Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 01:46 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Why would you think it is holy and just to let someone you love be tormented for eternity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
Why wouldn't it be?
If you have to ask . . . you don't have the spiritual development to understand the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 01:50 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Justice is justice as long as it is rendered fairly by the Judge.
We reap what we sow. How can we sow an eternal consequence in a finite life?
Quote:
God is never indifferent or egotistical. He does get angry, but He does not sin.
I tire of the psychological ignorance that refuses to understand that ALL the negative human emotions of anger, vengeance, hate, envy, etc. are the result of our human weaknesses. God has no such weaknesses . . . hence God has NONE of the human negative emotions, period!!! (We have a pitiful education system in this country.)

Old 11-18-2011, 01:57 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
The question is whether the "torment" as you put it, is warranted. Is it torment to lock a murderer up for life? Perhaps...but it's justified.

Likewise, due to the infinite nature of God, whom our sin is against, He is justified in casting us into Hell for eternity.

It also says he IS just. And he IS Holy.
And in fact, God's holiness is spoken of more often in the Bible than His love is. God's love motivated Him to provide the means of salvation, but it is God's Justice which actually made salvation possible. And it is that same Justice which must leave in eternal condemnation those who die never having believed in Christ.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:59 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Why would you think it is holy and just to let someone you love be tormented for eternity?
#1 - We are talking about God, and not me. Like I said before, God is different than anyone we have seen or experienced. His ways are not our ways.

#2 - Why would God let people be tormented? According to Romans 9, he uses the vessels of wrath (those destined for destruction) as object lessons for His vessels of mercy (His children by faith). In other words, those whom God has chosen will look upon the wrath and power of God on vessels of wrath - and will recognize the riches and glory of being with the Father - and He will be worshipped for who He is. They will be thankful that God did not make them a vessel of wrath.

God has chosen some as vessels of wrath and others as vessels of mercy. Nothing you or I can do about it.

I can just about guarantee you that if you get to heaven, and you are with God and you see what's happening to the vessels of wrath - you will not turn up your nose at God. You will be thankful - you will be on your knees praising God for allowing you to be where you are.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:51 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Default Early on warning...

Okay folks, thread is re-opened. However, if June so much as sees a hint of denominational bashing the thread will be closed, and infractions issued. Okay?

"Yes June!"

Thanks everyone!

Old 11-18-2011, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 25,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Actually you must have misread my post. Let me clarify.
The bible says god is love.(agree?) God is just (agree?). Love is just (agree?). God is holy (agree?). Love is holy (agree?). Torment by it's very definition cannot be love, nor then is it just or holy. Whoever is doing the tormenting cannot be love.

Therefore, one can conclude that either god is not love or god is a hypocrite, or the torment is a harsh word for tough-love and the manner of torment is not eternal and IS corrective (no actual flames, spiritual).

Agree?
Does it really say that God is going to put you in hell? Show me.

Maybe, and I am not sure,because after all , who could second guess God.
What if mankind is on a couse to hell and God is just trying to show us how to get off of that road. Maybe man put man on the course to hell. Maybe God is doing all he can to show us how to get off of that road.
again.. MAYBE?

Old 11-18-2011, 03:08 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We reap what we sow. How can we sow an eternal consequence in a finite life?I tire of the psychological ignorance that refuses to understand that ALL the negative human emotions of anger, vengeance, hate, envy, etc. are the result of our human weaknesses. God has no such weaknesses . . . hence God has NONE of the human negative emotions, period!!! (We have a pitiful education system in this country.)

Sin, mystic...sin, not simply human weakness.

I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. Romans 7:18

We do reap what we sow...

The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Galatians 6:18

Old 11-18-2011, 03:11 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
And in fact, God's holiness is spoken of more often in the Bible than His love is. God's love motivated Him to provide the means of salvation, but it is God's Justice which actually made salvation possible. And it is that same Justice which must leave in eternal condemnation those who die never having believed in Christ.

The number of times something is mentioned in the bible does not negate one scripture. If the bible says the greatest of something is LOVE, then it need only say it once.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:13 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riley2112 View Post
Does it really say that God is going to put you in hell? Show me.

Maybe, and I am not sure,because after all , who could second guess God.
What if mankind is on a couse to hell and God is just trying to show us how to get off of that road. Maybe man put man on the course to hell. Maybe God is doing all he can to show us how to get off of that road.
again.. MAYBE?
I'll agree to a maybe... But of course that would mean man is more powerful than god when it comes to hell.

As for showing you where it says god puts people in hell... I'm not sure what you mean. I'm assuming god makes the rules and consequences.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:20 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
#1 - We are talking about God, and not me. Like I said before, God is different than anyone we have seen or experienced. His ways are not our ways.
DRob4JC, you raised the OP, so I asked you a question about what you thought it meant. Saying "His ways are not our ways" means nothing, for we should interpret that His ways are better than our ways.

Quote:
#2 - Why would God let people be tormented? According to Romans 9, he uses the vessels of wrath (those destined for destruction) as object lessons for His vessels of mercy (His children by faith).
Letting people be tormented for a finite amount of time, even a lifetime, is infinitely different that letting someone be tormented for infinity, with no reprieve, ever.

Quote:
In other words, those whom God has chosen will look upon the wrath and power of God on vessels of wrath - and will recognize the riches and glory of being with the Father - and He will be worshipped for who He is. They will be thankful that God did not make them a vessel of wrath.

God has chosen some as vessels of wrath and others as vessels of mercy. Nothing you or I can do about it.

I can just about guarantee you that if you get to heaven, and you are with God and you see what's happening to the vessels of wrath - you will not turn up your nose at God. You will be thankful - you will be on your knees praising God for allowing you to be where you are.
What you described above is the mob boss who takes pity on you while he shows you everyone else that he is letting be tortured forever. Doesn't sound like heaven to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity