Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 11:27 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
He's been turned into some guy who you'd play a round of golf with, go out for a few drinks, then forget about
I know a lot of people who believe in God. None of them think of Him as "some guy". I know gangbangers who use street vernacular and call Jesus their homeboy. But it means they've accepted him as their savior and walk with him. (None of them wanted to hang out with Jesus at the grow store, BTW.)

Where are these people wanting to hang out with God and toss a few back?

Though, now that I think about it, I have known people who sit in church on Sundays...... then cheat on their wives and their taxes so maybe they're the ones you're referring to when you state people "forget" God. Pretty sure the'd have to be included as examples of America's moral collapse by those who believe the giganto tidal wave is coming.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-31-2014 at 11:55 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 11:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
I think it stems from our loss of fearing God. He's been turned into some guy who you'd play a round of golf with, go out for a few drinks, then forget about. He's been turned into a one-dimensional Care Bear stuffed toy for our pleasure. When I read the countless threads and posts saying there is no way God could do something that they would not approve of, I'm often at a loss for words.
Indeed. They have created a brand new tailor made god. It is a false god, just like the false gods worshipped by pagans through the ages. There is no need to revere (aka 'fear') a false god. Some people confuse reverence for being afraid.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-31-2014 at 12:23 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 11:41 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
I think it stems from our loss of fearing God. He's been turned into some guy who you'd play a round of golf with, go out for a few drinks, then forget about.
You fear God alright, that is your problem. Fear not I AM with you

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.( even on the golf course)
I will never leave you, nor forsake you.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Indeed. They have created a brand new tailor made god. It is a false god, just like the false gods worshipped by pagans through the ages.
I'll admit - happily - the Creator in whom I believe is far, far, different from the one the bible writers invented.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'll admit - happily - the Creator in whom I believe is far, far, different from the one the bible writers invented.
Yes, I know your god is different from the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:27 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Yes, I know your god is different from the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
So too was the the god of the fundamentalists of Jesus' time.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:35 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,107 times
Quote:
Daylux, you nailed it! I read in a survey the #3 most given reason people give for not reading the Bible is that "I might have to change."

You simply would not believe the hundreds of people who've come to our church, from all walks of life and past teachings that say how grateful it is to find a church that still uses the Bible. There is a definite need, want and thirst for the Word of God.

Too many churches, in their quest to be balanced have swung into a smooth, slick, sophisticated entertainment social hour.

I think it stems from our loss of fearing God. He's been turned into some guy who you'd play a round of golf with, go out for a few drinks, then forget about. He's been turned into a one-dimensional Care Bear stuffed toy for our pleasure. When I read the countless threads and posts saying there is no way God could do something that they would not approve of, I'm often at a loss for words.

Keep the faith Daylux.
I will.

I definitely believe the bolded. We church hopped for quite awhile until we found a fellowship that offered the verse by verse studies.

The Word of God doesn't need to be dressed up in entertainment, or watered down to appease people. We want the meat of the word or we will leave and go somewhere else, or just do small studies out of our home or a friends (which we have done before). Those are sometimes the best, actually.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Such prophets were already sent and they wrote the Bible with the warnings, and we have been studying their words for several thousand years. Millions of Christians know what will happen, and are prepared for it. Likewise, many others reject the warnings as nonsense, or as "writings of ignorant savages" as some posters like to put it. Such people believe only what they want to believe, or whatever "tickles their ears".
More specifically Jesus Christ was that prophet, and His words are written in the Holy Bible.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I will.

I definitely believe the bolded. We church hopped for quite awhile until we found a fellowship that offered the verse by verse studies.

The Word of God doesn't need to be dressed up in entertainment, or watered down to appease people. We want the meat of the word or we will leave and go somewhere else, or just do small studies out of our home or a friends (which we have done before). Those are sometimes the best, actually.
The more liberal churches are losing a lot of members. Believers gravitate to Bible based churches, or Bible study groups which offer them more spiritually. Some stay in the liberal churches for social reasons.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:09 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Indeed. They have created a brand new tailor made god. It is a false god, just like the false gods worshipped by pagans through the ages. There is no need to revere (aka 'fear') a false god. Some people confuse reverence for being afraid.
I am at a loss to understand how you can accept the God described by barbarians and savages over the one revealed by Christ and still think you are being Christian! It is a true enigma of human psychology and indoctrination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity