who isn't further north east than us.

Quote:
2. People are thugs-they really are! I happen to look young for my age, I dress well and for a guy, I guess I fall into the handsome, classic good looks category. This really bothered people in Chicago, where most guys are fat, balding and dress like ****. I had people shoulder-check me on the street (men AND women), in bars and come up to me and say, "**** you!" for no reason. People seemed to be really angry and looking to start fights. I mean the city itself is run by criminals. Oh, and by the way, be off the streets after the Cubs lose. Especially if you're gay or non-white. It will be taken out on you.
To some degree I can agree. Chicago can be a crude thuggish city in some respects. That for better for worse is our culture. But I challenge you to go to a city like Oakland or St. Louis, or memphis, where 80% of these cities pretty much resembles an NWA rap video from 1993. Or take a strole around nueva mexico city..I mean LA... these places make chicago look like manhattan.

Quote:
3. Intellectual stimulation. F'uggetaboutit! You will not find it here. Maybe if you are at University of Chicago, but, seriously, I didn't know anyone who read (literature. I'm not talking Cosmo, Maxim or The Red Eye) or could have an informed conversation about anything other than big 10 sports and beer. I happened to have gone to good schools (another point of contention among the locals...Yale? WTF?) I needed some kind of intellectual outlet and found NONE!
It's a shame you can't differenciate between a college town and a big city. You should have just hung around the university or went up to evanston.

Quote:
4. High culture is an upscale sports bar in Chicago.
You probably were not exposed to much "high" culture. It's all on the gold coast, or where my parents live in the north shore suburbs. Our downtown. We have gallaries, orchestras, symphonies, and museums too you know. You should have really tried a google search.

Quote:
5. Totally racist. I was shocked by the attitudes.
Agreed, but hey atleast we are not like Boston. Alot of racism comes from the people who are offspring of Irish and Italian and Polish Immigrants. Usually not more than a couple of generations removed from the stockyards when their people were persecuted. Now they get to pass the buck. Hypocritical I know, but thats the way it is around here. Always has been.

Quote:
6. The accent. I mean, I now live in Brooklyn, which is known for having a very strong accent as well, but it's charming. The Chicago accent is absolutely the worst, save, maybe Boston. "Haaaaay you guys! Waaaaant some naaaachooos? "
This is getting silly.

Quote:
7. Obsession with sports bars. GAG!!! I can't over-state this one. If I were in a group setting and suggested a decent place to eat or have drinks, I would be overridden with, "naaaah....I want some bar food and wanna watch the game!"
Talk about passive agressive, you should have put your foot down and found some different people to hang out with.

Quote:
8. Where is this leading? Overall lack of sophistication. In NY, at a party for people in their late 20s-early 30s, you meet people with ambition and goals, dreams... Intersting careers, writers, designers, tops of their fields in finance or whatever. Well dressed, well read, up on current events and yes they can be annoying, don't get me wrong. You might break open some wine and the latest indie hits are playing in the background. It is all very grown-up and civilized. In Chicago, sadly, every party I went to had beer funnels, beer pong, stocky girls in tight, black pants and dudes in over-sized jeans or pleated khakis, t-shirt and french blue dress shirts, beer guzzling and acting like they were 19 back at the frat house at Michigan State. (or fill-in-the-blank Big 10)
Oh forgive people in chicago for being able to kick back enjoy themselves and their friends and be themselves and enjoy *gasp* a domestic beer. And for some one who is what ? 30 years old, you have alot of nerve commenting on fashion considering your picture on your profile? Have you ever heard of hipster bingo? You would classify as the "over 30" hipster. http://www.catbirdseat.org/catbirdseat/bingo.html

Quote:
9. Drunkards abound! My girlfriend in Chicago had gone to one of the Big 10s and was in a sorority where they had t-shirts made that said, "Alpha-holics." Her girlfriends would get together for their "Sex and the City" viewing nights and wear these t-shirts proudly. I would see girls at 3 AM putting their finger down their throat trying to puke on the sidewalk, guys completely passed out on top of each other, people holding on to cars as they tried to get home. Everyone there leads a life of desperation and the only way to forget about it is to get ****ed up every night of the week.
Now I see where some of this repressed anger is comming from, LOL

Quote:
10. Everything there, even the good stuff, even being able to afford a nice apt in my 20's with a doorman, dinner at the new-hot restaurant, the lake in the summer, or whatever, seemed completely and totally mediocre.
Well be sure to tell us how living like peasant in nyc is.

Quote:
Last night, on the subway going back to Brooklyn, as I was crossing the bridge, I looked out my window, overlooking Manhattan and breathed a sigh of relief. Thank God I'm NOT in Chicago!!!
Thank god you never crossed my path, I would be in a military prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago