Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:49 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times

Advertisements

Falling from faith can happen when believers begin to tolerate authority of the adversary and compromise the truth that Lord Jesus gave us ..... Even Me as I read and post in the Religion and Philosophy forum , last night I had a vision of ``Seeing a box of broad of white vipers with real teeth, and three vipers jumped on my body in the spirit and one bite me with sharp teeth and I ripped them apart with my hands and took them off ``.... I see these White vipers serpents are religious spirits who may be trying to get in to corrupt the work Jesus did in my life .... I made a doctrine in my life and walk with Lord Jesus that I would alway go to church , but that may not be the same church throughout my days in the earth and a strive to honor the Lord and His spirit in this corrupt world ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 05:02 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,313 times
I haven't been on here in a long time, but the first thing I read was this thread this morning. You've been on heart all day and I've been praying for you and will continue to pray for you.

Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I'm no scholar Luminous so I don't fully understand what you're saying about the big bang theory but I guess I know enough to make a decision about it (whew, finally something) and that decision is that I don't accept it as an explanation for time, space, matter or existence. Maybe if I were more scientifically minded I would see it differently but I'm not so there it stands.
The fact that you're even thinking about time, space, matter and existence means you are scientifically minded. :-)

You're right that to understand the big bang requires a little more in-depth knowledge of physics. In fact, it follows directly from the theory of general relativity which was Einstein's well-known discovery a century ago.

Many discoveries in science are counter-inuitive to normal experience. For example, a star of great mass can collapse to form what's called a gravitational singularity. This is known as a black hole. It has zero volume, infinite density and infinite spacetime curvature. What this means is that time and space do not exist inside a black hole.

Similarly, our entire universe was essentially like a black hole at the moment of the big bang. Time and space came into existence when the universe began to expand from this initial state.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The fact that you're even thinking about time, space, matter and existence means you are scientifically minded. :-)

You're right that to understand the big bang requires a little more in-depth knowledge of physics. In fact, it follows directly from the theory of general relativity which was Einstein's well-known discovery a century ago.

Many discoveries in science are counter-inuitive to normal experience. For example, a star of great mass can collapse to form what's called a gravitational singularity. This is known as a black hole. It has zero volume, infinite density and infinite spacetime curvature. What this means is that time and space do not exist inside a black hole.

Similarly, our entire universe was essentially like a black hole at the moment of the big bang. Time and space came into existence when the universe began to expand from this initial state.
How does the big bang theory explain the 8 of the 40 so moons rotating backwards? It defies the "theory of angular momentum". Any attempt to explain it falls on faith, not science.

Genesis 1:1 explains the origin of time, space, and matter pretty good. While it is taken on faith, it requires less faith than believing in the big bang models IMO.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I haven't been on here in a long time, but the first thing I read was this thread this morning. You've been on heart all day and I've been praying for you and will continue to pray for you.

Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I have a question Ilene. Was your faith based on the Bible or your relationship with God?

I ask this as an Evangelical Christian. I have seen more than one person reject God's existence, because they perceived problems with what was in the Bible.
I guess it was more based on the Bible because I never felt what I needed to feel or how I think I should have felt spiritually....I really never felt a connection to a God. Not how some people describe it anyway. I had what I thought were visions sometimes but I now realize it was just all in my mind, maybe trying a little too hard to feel connected. However, I did feel something in relation to Christ, probably because I felt so bad about what supposedly happened to him and I truly loved his wisdom and teachings.

Any suggestions as to what I should do about all this? I said that I was going to try a UU fellowship but it may take me a few weeks to actually get up the nerve to go because I'll have to go alone. How do you experience your God?

Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I guess it was more based on the Bible because I never felt what I needed to feel or how I think I should have felt spiritually....I really never felt a connection to a God. Not how some people describe it anyway. I had what I thought were visions sometimes but I now realize it was just all in my mind, maybe trying a little too hard to feel connected. However, I did feel something in relation to Christ, probably because I felt so bad about what supposedly happened to him and I truly loved his wisdom and teachings.

Any suggestions as to what I should do about all this? I said that I was going to try a UU fellowship but it may take me a few weeks to actually get up the nerve to go because I'll have to go alone. How do you experience your God?
Where you go to service is extremely important. If it's not led by the Spirit it will be perceived as just another religious social gathering. Generally speaking small churches seem to be led more by the Holy Spirit as opposed to the mega churches.

Another thing, I've realized in my short stint as a Christian the blinding effect of sin. It's a dangerous slippery slope leading to separation from God. The ugly S I N word nobody likes to see but it's true. It has a hardening effect on the heart. I feel much closer to God when I am overcoming sin by the Spirit.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,419 times
Ilene Wright

A relationship with GOD, based on the Bible is a flawed relationship, because of the less than perfect translations from one language to another. (There are flawed translations in the New Testament, which has only existed for 2000+ years and we can trace it to it's origin. The Old Testament is much older and been translated many more times.) But, I can tell you that GOD is very real. Have you ever bought a powerball ticket? What are your odds of winning?

Take a look at Exodus. The signs/plagues on Egypt were all natural events, and the fact that they happened are backed up by Archaeology. (We also have the wrong Mt Sinai, as discovered by Archaeology) The river running red like blood, and the water poisoned really did happen. Core samples from the silt at the bottom shows that volcanic chemicals spewed into the water from a volcanic vent. Very highly toxic. Not the only time it happened either. I don't remember where, but it happened again in the last 50 years. The "death of Egypt's first-born" was another natural event. Perhaps the same volcanic vent, but this time, spewing out carbon dioxide. It's heavier than air, and hugs the ground. Egypt's first-born slept in a place of honor on the ground floor, while the rest of the kids slept on the roof. The parting of the waters was actually a geological event. The sea floor was thrust up above water level and the Hebrews crossed on a land-bridge. When the Egyptian army was pursuing them, another geological event put the floor back down to it's current level. Remember reading how a wall of water washed over the Egyptian army? A tsunami. Think of Japan.

I can't introduce you to GOD so you can shake his hand. But just like the odds against winning the powerball, what are the odds of seven or eight "purely natural events" happening right on cue, each with more precise timing than the one before? And, who is capable of controlling those events to make them happen exactly on time?

A relationship with the Bible can not exist without GOD. But, a relationship with GOD can exist without the Bible. The Bible did not come into being until after the ancient Hebrews, circa 1200-1800 BC. But there are records of GOD that date back to 5000 BC. And, it's amazing how much of the Old Testament was actually copied from those older texts. But, not true copies. The first known errors in translation. Even flawed, the Bible is the most readily available information we have to help us to know GOD. Some portions of the older texts are missing, and not all have been fully translated yet.

Don't know if this is any help for you or not. I'm not a religious zealot. I have more than a passing interest in Archaeology and Anthropology, and I have found more than enough to make me believe that GOD is very real. I also found that we do not know him nearly as well as we would like to believe we do.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:

Well, God works in different ways with each person. So I can only speak for myself. Seems like God is knocking on you door. So open it and say Hi. Invite Him in.

If it were me, I would seek God as a friend who is interested in you as a person. Take time to chat and listen. I like to walk and pray. In a woodsy place. I talk and listen. That still small voice. Perhaps you prefer a quiet room.

For now I would say, forget the Bible. Just seek God. Truth be told it's not about the Bible. It's about God. Honestly, if I discovered that the Bible was bunk, I would still not doubt the existence of God, but of course I'd have questions about the Bible.

My wife, raised as a hard nosed Baptist said it was all about the Father, Son and Holy Bible. Now as a Pentecostal, she says it's all about the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. My view and practice.

Now don't get me wrong. I view the Bible as true, but I do wonder about some parts. But Hey, what matters is my relationship with God. I don't have to have all the answers and most of the weird stuff becomes understandable as one educates one's self.

So, seek God and Him only. I wish you the best on your path. Your doubts could well be a door to real relationship with the creator of all!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Ilene Wright

A relationship with GOD, based on the Bible is a flawed relationship, because of the less than perfect translations from one language to another. (There are flawed translations in the New Testament, which has only existed for 2000+ years and we can trace it to it's origin. The Old Testament is much older and been translated many more times.) But, I can tell you that GOD is very real. Have you ever bought a powerball ticket? What are your odds of winning?
Sure their are less than perfect translations because Man has added copyright laws to God's Word. One can print the 1611 KJV version out; however, and compare it to the Authorized King James Version. It is nearly identical albeit spelling errors. All this can be compared to the Textus Receptus, Septuagint, and authenticated by the Dead Sea Scrolls.

It's easy to look at the Scriptures from the perspective of a skeptic, but all one needs to do is delve into it with an open mind to see the integration of the text. Contrary to popular belief, the Scriptures can be proved by demonstrating the integrated design of the text.

Look up Chuck Missler "Cosmic Codes".

Quote:
Take a look at Exodus. The signs/plagues on Egypt were all natural events, and the fact that they happened are backed up by Archaeology. (We also have the wrong Mt Sinai, as discovered by Archaeology) The river running red like blood, and the water poisoned really did happen. Core samples from the silt at the bottom shows that volcanic chemicals spewed into the water from a volcanic vent. Very highly toxic. Not the only time it happened either. I don't remember where, but it happened again in the last 50 years. The "death of Egypt's first-born" was another natural event. Perhaps the same volcanic vent, but this time, spewing out carbon dioxide. It's heavier than air, and hugs the ground. Egypt's first-born slept in a place of honor on the ground floor, while the rest of the kids slept on the roof. The parting of the waters was actually a geological event. The sea floor was thrust up above water level and the Hebrews crossed on a land-bridge. When the Egyptian army was pursuing them, another geological event put the floor back down to it's current level. Remember reading how a wall of water washed over the Egyptian army? A tsunami. Think of Japan.

I can't introduce you to GOD so you can shake his hand. But just like the odds against winning the powerball, what are the odds of seven or eight "purely natural events" happening right on cue, each with more precise timing than the one before? And, who is capable of controlling those events to make them happen exactly on time?

A relationship with the Bible can not exist without GOD. But, a relationship with GOD can exist without the Bible. The Bible did not come into being until after the ancient Hebrews, circa 1200-1800 BC. But there are records of GOD that date back to 5000 BC. And, it's amazing how much of the Old Testament was actually copied from those older texts. But, not true copies. The first known errors in translation. Even flawed, the Bible is the most readily available information we have to help us to know GOD. Some portions of the older texts are missing, and not all have been fully translated yet.

Don't know if this is any help for you or not. I'm not a religious zealot. I have more than a passing interest in Archaeology and Anthropology, and I have found more than enough to make me believe that GOD is very real. I also found that we do not know him nearly as well as we would like to believe we do.
The Bible points to one man - Messiah - the sole Redeemer of a fallen the human race. Authenticate the validity of the Messiah through Jesus fulfilling the 300+ prophecies in his first coming than realize he has authenticated the Scriptures as the "Word of God". The central message throughout Scripture is if we do not have Messiah we do not have a relationship with God. Messiah authenticates the Scripture.

Sure we can pull out dates, but man's dating methods are not infallible. Concerning Archeology/Anthropology, there are always two opinions. There is plenty of evidence supporting the Biblical account. Check out "Bob Cornuke Mount Sinai".

So a relationship with God can not be with out the Messiah. A title of Messiah is the "Word of God"/Word (John 1). He authenticated the Scriptures as the "Word of God". He says those that are God's are those that hear the Word and do it. How can we do the Word if we don't know what it says?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity