Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 11:31 AM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I really like this post!!
God lets Esau (the flesh) have its way, until it's time for Jacob (the Spirit) to inherit the blessing..
Sodom is destroyed and then restored.

16 Therefore all they that devour thee shall be devoured; and all thine adversaries, every one of them, shall go into captivity; and they that spoil thee shall be a spoil, and all that prey upon thee will I give for a prey. 17 For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the LORD; because they called thee an Outcast, saying, This is Zion, whom no man seeketh after. (Jer. 30)

Blessings!
Brian
Yes and that is what resurrection is all about --- it seems to me that there are 2 ways that those that believe in annihilation view resurrection

1) That there is no resurrection of the unbelievers only believers are resurrected

2) That unbelievers are resurrected in a body that is able to be destroyed when they are judged via the lake of fire.

But to me that goes against Jesus being the resurrection and life, death being destroyed, resurrection of all to judgment, and the dead being raised in a spiritual incorruptible body...........

Where eternal torment seems to come from is the realisation that the dead are raised in a spiritual incorruptible body and knowing that it can not die bcause death is defeated. So you get the living dead scenario in an everlasting lake of fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Every person is born tare/goat/bad fish, but becomes wheat/sheep/good fish when we are saved. God loves us and wants us to be righteous, but some refuse to be.

The Bible doesn't lie: the angels WILL separate the wicked from the righteous.
So by your reasoning a baby is born a tare and if they die in infancy they go to hell right? because they have not believed and changed into a wheat .......

Old 11-16-2010, 11:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
. . . are you suggesting that humans are better than God? How does such a heinous mindset develop and spread so widely? What Spirit would be so opposite of Jesus?
No, I never suggested humans are better than God. Nor would I ever compare us to a God. You did that, not me.

As long as you continue to compare us to God, you will stuggle to understand. The problem is that you think God is like us, and that He thinks like you, and that you can figure God out by use of human logic and human standards. No, He is not like us, and His standards are not our standards.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
So by your reasoning a baby is born a tare and if they die in infancy they go to hell right? because they have not believed and changed into a wheat .......
Would you like to start a new thread about what happens to infants when they die?

Old 11-16-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Would you like to start a new thread about what happens to infants when they die?
Not really --

Old 11-16-2010, 12:01 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Why do babies always get a "free pass" into heaven? (Hmm, not everyone believes that I guess, but anyway...)

What about 2 year olds?
What about 6 year olds?
What about 14 year olds who were just never taught anything about God?
What about those who were born in other countries who never heard of God?
What about mentally disadvantaged who can't comprehend the idea of God?
What about people who just never had a good teacher?
What about people who only had the wrong ideas about God taught to them?
What about people who weren't capable of understanding what God was about?
What about people whose parents forced a certain idea of God on them?
What about people whose parents forced no idea of God on them?
What about people who grew up in countries where God is forbidden to be spoken of?
What about atheists who were turned off God due to being taught the wrong thing?
What about people who believed in God for decades and then became atheists?
What about the whole human race who never asked to be born or to be sinners or to even exist?

Sorry I'm off topic... if someone starts the thread I'll post it there...

Old 11-16-2010, 12:11 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

I count 10---count 'em---TEN conditional statement Jesus makes that state a contingency to eternal life

Basically Jesus is saying "IF you do this you will have eternal life."
It's picture day at school, and you tell your child, "You will not get your picture taken without a haircut."

Now, who's responsible for the haircut?

Old 11-16-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Why do babies always get a "free pass" into heaven? (Hmm, not everyone believes that I guess, but anyway...)

What about 2 year olds?
What about 6 year olds?
What about 14 year olds who were just never taught anything about God?
What about those who were born in other countries who never heard of God?
What about mentally disadvantaged who can't comprehend the idea of God?
What about people who just never had a good teacher?
What about people who only had the wrong ideas about God taught to them?
What about people who weren't capable of understanding what God was about?
What about people whose parents forced a certain idea of God on them?
What about people whose parents forced no idea of God on them?
What about people who grew up in countries where God is forbidden to be spoken of?
What about atheists who were turned off God due to being taught the wrong thing?
What about people who believed in God for decades and then became atheists?
What about the whole human race who never asked to be born or to be sinners or to even exist?

Sorry I'm off topic... if someone starts the thread I'll post it there...
Yes, you are off topic, but you are lucky because there are many threads about those questions already.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:42 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Still waiting for your thoughts on this:

We must follow His commands. If we do not love then we do not have eonian life (what you call eternal life). That is we do not know God - because God is love, and we are not practicing love.

So you had better be careful if you slip up and hate someone a little bit should we assume you have lost eternal life and are destined for eternal hell?

1 John 3:15 Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.

Finn, thrillobyte - do you believe you have lost your eternal life if you hate someone (even just a tiny bit)? According to your understanding, that is what 1 John 3:15 says.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:45 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Basically Jesus is saying "IF you do this you will have eternal life."
When Jesus said anything resembling IF he knew full well we couldn't live up to it. Was he playing games or trying to deceive us ? of cause not, it was said for one reason only and that was so the IF would find us out. Peter told Jesus he would die for him and never fall away and deny him

Even when Jesus said "If your righteousness does not exceed the righteousness of the scribe and pharisee, you will not enter into the kingdom , he is saying the same thing here too, i know my righteousness could never exceed that of the scribe and pharisee, it found me out, and then he opened my eyes and revealed he is my righteousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity