Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times

Advertisements

"I lost my shoes in the mud, therefore, I will go barefoot."

No expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,505,098 times
Ilene,

Go to the mountain....I bet you will find Him there.

Love you old friend, no matter what happens..

Old 05-02-2012, 11:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I guess it was more based on the Bible because I never felt what I needed to feel or how I think I should have felt spiritually....I really never felt a connection to a God. Not how some people describe it anyway. I had what I thought were visions sometimes but I now realize it was just all in my mind, maybe trying a little too hard to feel connected. However, I did feel something in relation to Christ, probably because I felt so bad about what supposedly happened to him and I truly loved his wisdom and teachings.

Any suggestions as to what I should do about all this? I said that I was going to try a UU fellowship but it may take me a few weeks to actually get up the nerve to go because I'll have to go alone. How do you experience your God?
Have you read the Bhagavad Gita? It says that if you concentrate well enough on the supreme personality of Godhead, Krishna, you will attain a personal relationship and He will sustain you... actually I'll just quote:
Quote:
When your mind is no longer disturbed by the flowery language of the Vedas (scriptures), and when it remains fixed in the trance of self-realization, then you will have attained the divine consciousness
~ B.G. 2.53
Krishna is very similar to Jesus, but I was just thinking that perhaps you should read the wikipedia on Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin, they might have felt similar to how you feel.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 AM

111 posts, read 179,752 times
Ilene, Have you ever heard of the Dark Night of the Soul? I started to describe this condition which can happen in one's spiritual life, but got lost in details. Therefore, I like to direct you to this link:

Dark Night of the Soul

which is a very good description of what you might be experiencing. One note: The article uses the word "consciousness," which at times I understand that to mean "God."

Then there is the wellknown classic and treatise from the 16th century titled Dark Night of the Soul by the mystic John of the Cross. His writing on the subject might be harder to understand, unless through your own spiritual experiences you are able to grasp what he is saying. John of the Cross went through an agonizing and profound Dark Night.

Dark Night of the Soul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-03-2012, 02:52 AM

111 posts, read 179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Ilene,

Go to the mountain....I bet you will find Him there.

Love you old friend, no matter what happens..
Is this the mountain you have in mind, Miss Blue?

ICS Publications

Old 05-03-2012, 03:36 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Sure their are less than perfect translations because Man has added copyright laws to God's Word.

Sure we can pull out dates, but man's dating methods are not infallible.
The 1611 version is not infallible too, they just didn't have copyrighting in good ole days back then.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:30 AM

376 posts, read 419,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Sure their are less than perfect translations because Man has added copyright laws to God's Word.
KJV doesn't need copyright...

Quote:
One can print the 1611 KJV version out; however, and compare it to the Authorized King James Version. It is nearly identical albeit spelling errors.
The apocryphal books that once were part of the KJV are just spelling errors?

Quote:
All this can be compared to the Textus Receptus, Septuagint, and authenticated by the Dead Sea Scrolls.
The adventures of Batman can also be compared to those manuscripts.
The real questions are:
- How well does it compare? Answer: Very badly.
- What's the quality of the manuscripts KJV used? Answer: Low quality.

The problems with the KJV are:
- The translators had far less manuscripts than scholars have today.
- The manuscripts they had are of proven low quality.
- It's a biased translation for a certain demonination.
- They lacked understanding of over a thousand of words. Because of that their scholarship is sub-standard compared to todays scholarship.

I fully understand the above is not what you want to read.
Your aim isn't finding the truth.
Your only desire is holding on to your personal truth.
Only people with real faith have the guts to be as the Bereans and verify everything they know.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,505,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedlydee View Post
Is this the mountain you have in mind, Miss Blue?

ICS Publications
Actually the mountain I speak about is real it is where Ilene's journey out of fundamentalism began.

I also have a mountain, lots of mountains where I live, that I go to where it is peaceful, beautiful and where I feel so connected with Him. there is nothing to pull my attention from meditating on Him, no houses, no traffic and the only noise is the beautiful sounds of nature and the still small voice within me.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 AM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Actually the mountain I speak about is real it is where Ilene's journey out of fundamentalism began.

I also have a mountain, lots of mountains where I live, that I go to where it is peaceful, beautiful and where I feel so connected with Him. there is nothing to pull my attention from meditating on Him, no houses, no traffic and the only noise is the beautiful sounds of nature and the still small voice within me.
I have the ocean. God's there, too.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The 1611 version is not infallible too, they just didn't have copyrighting in good ole days back then.
It's as close as you will get to the original text in the English. The problem with the English language is that it is not as specific as Greek. So well intentioned Scribes had to do the best with what they had.

A good example is the verb "if". It has 4 conditions, and depending on the context of the verse it could be significant.

for example..

"If ye are led by the Spirit, ye are not under the Law" Galatians 5

The "If" is first conditional particle. If it is true, than it can be translated "since".

You're right about copywrite laws messing it up. You can go to the 1611 version and compare it to the Authorized KJV version and find it nearly identical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity