Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 AM

175 posts, read 174,782 times

Advertisements

Phazelwood,

Gotcha, wish i could express my thoughts as good,

i also believe that time to God is nothing like it is to man, for Him He has been there and done/doing that, or i guess i'm trying to say, to Him, it (the end) is a done deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:53 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,443 times
PROV 1:23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.
PROV 1:24 Because I have called, and you refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
PROV 1:25 But you have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
PROV 1:26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear comes;
PROV 1:27 When your fear comes as desolation, and your destruction comes as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish comes upon you.
PROV 1:28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
PROV 1:29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:
PROV 1:30 They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.
PROV 1:31 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.

Debate with the Word not me.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:13 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
PROV 1:23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.
PROV 1:24 Because I have called, and you refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
PROV 1:25 But you have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
PROV 1:26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear comes;
PROV 1:27 When your fear comes as desolation, and your destruction comes as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish comes upon you.
PROV 1:28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
PROV 1:29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:
PROV 1:30 They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.
PROV 1:31 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.

Yep, I have been there, I am glad God prepared my way and I did not remain in that state of mind.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 PM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Quote:
Sis it does not say the Holy Spirit drove Jesus into the wilderness, it just says the spirit drove Jesus into the wilderness.

It is man inferance that the spirit spoken of is the Holy Spirit.
Pneuma, the context tells us that it was the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 3
13 Then Jesus *arrived from Galilee at the Jordan coming to John, to be baptized by him. 14 But John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I have need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me?” 15 But Jesus answering said to him, “Permit it at this time; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he *permitted Him. 16 After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and [i]he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and [j]lighting on Him, 17 and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, “This is [k]My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased

Matthew 4
1 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 And after He had fasted forty days and forty nights, He [a]then became hungry. 3 And the tempter came and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.” 4 But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.’”

Pneuma, Jesus does not follow anyone else's lead, only God's. The Holy Spirit led to be tempted and He overcame. God bless.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Hi, the same all who did not choose God and were left to their own devices will one day glorify Him and swear allegiance to Him. They will one day choose Him. The rebelliousness is a part of the process which will eventually lead to their restoration. He will subject all things to Himself (Hebrews 2) A man's will not always resist the will of the Creator who is able to subdue all to Himself. (Philippians 3:21) God bless.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
If God knows everything man will do from creation why do the scriptures say God changes His mind?

Would not a change of mind show that God does not know what man will do from creation?
Hi, I believe that this is an example of God condescending to relate and communicate to us on our level. Here are 2 good articles which discuss this, for anyone interested.

"God is not a man. This seems obvious, but we need to always remind ourselves of it, especially as God often condescends in Scripture to speak of Himself in the terms of a man. Our first consideration, then:

"El (God) is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of humanity, that He should feel regret; Does He say it and then not do it? Or speak, and then not carry it out?" (Num. 23:19)

Having established this absolute truth early in Scripture, (absolute truth as opposed to relative truth, that is, God's being as opposed to His methods), God can now give Himself human attributes to help humans understand Him. This is a figure of speech known as Condescension. When God is spoken of as if He were human, or were a part of His creation, this is done in His condescension, so that He can reveal Himself in terms within the range of human perception...

We easily get off track when we confuse His condescension with His absolute being. God is absolutely invisible and un-human. He condescends to reveal Himself in terms of visible, human attributes. ."

Merciful Truth : Does God Hate You, Sinner?

God's Word uses this figure to put emphasis on God. Sometimes God is brought down to the level of men and given human characteristics. Sometimes He is likened to an animal such as an eagle with wings. Sometimes He is likened to a plant or tree. And sometimes God is likened to an inanimate object - (God is a rock or fortress). In each of these cases the Word of God is bringing God down to the level of man's experience to put emphasis on God.

Figures of Speech (http://www.gtft.org/Library/miscellaneous/FiguresOfSpeechCondescension.htm - broken link)

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-04-2012 at 06:44 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 06:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
u r correct. doctrine of free will is, in the absolute, false. ultimately we can only do God's will.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:39 PM

Agree, He works all things according to His will, purpose. Thanks for sharing, Huckleberry. God bless.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,389,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I'm assuming you are talking about Exodus?

That change doesn't inherantly mean that God didn't know, it is perhaps an example that God chose something different from all the available options.

Morning Phase, no I was thinking about were God said Hezekiah would die of his sickness and Hezekiah prayed and God changed His mind. And where God said He would destroy Nineveh in 40 days, but when Nineveh repented God changed His mind and did not destroy them.

So I will ask the question again

Would not a change of mind show that God does not know what man will do from creation?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,389,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
No, I think God knows everything we will do. That doesn't prevent him from operating within the parameters of what is possible.

We get taught a black and white scenario with God, but since matters of God is faith most assertions we all make are mere speculation in the first place. So when we talk about these things, I think there is a lot of room to expand our thoughts about it.

Nevertheless, I think God created us unique individuals and I also think that there are countless paths to the same end, some are better to take than others. Some perhaps are equal and are only basically different based upon what we as individuals prefer.

I do agree with you about the preparations. However in Gods perspective there is no time, so he knows he already changed his mind based upon our petition to him.

In the end God already knows what played out, but we are still living it and we still are individuals who make choices. some good, some bad, perhaps many decisions can play out to the same end and it is only "different".

But God is aware of them all, but since we are individuals as he created us, there is room for the belief that God can know them all and still change his mind about them.
Huh! does God need more then one possibility? And how can there be countless paths if God knows the path one will take from the beginning of creation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity