Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedlydee View Post
How easy it is to misunderstand what a person really means.
Don't worry about it. Go to the ocean sometime and you'll know what I really meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 10:04 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
That's what I was thinking too about UU, no particular religion but support and hopefully caring, decent people. They're out there, I know they are but I've been looking in the wrong places I guess.

It may take me a while to be able and willing to attend this UU fellowship, I'm scared to death of getting myself involved in another mess. I need to go to a seminar or something to teach me how to say NO.
Tomorrow is Sunday, Ilene. I know you are afraid of being disappointed and hurt, but try to make over to the UU church. Wouldn't you rather find out sooner than later that particular congregation is not for you?
You may find the support you are looking for, or may find more unwanted drama. There is only one way to find out.

Don't let your fears slow you down.

Do something you are afraid of every day.

-Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,566 times
Quote:
It may take me a while to be able and willing to attend this UU fellowship, I'm scared to death of getting myself involved in another mess. I need to go to a seminar or something to teach me how to say NO.
Ilene,
Remember that you can visit without getting involved. UU's are mostly made up of "refugees" from other religions. Many feel like they got burned by very dogmatic churches and come to the UU looking for peace and support. You could attend forever and never join, and that would be fine.

I bet the UU near you has a website you could visit to get acquainted with the people, the building, and they may even tell you the topic of tomorrow's service. You can go to this site: UUA: Find a Congregation to find the website of the congregation near you. To learn more about UU's in general, you can look at the main webpage: UUA: Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations

Old 05-05-2012, 11:06 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I have a question Ilene. Was your faith based on the Bible or your relationship with God?

I ask this as an Evangelical Christian. I have seen more than one person reject God's existence, because they perceived problems with what was in the Bible.
Good point. It's not as if people who do not have access to a bible cannot believe on Christ when they hear the gospel. If I was told I had to believe everything men think the bible means in order to be "right with God", I'd never get there. But I know what an absurdity such a requirement is. Thank God!

Old 05-05-2012, 02:36 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Good point. It's not as if people who do not have access to a bible cannot believe on Christ when they hear the gospel. If I was told I had to believe everything men think the bible means in order to be "right with God", I'd never get there. But I know what an absurdity such a requirement is. Thank God!
Your post reminded me that my faith wasn't always based on the Bible......during my short time as a Universalist, I rejected much of the fundamentalist interpretations of it that I had grown up with and I still maintained my faith. I'm not really certain how or when I lost it, it's all kind of jumbled up now. It all started when I was questioning ET, and it went downhill from there. Not to say that Universalism had anything to do with it, it didn't. If I were to regain my faith that's what I would be, a Universalist. I believe that if there is a God, he would be like the Universalists believe him to be, not a sadistic, murderous monster who tortures people for eternity.

It's kind of maddening that I can't believe in it any longer, because I really want to. I guess the logical, critical thinking side of my brain kicked in and ALL of it seemed way too fairy tale-ish and made up, even a god. I started to think back, way back, to childhood and some of the things that I thought were "spiritual" or god-given were fabricated in my little mind, and very much explained away by circumstance and coincidence, and an over-active imagination. Right up to just a couple years ago when I thought I was having visions. I was trying so hard to "feel" something that I started to invent things and I truly believed them.

I'll be in a much better place after I clean up and clear out certain things and people that have been dragging me down, and then I'm off to the UU fellowship to check it out. Wish you were here, Heartsong, so that you could go with me! Meanwhile, I'll be checking out the links that Sizzly Friddle provided and maybe I can find out more about it.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:01 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
Quote:
Thanks Arequipa, I'm definitely not going to be able to be a believer again, that's just not possible. I may have gone to bible study but it was more to be around decent people and get out of the house. That's what I was thinking too about UU, no particular religion but support and hopefully caring, decent people. They're out there, I know they are but I've been looking in the wrong places I guess. For now, I'm staying close to family and old friends and concentrating on cleaning up this mess that I'm in.

It's getting better, but I've had to cut myself off from every single person and thing that had a hand in this disaster. My phones have been ringing off the hook but I haven't answered, I may even have to change my phone numbers, that's how bad it is. I've got to start over, wish I could move and disappear but that's just not possible. Actually, I had to put a note on my door last night saying that I was sleeping and to leave me alone. It may take me a while to be able and willing to attend this UU fellowship, I'm scared to death of getting myself involved in another mess. I need to go to a seminar or something to teach me how to say NO.

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it and no worries, I'm pretty darn sure that there's just no going back to religion for me, I'm an agnostic now. After you've seen the unreliability of and the contradictions in the bible and realize there is absolutely no evidence to prove it or it's claims and no evidence for a god, then I just don't see how anyone could return to that. You can't make yourself have faith in nothing. Well, off to work I go, have a great day everyone!
Good luck with everything... but if you are an agnostic because of the bible contradictions and its clash with your conscious, does that mean you would be willing to accept another religion?

I was also wondering why you aren't being left alone? is it because of the visions? Or something more secular?

As a warrior princes, I don't see why you don't get stern and handle the situation. I know there might be some troubles, especially with fundamentalists wanted to shun you or hurt you if you reveal your current ideas. But if its just people trying to make you join them, just stomp your foot harder and tell them about your deep heartfelt desire not to join them. Only you know what is the correct way to comport yourself of course, and you know most about the situation.

So again I repeat,
Good luck and conquer.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
Your post reminded me that my faith wasn't always based on the Bible......during my short time as a Universalist, I rejected much of the fundamentalist interpretations of it that I had grown up with and I still maintained my faith. I'm not really certain how or when I lost it, it's all kind of jumbled up now. It all started when I was questioning ET, and it went downhill from there. Not to say that Universalism had anything to do with it, it didn't. If I were to regain my faith that's what I would be, a Universalist. I believe that if there is a God, he would be like the Universalists believe him to be, not a sadistic, murderous monster who tortures people for eternity.

It's kind of maddening that I can't believe in it any longer, because I really want to. I guess the logical, critical thinking side of my brain kicked in and ALL of it seemed way too fairy tale-ish and made up, even a god. I started to think back, way back, to childhood and some of the things that I thought were "spiritual" or god-given were fabricated in my little mind, and very much explained away by circumstance and coincidence, and an over-active imagination. Right up to just a couple years ago when I thought I was having visions. I was trying so hard to "feel" something that I started to invent things and I truly believed them.

I'll be in a much better place after I clean up and clear out certain things and people that have been dragging me down, and then I'm off to the UU fellowship to check it out. Wish you were here, Heartsong, so that you could go with me! Meanwhile, I'll be checking out the links that Sizzly Friddle provided and maybe I can find out more about it.
Ilene you will return to faith. From what I can see from what you are saying is,that you are being honest with yourself, which is a good thing, because He desires truth in the inward parts. It is not a question of whether ET or UR is correct,but discovering God's heart towards yourself and going on from there.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:20 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"I lost my shoes in the mud, therefore, I will go barefoot."

No expectations.
I, a running sloth, often go barefoot in the trees.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Good luck with everything... but if you are an agnostic because of the bible contradictions and its clash with your conscious, does that mean you would be willing to accept another religion?

I was also wondering why you aren't being left alone? is it because of the visions? Or something more secular?

As a warrior princes, I don't see why you don't get stern and handle the situation. I know there might be some troubles, especially with fundamentalists wanted to shun you or hurt you if you reveal your current ideas. But if its just people trying to make you join them, just stomp your foot harder and tell them about your deep heartfelt desire not to join them. Only you know what is the correct way to comport yourself of course, and you know most about the situation.

So again I repeat,
Good luck and conquer.
Thanks Luminous, I appreciate that. Actually the problems that I'm having have nothing to do with religion at all, quite the opposite. I seem to attract leaches and low-lifes, ones that really know how to hide it until the damage is already done. I have put my foot down but these people are relentless and evidently have bricks in their heads instead of brains. But, as time goes by they will give up if I don't respond. Am I that fantastic of a person that they just can't live without me? YES! Nah, but I am very generous to a fault, so much so that I would give my last dime if I thought someone needed it that badly. But these days you can't be like that and not be taken advantage of so it's come to a screeching halt. I've neglected my own responsibilities for too long and now I've got to play catch up and regain my health, both physically and mentally.

And no, I don't want to be a part of ANY religion, Christianity or otherwise and that's why I thought that going to a UU fellowship would be good for me and maybe introduce me to the right kind of people, self-sufficient, hard working individuals who don't want anything from me except my friendship. But I'll be very cautious and leery, keeping everyone at arm's length until I do a background check or something. It's my own fault for being too trusting and wanting to see the good in everyone so I have to change that and surround myself with people like ME, not the opposite of me. Sometimes it's impossible to see when someone is evil, it takes time but they usually show their true colors eventually and I did not take enough time to feel them out.

The warrior princess is back, she just went on vacation for a while I guess but the ***** is back and she ain't taking it no more! I'll be dealing with court dates and a lot of other things so this is going to be a long process but there WILL be jail time coming for someone. I'm sure they thought I wouldn't take it this far but they don't know who they are dealing with. Ok, you didn't ask for all this so I'll stop now. I'm focusing on myself, my son, my cat and dog and my house and that's plenty to keep me busy until I find the gumption to be willing to try and trust people again. It may take a while. This religion thing and my confusion about that will have to take a back seat, somehow I'll have to push it out of my head until I have time to deal with it.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Ilene you will return to faith. From what I can see from what you are saying is,that you are being honest with yourself, which is a good thing, because He desires truth in the inward parts. It is not a question of whether ET or UR is correct,but discovering God's heart towards yourself and going on from there.
I hope you're right P, I hope you're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity