U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2010, 08:56 PM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,456,138 times
Reputation: 989

Advertisements

Eternal Torment preached at Baccalaureate

Tonight a public speaker flew in from Atlanta to speak at my daughter's baccalaureate. The main topic was heaven or hell. This guy rubbs elbows with all the famous athletes. He starts off by asking the audience if anyone believe hell is eternal. I said "NO!" But he didn't get a good enough response from the audience so he asked the question again "Does anyone here believe hell is eternal?" and this time I yelled "NO!!!!". Lot's of people turned around and looked right at me. He continued as if nothing was said.
He spent 45 minutes mentally abusing the graduates telling them all about how God is going to eternally torment them in hell if they don't believe in Him. He kept snapping his fingers and saying "every second two people in the world die. Before your head hits the pillow over a hundred thousand people will have died in the world. What are you going to do about it? All those people will go to heaven or hell he said.

After the abuse session I had a word with him in front of my daughter. I asked him, Mark, would your earthly father torture you if you didn't do what he told you to do? He snapped back: "What's your point." So I asked again, very gently, Would your dad build a bonfire in the back yard and torture you in those flames if you didn't do what he told you to do. He replied "No. What's your point." So I asked him if his earthly father is more loving than his heavenly father.

Then I started telling him all about 1 Timothy 2:4-6 how that God will save all mankind because Christ ransomed all. I told him to do a study on the world "ransom" through the whole bible and prove to himself that everyone ransomed had to be freed. He replied, Yea but there is a hell and lots of people are going there. I replied, Mark, what did I just say? I said "God will have all mankind to be saved because Christ ransomed all mankind. He asked, What's the context? I replied "we are to pray for all mankind, for kings and all who are in authority for God will have all mankind to be saved for Christ ransomed all." He asked: Are you a Jehovah's Witness?" I said No. He said: Well there is a hell and there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. I replied that that hell is Gehenna and it is only for the thousand years. And I said the lake of fire is the second death and that no one suffers in the lake of fire because it is death. He replied, "yea but it is for ever and ever and ever and ever." I replied, No it is just for ever and ever. He replied, well that's eternity isn't it? I said no and I rattled off the Greek for it. So he told me to send him some literature and he'd read it. He said "You can't prove to me it's not eternal." I laughed and pointed my finger right at him and said "I sure can prove it's not eternal!"
I told him, Mark, you are tormented by this. He said "No I'm not." I said of course you are. You are tormented. I told him I used to preach hell and damnation. He said you need to get back to it. I said to just search out the word "ransom" and prove to yourself that all ransomed must be freed.
My daughter was amazed I wouldn't back down from this 6'6 or so tall guy.

Anyway, what book do you think I should send him that you think would really help him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2010, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,386,811 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Eternal Torment preached at Baccalaureate

Tonight a public speaker flew in from Atlanta to speak at my daughter's baccalaureate. The main topic was heaven or hell. This guy rubbs elbows with all the famous athletes. He starts off by asking the audience if anyone believe hell is eternal. I said "NO!" But he didn't get a good enough response from the audience so he asked the question again "Does anyone here believe hell is eternal?" and this time I yelled "NO!!!!". Lot's of people turned around and looked right at me. He continued as if nothing was said.
He spent 45 minutes mentally abusing the graduates telling them all about how God is going to eternally torment them in hell if they don't believe in Him. He kept snapping his fingers and saying "every second two people in the world die. Before your head hits the pillow over a hundred thousand people will have died in the world. What are you going to do about it? All those people will go to heaven or hell he said.

After the abuse session I had a word with him in front of my daughter. I asked him, Mark, would your earthly father torture you if you didn't do what he told you to do? He snapped back: "What's your point." So I asked again, very gently, Would your dad build a bonfire in the back yard and torture you in those flames if you didn't do what he told you to do. He replied "No. What's your point." So I asked him if his earthly father is more loving than his heavenly father.

Then I started telling him all about 1 Timothy 2:4-6 how that God will save all mankind because Christ ransomed all. I told him to do a study on the world "ransom" through the whole bible and prove to himself that everyone ransomed had to be freed. He replied, Yea but there is a hell and lots of people are going there. I replied, Mark, what did I just say? I said "God will have all mankind to be saved because Christ ransomed all mankind. He asked, What's the context? I replied "we are to pray for all mankind, for kings and all who are in authority for God will have all mankind to be saved for Christ ransomed all." He asked: Are you a Jehovah's Witness?" I said No. He said: Well there is a hell and there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. I replied that that hell is Gehenna and it is only for the thousand years. And I said the lake of fire is the second death and that no one suffers in the lake of fire because it is death. He replied, "yea but it is for ever and ever and ever and ever." I replied, No it is just for ever and ever. He replied, well that's eternity isn't it? I said no and I rattled off the Greek for it. So he told me to send him some literature and he'd read it. He said "You can't prove to me it's not eternal." I laughed and pointed my finger right at him and said "I sure can prove it's not eternal!"
I told him, Mark, you are tormented by this. He said "No I'm not." I said of course you are. You are tormented. I told him I used to preach hell and damnation. He said you need to get back to it. I said to just search out the word "ransom" and prove to yourself that all ransomed must be freed.
My daughter was amazed I wouldn't back down from this 6'6 or so tall guy.

Anyway, what book do you think I should send him that you think would really help him?
I'm not that brave, yet. Good for you.

You just reminded me why I am SO GLAD we are not in the middle ages!!! But, it could get pretty bad here in the United States, soon. The religious fervor seems to be picking up, and it would be the Universalists (the ones who will not CHOOSE a side, i.e. cowards) who are run over by the mob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2010, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,458,872 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Eternal Torment preached at Baccalaureate

Tonight a public speaker flew in from Atlanta to speak at my daughter's baccalaureate. The main topic was heaven or hell. This guy rubbs elbows with all the famous athletes. He starts off by asking the audience if anyone believe hell is eternal. I said "NO!" But he didn't get a good enough response from the audience so he asked the question again "Does anyone here believe hell is eternal?" and this time I yelled "NO!!!!". Lot's of people turned around and looked right at me. He continued as if nothing was said.
He spent 45 minutes mentally abusing the graduates telling them all about how God is going to eternally torment them in hell if they don't believe in Him. He kept snapping his fingers and saying "every second two people in the world die. Before your head hits the pillow over a hundred thousand people will have died in the world. What are you going to do about it? All those people will go to heaven or hell he said.

After the abuse session I had a word with him in front of my daughter. I asked him, Mark, would your earthly father torture you if you didn't do what he told you to do? He snapped back: "What's your point." So I asked again, very gently, Would your dad build a bonfire in the back yard and torture you in those flames if you didn't do what he told you to do. He replied "No. What's your point." So I asked him if his earthly father is more loving than his heavenly father.

Then I started telling him all about 1 Timothy 2:4-6 how that God will save all mankind because Christ ransomed all. I told him to do a study on the world "ransom" through the whole bible and prove to himself that everyone ransomed had to be freed. He replied, Yea but there is a hell and lots of people are going there. I replied, Mark, what did I just say? I said "God will have all mankind to be saved because Christ ransomed all mankind. He asked, What's the context? I replied "we are to pray for all mankind, for kings and all who are in authority for God will have all mankind to be saved for Christ ransomed all." He asked: Are you a Jehovah's Witness?" I said No. He said: Well there is a hell and there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. I replied that that hell is Gehenna and it is only for the thousand years. And I said the lake of fire is the second death and that no one suffers in the lake of fire because it is death. He replied, "yea but it is for ever and ever and ever and ever." I replied, No it is just for ever and ever. He replied, well that's eternity isn't it? I said no and I rattled off the Greek for it. So he told me to send him some literature and he'd read it. He said "You can't prove to me it's not eternal." I laughed and pointed my finger right at him and said "I sure can prove it's not eternal!"
I told him, Mark, you are tormented by this. He said "No I'm not." I said of course you are. You are tormented. I told him I used to preach hell and damnation. He said you need to get back to it. I said to just search out the word "ransom" and prove to yourself that all ransomed must be freed.
My daughter was amazed I wouldn't back down from this 6'6 or so tall guy.

Anyway, what book do you think I should send him that you think would really help him?

Just because you don't believe it, that doesn't make it any less true. All it means is.... you just don't believe it! I'd say this guy is on to something......and I mean, on the mark! What book would do I think you should send him, that you think would really help him? Is it not the Bible he preaches from? Then "MARK" his words...he's got it right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2010, 09:13 PM
 
5,741 posts, read 4,593,454 times
Reputation: 4162
I'm not sure what to send him, I just wanted to say GOOD FOR YOU, my friend. For speaking up!
God bless you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2010, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,386,811 times
Reputation: 437
I tried to rep you, Eusebius. I have to spread it around.

I am reading the Restitution of All Things by Andrew Jukes. That one is from the 1800s.

But, you could also tell him to try Tentmaker. There are a lot of good resources on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,458,872 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I'm not that brave, yet. Good for you.

You just reminded me why I am SO GLAD we are not in the middle ages!!! But, it could get pretty bad here in the United States, soon. The religious fervor seems to be picking up, and it would be the Universalists (the ones who will not CHOOSE a side, i.e. cowards) who are run over by the mob.

It's NOT about Universalist against ET! You are missing the POINT!! It's about those who have chosen....AND THEY"RE not cowards! Is that how you really view them?

Yes, it is all about the undecided, but I would never call them that! When did you 'arrived"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 PM
 
1,883 posts, read 2,486,637 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Just because you don't believe it, that doesn't make it any less true. All it means is.... you just don't believe it! I'd say this guy is on to something......and I mean, on the mark! What book would do I think you should send him, that you think would really help him? Is it not the Bible he preaches from? Then "MARK" his words...he's got it right!
And just because you do believe it doesn't make it any more true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2010, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,386,811 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
It's NOT about Universalist against ET! You are missing the POINT!! It's about those who have chosen....AND THEY"RE not cowards! Is that how you really view them?

Yes, it is all about the undecided, but I would never call them that! When did you 'arrived"?
I was calling Universalists "cowards," which is how others see us.

Betsey, we (those that believe in the Restoration of All) are NOT undecided! Personally, I have never been so "decided" in all my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2010, 09:49 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,430 posts, read 29,583,218 times
Reputation: 29947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Just because you don't believe it, that doesn't make it any less true. All it means is.... you just don't believe it! I'd say this guy is on to something......and I mean, on the mark! What book would do I think you should send him, that you think would really help him? Is it not the Bible he preaches from? Then "MARK" his words...he's got it right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
3,381 posts, read 3,386,811 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Just out of curiosity,how many of the ET folks here could even begin to conceive of God punishing 80 years worth of normal human life with neverending torment in the fires of hell if they weren't taught it,told they must believe it,and threatened with the possibility of going there themselves if they began to doubt it?

Could anyone really conceive of such a thing on their own?
That is such an awesome question!

When I was little I was told God was love. All was well. Then I was told he was going to set the people he made on fire for eternity. I went to a very dark place.

The only minds that could have conceived of such things were pagan ones. Not just any old pagans; the ones that believed in warring Greek gods and goddesses. The ONLY reason people hang on to this doctrine (I'm talking about the THINKERS with imagination), is because of fear!

God IS LOVE! What is so hard to understand? I guess we are still TOO human to get it.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top