Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 02:53 PM

341 posts, read 688,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Yes, Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever referring to His love and His ways not His law.
How do you arrive at that conclusion? Hebrews 13:8 says, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." and there is a period at the end of the sentence, not a comma.

What does Hebrews 10:7 have to do with this issue?

That said, do you use multiple cups for communion? If so, where do you find Scriptural authorization for that - because it certainly isn't what Jesus commanded at the Last Supper? And what about communion trays and a communion table? And please don't say that those things have absolute nothing to do with worship, because communion is at the epicenter of worship.

And what about hymnals? Are they not an "artificial aid" that is an addition to Scripture?

Every denomination has a tendency to pick and choose what we obsess over. Nobody is immune from that very human problem. It just seems to me that the non-instrumental churches of Christ have often lost sight of grace, due to an obsession with proving that instruments are banned from the Church.
If Jesus were the same yesterday today and forever in the way your using it we would still be sacrificing animals.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:44 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
If Jesus were the same yesterday today and forever in the way your using it we would still be sacrificing animals.
Well... Is he or isn't he? And please use Scripture to justify either answer.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:02 PM

241 posts, read 379,230 times
[quote=Omaha Rocks;8556436]I fully agree that there is nothing wrong with non-instrumental music. I'll even go so far as to say that there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with non-instrumental music - provided that it, like all other music in worship, is done for the right reasons and "in spirit and in truth."[/quote
You have said some things that I never really thought about but I will do more research on this subject.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 PM

241 posts, read 379,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
The Church of Christ (40 years) I also went to a Church of Christ college. There are other churches you could go to if their plan of salvation is biblical. The building does not have to say Church of Christ.
Exactly what other churches are you referring? Baptist? Catholic? Other? I do know that the bible also mentions the church of God, church of the firstborn, church of the living God. Are you referring to these or just any other ones? I have been meaning to ask you, did you get an email from Towhee? She has been restricted from the forum because she was accused of calling someone a name.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:16 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,950 times
Default think about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KySS View Post
Is that the best come back you have????
Thiefs normally do not follow the teachings of God nor the bible,

very true. i wonder why our lord was led to make the statement that he did to the thief. obviously, someone did something which led the lord to say (what amounted to an assurance) what he did. and, we know what the scriptures say, if we accept them as truths, that no sin enters heaven, no sin is in the presence of god nor christ. obviously, upon the thief's death, he was no longer a sinner (thief). notice, the other fellow was not discussed. we cannot conclude, from what is or is not said of this other criminal, that he was given the same assurance of pardon by the lord. he may have been, however, it really was not given to us.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Say Christopher, would you be so kind as to answer my questions in post #562?

Thanks!
the first thing that must be said...christians, and only christians, go to heaven. churches of Christ do not. neither does anything else under heaven...christians only. people who follow a new testament example of christianity: singing, praying, teaching, observing the lord's supper, and giving of what the lord has prospered constitutes new testament worship. churches of Christ is only a designation of a body of believers who prescribe to this pattern of new testament worship. one could worship with 2 or 3 individuals anywhere they choose and accomplish this requirement for the christian and for worship. the designation of the name, church of Christ, is purely used as a matter of expediency for those of like faith. as indicated in previous posts, names such as simply the Church, the church of the first born, the church of our Lord, the church of God, etc. could just as easlily be used.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:37 AM

Default going up in smoke...

Quote:
Well... Is he or isn't he? And please use Scripture to justify either answer.

god is the same yesterday, today, and forever. that is a promise for the dependence of man on god's existence and his goodness. it is, in total, the promise of the plan of salvation of mankind throughout history. his promise is never to change. understanding the original translation of the verb may be causing you some problems. check the hebrew translation and the greek lexicon for clarity. be sure to check the complete context of the scriptures you cited. doing
these things for you will do nothing to help you learn or see your possible misinterpretations.

as for sacrifices, god expected them from those in the patriarchial age and throughout the old covenant era. sacrifices were never intended by god to be a complete and total system for the forgiveness of man's sin. that is the very reason that christ and the establishment of the new testament/covenant was initiated. jesus never came to offer sacrifices for forgiveness through the blood of bulls and goats. his sacrifice was his blood for all mankind through his death on the cross. in fact, the new testament plainly says that such was the purpose of christs' coming into a lost world. sacrifices, therefore, would have been at complete cross-purposes to the lord's mission. as they already existed under the law of the first covenant, god would not have sent his only begotten son to die for a system that already existed.

Last edited by kingchef; 04-29-2009 at 10:54 AM..

Old 04-29-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
Exactly what other churches are you referring? Baptist? Catholic? Other? I do know that the bible also mentions the church of God, church of the firstborn, church of the living God. Are you referring to these or just any other ones? I have been meaning to ask you, did you get an email from Towhee? She has been restricted from the forum because she was accused of calling someone a name.
see post #586

Old 04-29-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KySS View Post
It is very offensive to me and many many born again Christians who are washed in the blood of Jesus and are on their way to heaven, to have a COC tell us that baptism is what saves when we know different and that is a Biblical teaching also. But God will lead as he lead me here to learn the real truth before I got involved. Again Thanks everyone....
1peter 3:21 And this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you
Mark 16:16 Whosoever believes and is baptized will be saved
Matt 3:11 I baptize you with water for repentance.
Mark 1:4 and Luke3:3 John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
John 3:3-5 I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again. How can a man be born when he is old? Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born! Jesus answered, I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he born of water and the Spirit.
Acts 2:41 Those who accepted his message were baptized and about three thousand were added to their number that day.
Rom 6:4-7 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. If we have been united with him like this in his death we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:47 AM

309 posts, read 511,966 times
Quote:
1peter 3:21 And this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you
Mark 16:16 Whosoever believes and is baptized will be saved
Matt 3:11 I baptize you with water for repentance.
Mark 1:4 and Luke3:3 John came, baptizing in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
John 3:3-5 I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again. How can a man be born when he is old? Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born! Jesus answered, I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he born of water and the Spirit.
Acts 2:41 Those who accepted his message were baptized and about three thousand were added to their number that day.
Rom 6:4-7 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. If we have been united with him like this in his death we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection.
John 3:3-5 doesn't mean water as in water you drink it means the Word of God. The Living Water is the Word of God. You are already born of the water physically through birth so he dont need to have that water the water a person needs is God's Word.

Acts 16:31 Paul and Silas told the jailer how to be saved when they said "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved you and your household.

Acts 2:21 "And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved"

John 6:29 "The work of God is this to believe in the one he has sent"

John 6:47 "I tell you the truth he who believes has everlasting life"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whomsoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life"

Notice there is nothing that says he who is baptized in any of these NT verses that teaches us how to be saved. I am not saying we shouldn't be baptized I am saying its not what gets us to heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity