Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:07 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
KJV doesn't need copyright...

The apocryphal books that once were part of the KJV are just spelling errors?

The adventures of Batman can also be compared to those manuscripts.
The real questions are:
- How well does it compare? Answer: Very badly.
- What's the quality of the manuscripts KJV used? Answer: Low quality.

The problems with the KJV are:
- The translators had far less manuscripts than scholars have today.
- The manuscripts they had are of proven low quality.
- It's a biased translation for a certain demonination.
- They lacked understanding of over a thousand of words. Because of that their scholarship is sub-standard compared to todays scholarship.

I fully understand the above is not what you want to read.
Your aim isn't finding the truth.
Your only desire is holding on to your personal truth.
Only people with real faith have the guts to be as the Bereans and verify everything they know.
Find someone that knows Hebrew and Greek and have them go through the KJV with you. Than YOU will find TRUTH.

The Old Testament is based on the Masoretic text. The New Testament quotes are from the LXX Septuagint of the text. It is nearly IDENTICAL.

People reading can either take this guy or my word for it, or they can seek the TRUTH.

The Alexandrian Codices took OUT much of what was in the original, mostly concerning the DEITY of Messiah.

See in Greek mythology Jesus is just one of many "gods" that became "enlightened." This is of course what we see today in our wonderful corrupt NIV and other modern versions. If they can DETHRONE the Messiah than they've accomplished their goal.

The only way people will come to the truth is to seek it for themselves. Neither mine nor Whitewings testimony should draw someone to a final conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
A good example is the verb "if".
I agree with much of what you've said, but "if" is never a verb.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:35 PM

111 posts, read 179,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Actually the mountain I speak about is real it is where Ilene's journey out of fundamentalism began.

I also have a mountain, lots of mountains where I live, that I go to where it is peaceful, beautiful and where I feel so connected with Him. there is nothing to pull my attention from meditating on Him, no houses, no traffic and the only noise is the beautiful sounds of nature and the still small voice within me.
Thank you Miss Blue. I understand what you're saying.

The sketch in the link I posted shows the summit of the highest mountain that can be reached by a (human) soul in its personal, spiritual climb towards the summit, which has as its aim the ultimate destination: God alone.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have the ocean. God's there, too.
Agreed. He is an Ocean of Mercy and Love.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I agree with much of what you've said, but "if" is never a verb.
My apologies, but there are four condition particles for the preposition "If".

Thank you for the correction.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,312 times
Wow so many responses since yesterday that I can't respond to all of them but I would like say to all of you who participated that I really appreciate it and your posts, I've read them all and given all careful consideration.

Miss Blue is probably right, I need to revisit the mountain I went to probably two years ago now....it was an awesome experience watching the weather change dramatically and witnessing the beauty of the surrounding mountains and the little outdoor chapel where I was sitting, taking it all in. I started a thread about it. If nothing else, maybe I can regain some peace.

At the time I went to the mountain I still believed in God, but I was seriously questioning eternal torment and trying to make some sense of a lot of things. I don't really think it would restore my faith but it sure was something to behold and I felt so much better afterwards. I'll settle for that right now.

Thanks again for your responses, there's some really fine folks here at C-D.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:10 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedlydee View Post
Agreed. He is an Ocean of Mercy and Love.
I was actually referring to the big watery thing with the waves and shells.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was actually referring to the big watery thing with the waves and shells.
How easy it is to misunderstand what a person really means.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:36 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Wow so many responses since yesterday that I can't respond to all of them but I would like say to all of you who participated that I really appreciate it and your posts, I've read them all and given all careful consideration.

Miss Blue is probably right, I need to revisit the mountain I went to probably two years ago now....it was an awesome experience watching the weather change dramatically and witnessing the beauty of the surrounding mountains and the little outdoor chapel where I was sitting, taking it all in. I started a thread about it. If nothing else, maybe I can regain some peace.

At the time I went to the mountain I still believed in God, but I was seriously questioning eternal torment and trying to make some sense of a lot of things. I don't really think it would restore my faith but it sure was something to behold and I felt so much better afterwards. I'll settle for that right now.

Thanks again for your responses, there's some really fine folks here at C-D.
I'm sorry that I didn't come here looking for you, but then maybe the last thing you need is some atheist pointing out efforts to brainwash you back into faith. You will see those yourself and, once you have seen the flaws in the bible, you can't gloss over them any more.

I did note that you mentioned the Big bang and doubts about cosmic origins. That is a very powerful argument for God (or 'god' at least) and belief in a creator -'god' - without any particular religion is perhaps what would help you at this time. You might find that at a UU church.

Don't be a stranger. let us know how it's going.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:18 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'm sorry that I didn't come here looking for you, but then maybe the last thing you need is some atheist pointing out efforts to brainwash you back into faith. You will see those yourself and, once you have seen the flaws in the bible, you can't gloss over them any more.

I did note that you mentioned the Big bang and doubts about cosmic origins. That is a very powerful argument for God (or 'god' at least) and belief in a creator -'god' - without any particular religion is perhaps what would help you at this time. You might find that at a UU church.

Don't be a stranger. let us know how it's going.
Thanks Arequipa, I'm definitely not going to be able to be a believer again, that's just not possible. I may have gone to bible study but it was more to be around decent people and get out of the house. That's what I was thinking too about UU, no particular religion but support and hopefully caring, decent people. They're out there, I know they are but I've been looking in the wrong places I guess. For now, I'm staying close to family and old friends and concentrating on cleaning up this mess that I'm in.

It's getting better, but I've had to cut myself off from every single person and thing that had a hand in this disaster. My phones have been ringing off the hook but I haven't answered, I may even have to change my phone numbers, that's how bad it is. I've got to start over, wish I could move and disappear but that's just not possible. Actually, I had to put a note on my door last night saying that I was sleeping and to leave me alone. It may take me a while to be able and willing to attend this UU fellowship, I'm scared to death of getting myself involved in another mess. I need to go to a seminar or something to teach me how to say NO.

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it and no worries, I'm pretty darn sure that there's just no going back to religion for me, I'm an agnostic now. After you've seen the unreliability of and the contradictions in the bible and realize there is absolutely no evidence to prove it or it's claims and no evidence for a god, then I just don't see how anyone could return to that. You can't make yourself have faith in nothing. Well, off to work I go, have a great day everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity