Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:28 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The "urge" to go to Bible study is how your conditioned mind interpreted the prompting from the Holy Spirit. You never knew of any other way or place to seek understanding of God than from Bible study. So that is how you interpreted God's call. You looked in the wrong place . . . but that was not your fault. It is the fault of your prior church and the indoctrination you received. You wanted God to call and He did . . . you just answered the wrong phone.

God does not physically intervene, Ilene . . . just spiritually. Your worldly troubles have nothing to do with God. (They may have to do with your actions, but that is a separate issue.) Your external focus and your challenges to God . . .(eg. either show me a sign or I will remain an atheist) . . . are not helpful. God is within, Ilene. Look there. Develop your inner sense and you will find His love and acceptance.

Only you will be able to notice when it happens . . . no one else . . . just as you noticed His call. It is always an individual sensation. Be silent, sincere and alert. No thinking . . . just sensing. Your journey out of ancient ignorance began on a mountain in solitude, if I remember correctly. You need to continue that inward search, my sister.
God Bless in Christ's love,
Mystic
Amen Mystic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lantern View Post
Why did you lose your faith, or what was the deciding factor that made you not believe God exists?
Those are real good questions Lantern, and I'm not sure I have an answer for you. It was a process and I just started to question everything and see the inconsistencies and contradictions in the Bible and elsewhere and realized one day that there is absolutely no concrete evidence for a God. It's all about faith, and I lost it. Without faith there is nothing. Actually, science doesn't explain the universe and why we're here either so I don't buy the whole "big bang" thing as an explanation so I don't know where I stand any longer.

Christianity and "churchianity" just don't make any sense anymore. I suppose I could just "choose" to believe but that wouldn't be sincere at this point. I'm going to expose myself to Christians/believers to see what happens. I don't know what else to do right now because what I'm doing is not working.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,901 times
Thanks to all of you for your responses, I really appreciate it. I'm so busy right now trying to straighten out this mess that I'm in that I really don't have time to focus on what I believe or don't believe. Guess I'll just have to be happy with being a lonely agnostic right now until it's all worked out. I hope that Shana is right and that if there is a God he will give me some answers in time.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:59 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Thanks to all of you for your responses, I really appreciate it. I'm so busy right now trying to straighten out this mess that I'm in that I really don't have time to focus on what I believe or don't believe. Guess I'll just have to be happy with being a lonely agnostic right now until it's all worked out. I hope that Shana is right and that if there is a God he will give me some answers in time.
Illene

I see you at peace and lightness of spirit. Just calling the things that are not as though they were. why don't you join me in seeing yourself that way. That is what God wants you looking at. Your circumstances won't change by looking at them,so why not give it a go.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times
Hi Ilene. I was just wondering about you yesterday ... hadn't seen you posting in a while and was hoping all is well with you. I'm really sorry to hear that things are seeming out of control for you at the moment.

I was just listening to something this morning ... I have no idea if it will be helpful to you but I'll post a link to it anyway, just in case:

Two Spiritual Practices to Help Increase Your Ability to Manifest Compassion | | Dick Rauscher - Stonyhill NuggetsDick Rauscher – Stonyhill Nuggets

I don't think we need to be sure about the answers to all our questions in order to grow spiritually. Sometimes, I think it's in the NOT knowing, that we can grow the most. Maybe your "mess" is even providing lots of opportunity for growth, if you are able to take the time to see it?

Be good to yourself -- you deserve that -- and take care.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:21 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
I would suggest reading the prodigal son parable Luke 15:11-31 expecially the fact after the son came to understand that he wasn't better off being away, he simply confessed his sin and while he was along way off (meaning God doesn't wait around to see if you're deserving or how sincere you'll be or what other humans think) hurried off to meet him with open arms.

Matthew 11:28
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:23 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
I went to Bible study!! Why? I don't know really, it seemed to be the right thing to do and I haven't been doing much of that lately. Something is not right here and I've got to get to the bottom of it. Since becoming agnostic and losing my faith my world has crumbled into ruins....I mean it's really really bad. I can't go into detail but it's sending me back to take another look at why this is happening. Is there a God and if there is, is he trying to tell me something? WHAT!!??

When I was a Christian I had such strong faith, it was unshakable. How do I get that back when the Bible seems so incredulous to me now? I even think I actually have become atheist because I stopped believing in God completely. Where do I go from here? Am I crazy? Not that I ever had a charmed life or anything before I became agnostic but it sure was better than this.

I felt comfortable tonight and at ease. I always enjoyed Bible study but I wanted to blurt out "hey! There's an atheist amongst you!!" and see the shock and horror on their faces. But I didn't. I just listened. I guess I was waiting for a "sign" or some tiny little inkling that God actually does exist and he actually cares what happens to me. Didn't happen. I actually long for the days of the ignorant bliss of being a believer. What will it take to convince me? My prayers never ever got answered in the past but I have to say that as a believer life was better and more settled. Now it's just a whirlwind of heartache and disaster that has nearly put me over the edge.

I'm not a very good agnostic/atheist I guess. I don't even know why I'm posting this, just thought it was sorta weird that I went to bible study. And I don't really know what I expect from you guys as far as responses because I'm at a loss myself. Maybe you could use your little prayer magic and give me some answers?
Knowledge brings sorrow...

Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM

531 posts, read 479,691 times
Quote:
I went to Bible study!! Why? I don't know really, it seemed to be the right thing to do and I haven't been doing much of that lately. Something is not right here and I've got to get to the bottom of it. Since becoming agnostic and losing my faith my world has crumbled into ruins....I mean it's really really bad. I can't go into detail but it's sending me back to take another look at why this is happening. Is there a God and if there is, is he trying to tell me something? WHAT!!??

When I was a Christian I had such strong faith, it was unshakable.
Ilene, I want to respond but I need to point some things out first. I am not being nit-picky, but rather I'm trying to get you to see what I see from your words. thereby you can know why i'm saying what i'm saying...

You say that Since becoming agnostic and losing my faith ... and then in the next paragraph you say, you had such strong faith, it was unshakable.

Well, i see this as an issue. It was obviously shakable. You lost your faith. Unshakeable means you will not lose it.
Psalm 62:6 He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be shaken.

Sometimes i think we want to think what we have is incorruptable... but oftentimes we find the adverse is true. Ilene, Peter is a great example of someone who found, many times in fact, that his faith was not what he thought it was. There is nothing wrong with that. It is something we all go through. You are not alone.

Quote:
How do I get that back when the Bible seems so incredulous to me now? I even think I actually have become atheist because I stopped believing in God completely. Where do I go from here? Am I crazy? Not that I ever had a charmed life or anything before I became agnostic but it sure was better than this.

I felt comfortable tonight and at ease. I always enjoyed Bible study but I wanted to blurt out "hey! There's an atheist amongst you!!" and see the shock and horror on their faces. But I didn't. I just listened.
When i read this i smiled. because something very similar happened to me while i was teaching my teen class one wednesday night. a young girl in my class is really good about inviting people she knows to church. The visitor was very courteous and attentive, but i asked a question to the class (can't remember the question), but no one answered at first. i asked her directly, because she seemed like she had something to say... and she said, "I'm an atheist."

well as you might imagine, my lesson was over and i was off and running on this. I said, "well, then you are in the right place."
she had never told anyone in such a public place. she said she wanted to tell her parents but couldn't... and that being in a class with a bunch of people she didn't know actually made it easier. the girl that brought her was embarrassed after class and I told her not to be. Christ came to seek and save the lost and that is EVERYBODY. I never saw the girl since. I tried to friend request her on facebook but nothing yet.

You should have said something. I think that since you say you wanted to proclaim it, you wanted them to know. "to see the shock on their faces"... I'm not really sure that's why you wanted to...

I may be off-script here, but if you were a strong atheist, i'd have no problem believing that... but since you went to this bible study because it seemed like the right thing to do... that seems a little self-defeating. I think, based on what you say, that you wanted to say that so they could offer help. The fact that you didn't tells me that you are not ready for their help yet. You are waiting for the answer for yourself and posting here. Again... if i am wrong, then i deeply appologize. Please don't think me rude, Ilene.

Quote:
I guess I was waiting for a "sign" or some tiny little inkling that God actually does exist and he actually cares what happens to me. Didn't happen. I actually long for the days of the ignorant bliss of being a believer. What will it take to convince me?
This sounds like an atheist statement to me, given my experience with them. Richarddawkins.net and personal face-to-face. They want a sign of God's power, existence, etc.

John 20:24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples were saying to him, “We have seen the Lord!†But he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.â€

The atheists i talk to are offended when i compare them to an apostle. now, i know that Thomas was an apostle and thereby a great man and Christian, but he is also a great example of one wanting a sign to validate a belief.

26 After eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus *came, the doors having been shut, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.†27 Then He *said to Thomas, “Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing.†28 Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!†29 Jesus *said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.â€

i hope you do not wait for a sign... They are not coming. the next sign will be accompanied with trumpets.

Quote:
My prayers never ever got answered in the past but I have to say that as a believer life was better and more settled. Now it's just a whirlwind of heartache and disaster that has nearly put me over the edge.
believers don't look at God as a support system to make them feel better. God isn't an ATM machine that better not be overdrawn or i'm switching banks. There is Joy in Christ, but that Joy comes after the tribulations we go through here. Don't ever let anyone tell you that Christians are happy all the time and never have problems. I'm sure you realize that that is not true. like you said, you didn't have a charmed life... me neither. But even when the trials get me down, i know the promises of God. And the faith... Eph 6:16 ...taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.

The shield is the part that takes the most abuse. It needs to be strong. I think you want that. I think that's why you went to the bible study. I think you were looking for a way back in. I think you were there to see if there was something there for you. And if you shield has taken so much abuse that you can barely keep ahold of it... It might be time to start swinging the sword. to me, that is why the bible study seemed like the right thing to do. Eph 6:17... sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Quote:
I'm not a very good agnostic/atheist I guess.
you can't be both. from what you have written, i think you are an agnostic... now for me to say you are a good agnostic, might sound like a crazy thing, but you are a fine agnostic. you are in the middle... unsure which is right. that's what agnosticism is. You are not an atheist. You may be one day, but not when you posted this...

Quote:
I don't even know why I'm posting this, just thought it was sorta weird that I went to bible study. And I don't really know what I expect from you guys as far as responses because I'm at a loss myself. Maybe you could use your little prayer magic and give me some answers?
Prayer is not magic. it is statements like this that make me think that you are leaning toward atheism. I'd like to help, but also am not sure what you need from me or anyone. I'm confused if you are wanting help to keep you from going farther toward atheism, or not.

one more time, if i have mis-interpreted your wording, i am very sorry. I hope you forgive me if i have. I am willing to talk further. and I will pray for you, but there will be no magic involved.

adam.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:

When I was a Christian I had such strong faith, it was unshakable. How do I get that back when the Bible seems so incredulous to me now? I even think I actually have become atheist because I stopped believing in God completely. Where do I go from here? Am I crazy? Not that I ever had a charmed life or anything before I became agnostic but it sure was better than this.

I felt comfortable tonight and at ease. I always enjoyed Bible study but I wanted to blurt out "hey! There's an atheist amongst you!!" and see the shock and horror on their faces. But I didn't. I just listened. I guess I was waiting for a "sign" or some tiny little inkling that God actually does exist and he actually cares what happens to me. Didn't happen. I actually long for the days of the ignorant bliss of being a believer. What will it take to convince me? My prayers never ever got answered in the past but I have to say that as a believer life was better and more settled. Now it's just a whirlwind of heartache and disaster that has nearly put me over the edge.

I'm not a very good agnostic/atheist I guess. I don't even know why I'm posting this, just thought it was sorta weird that I went to bible study. And I don't really know what I expect from you guys as far as responses because I'm at a loss myself. Maybe you could use your little prayer magic and give me some answers?
You should go again, and next time ask for the group to pray for you. He will restore your peace if you let Him.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,637 times
Quote:

Glad you are not closed off. Glad you are trying. God is working on your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity