Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Pokemon appropriate for kids?
Good 56 80.00%
Bad 14 20.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:50 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,459 times

Advertisements

At my six-year-old son's birthday party, one of his friends gave him Pokemon trading cards as a gift. I don't know much about Pokemon but have the feeling it is not right for a young man of God. We talk about choices and decisions and do they honor God or not. While not every decision or choice goes through that process, Pokemon definitely will.

I've researched the Internet a bit and found some concerning information (on Wikipedia) and thought I'd ask in this forum and get your thoughts.
  • What do you know about Pokemon?
  • If it's OK, why?
  • If it's bad, why?
I promised my son I'd do my research before giving him the decision on whether he is allowed to keep the cards.

Last edited by Hoosier; 01-21-2009 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 08:52 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,276 times
Its just a game, you can battle with them, or you can just collect them, thats what most kids do. If you don't find baseball cards evil, I don't see how this is evil. To me, there harmless. Maybe a money pit if the kid really starts buying and collecting the cards. But certainly not evil.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:58 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,376,254 times
I applaud you Hoosier for being a concerned parent. There is so much seemingly innocent stuff out there that kids are bombarded with everyday. Do your research and God will give the answer, maybe you already have the answer, if you are questioning it.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:10 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,666 times
Hitler.. was evil.

Pokemon is not evil.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:11 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,061,911 times
I remember hearing a news story several years ago about children in Japan going into seizures while watching it on tv because of the visual graphics. I don't remember all the details, though.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
I remember hearing a news story several years ago about children in Japan going into seizures while watching it on tv because of the visual graphics. I don't remember all the details, though.
Thats really any video game or tv program that has bright colors flashing quickly on the screen. I think it is specifically with red and green colors. I don't know why that sticks out.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,015 times
I would think that a couple of cards with pictures of fake animals would be alright. Now, if we are talking about the games and the shows, there are hints of Buddhism *such as ghosts not having legs for the most part* beliefs but not so badly that it is thrown in your face. More or less, I think those references just come from the societal views and acceptance of certain ideals - like in some games how you go to the church to heal your party (Final Fantasy 1, for instance).

If anything, the cards help in the process of learning the value of sharing (trading cards for instance). If he were to use them to "battle" a friend, he would learn the value of believing in one's self, perseverance (not giving up when things go downhill), and patience. There's also nothing wrong, in my eyes, about a little friendly competition every now and then.

Now, for the concern part... are we speaking about the "evolution" that goes on with the little monsters? If so, I don't think that there should be any cause for alarm. For instance, one pokemon is called a Caterpie - a caterpillar like creature. It's "evolution" is called Metapod, a cocoon type creature. Finally, it evolves into Butterfree, a butterfly pokemon. Does not the idea of changing from a caterpillar to a butterfly not exist in nature? Another instance would be Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, and Venasaur - which the differences involve growth in size and the blooming of a flower, both of which occur in nature.

Now, the "evolution", or so it has been translated to, is most likely not dealing with actual evolution in the sense of genetics and such, but rather transitions through one's life. We start out small (there's even Baby Pokemon) and we grow larger and change. Our noses get bigger, muscle development changes, melatonin changes, etc, etc. And this is how Pokemon "Evolution" is.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-21-2009 at 09:32 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Interesting that you mention that. I read about the seizures on Wikipedia. More than 635 Japanese children were admitted to the hospital for epileptic seizures. It was due to the bright explosions with rapidly alternating red and blue patterns. It was called the Electric Soldier Porygon...they have not aired it since the seizures occurred.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Interesting that you mention that. I read about the seizures on Wikipedia. More than 635 Japanese children were admitted to the hospital for epileptic seizures. It was due to the bright explosions with rapidly alternating red and blue patterns. It was called the Electric Soldier Porygon...they have not aired it since the seizures occurred.
Yeah but most modern video games warn that they can cause seizures to certain people.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:36 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Yes. That did occur. It would also happen when any TV show has massively strobing lights of red/blue or red/green. That is why TV's when you buy them have that warning. That is why video games have that warning. The incident was a freak accident that could have happened to any TV show. Out of curiosity, I have watched the episode in question. However, somebody overlayed the red with another color to make it "safe".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity