Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 02:42 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,735,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I believe CL referenced the verse, "truthfully I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise" or "truthfully I tell you today, you you will be with me in paradise"...And it is "PHAT" not "fat"...
Oops, I'm too fat, but I guess I'm not phat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 02:46 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,230,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
On the contrary, I have been trying to show you how your "programs" distort what the Bible does say. Then we should be able to reach agreement. Nobody seems to be willing to surrender their personal agendas.
Yet, when push comes to shove, you routinely go away from what the Bible actually says.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:47 PM

452 posts, read 710,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Actually he spoke slang, Ebonics, and a Spanglish combination. But the people heard it in Aramaic.
Lol, actually, Aramaic IS a combination of languages like spanglish but, ebonics (like jive) didn't exist at that time. It was a common language spoken by peoples of several areas so they could communicate.

I'd have to check to see what the peoples of spain spoke at that time. (not necessarily spanish, idk how old that language is.)

Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM

28,133 posts, read 30,052,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_Plus_Nothing View Post
No other book on earth can be so proven correct as the Bible can.
And which translation are you referring to?

Old 08-14-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And which translation are you referring to?
The original Greek and Hebrew.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
Deuteronomy 4:2 “You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take anything from itâ€

Revelation 22:18-19 "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this Book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this Book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the Book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the Book of Life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this Book".
And yet a lot of things were added to God's word after Deuteronomy was written and you don't have much of a problem with that fact.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The original Greek and Hebrew.
And where are those original documents today? (Incidentally, I have no doubt but that the original Greek and Hebrew were God's word. That's not what the OP was saying, though. The pastor mentioned in the OP used the words, "your Bible," not "the original Greek and Hebrew.")

Old 08-14-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And where are those original documents today? (Incidentally, I have no doubt but that the original Greek and Hebrew were God's word. That's not what the OP was saying, though.)
Modern translations are based off of those texts. We do not have those texts--but we have enough copies of them that we can reasonable make the guestimate that what we have is 99.9% pure. There is no doubt about any major doctrine due to textual analysis.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:57 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,735,184 times
Default Well, yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_Plus_Nothing View Post
The wonderful thing about the Bible is that now we have so many manuscripts and translations from thousands of years ago that we know we have it the same today. Since the books of the bible were copied so much and so often had an error crept in it would have stood out like a sore thumb. God is amazing and He has amazingly kept His word intact. No other book on earth can be so proven correct as the Bible can.
The "yes" to your statement is that of those 400,000 "errors" or "differences" in the texts, the vast, vast majority are relatively minor.

The "no" to your statement is that we have absolutely nothing but FAITH on which to rely regarding the original manuscripts, since none exist.

And if there are 12 verses from the book of Mark missing from some texts but present in others, that appears to me to be fairly significant. So for anyone to claim verses 9-20 of Mark 16 are "breathed" by God would appear to be fairly arrogant, or at least lacking in the knowledge that most changes to literature result from "added" material that was not extant in the original.

So I could not criticize anyone who said 9-20 are not a part of Mark's gospel. Because the fact is, we do not know for certain. I can take it on faith that it is, but that is a far different proposition from declaring "all scripture is given from God" when we have no certainty that we don't have biblical scripture with "additions" placed by early Christians to insure their own views were passed on to others.

And that's why I must approach the scripture as a practice of faith as opposed to a knowledgeable certainty that draws hard lines in the theological sand. Further one must see how every verse, chapter, and book, fits in with all the others in order to draw a spiritual connection through them. Of the NT literature, the book of Hebrews stands out as newer than all other manuscripts and thus may have a great deal of insertion of later theological beliefs than earlier manuscripts of the other epistles and the gospels.

For some such a thought is disturbing, for me it is simply interesting as I try to discover how to more closely walk with God.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 08-14-2013 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-14-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Modern translations are based off of those texts.
Modern translations are based off of the texts we actually have, none of which are originals.

Quote:
We do not have those texts--but we have enough copies of them that we can reasonable make the guestimate that what we have is 99.9% pure.
Not sure where you got the 99.9% bit, but you are absolute right about one thing -- we're just "guestimating." And "purity" aside, we cannot even begin to guestimate how "complete" a record today's Bibles are. John even pointed out that if all of Jesus words had been recorded, they'd more than fill all of the books in the world. So we have a 99.9% pure (hopefully) record of how much truth in total? And do you have any idea whatsoever how much the Christian canon has changed over the years? Books now considered authoritative and inspired were once excluded, and visa versa. If that doesn't get you started thinking about the subject of biblical inerrancy, I suspect nothing will.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-14-2013 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity