Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 10:45 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,881,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Well your "demon antenna" is up and searching, I see. While Jesus never told ANY of His followers to spend their time going after demons, did He?

You can't do a thing, not a single thing, about sins committed by other people. But you can drive them away as you are, by concentrating on what failures they are rather than what hope they have.

You aren't "obeying" His commandments by pointing at demons--and it doesn't scare anyone but YOU. It's a sad spiritual place you've let your heart deteriorate into.

"Greater things" doesn't include "watch out a demon is out to get you."

When a blind man and one who sees are both together in darkness, they are no different from one another. When the light comes, then he who sees will see the light, and he who is blind will remain in darkness.

You don't see love, so you see nothing and, according to Scripture, the love of God is not in you.
I John 4:7-8
You make fun of love. You make fun of those saying they love "sinful" homosexuals. Jesus loved sinners, too and every time you mock a child of God seeking to love others as themselves, you mock Jesus Himself.

Get your own house in order before telling others what they must and must not do--or believe--in order to fit your style of religiosity.

As Jerwade so wisely points out, you can command demons to leave someone and still not be acquainted with Jesus.
Beautiful. Can't rep you again yet.

In fact, Jesus not only did NOT make this a major point of teaching for his disciples, he basically told them they weren't well qualified.

Matthew 17:

Quote:
19Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not drive it out?” 20And He said to them, “Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. 21[“But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”]

Old 05-13-2019, 10:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times
Quote:
Finny, to point out your incredible hypocrisy, on another thread you posted a video of fundamentalist preacher Paul Washer preaching his "holiness" message that is based on "salvation by works." Yet you are here trying to state you believe in "grace" and "eternal security of the believer."

Which is it? You are speaking out of both sides of your mouth and sound more like a snake in the garden than a voice crying in the wilderness.
I posted a video "examine yourself" to which you had some kind of allergic reaction (probably because you are afraid of self-examination). It was not about "salvation by works".

I know you like to argue for the sake of arguing, but I'll let you do it with someone else, since I do now with to be contaminated by your anger.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:46 AM

16,728 posts, read 15,727,874 times
While the mods feel that the subject matter of this thread is important and that discussion should continue, we temporarily closed this thread to allow everyone to think it over while we cleaned up some problem posts.

The Terms Of Service says simply: "Trolling" is prohibited. Trolling is more clearly discussed in the FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...g-defined.html

The R&S post rules have this to say: Personal attacks and trolling are strictly against the TOS. Please report instead of answering. Infractions WILL be given to BOTH the attacker and the posters that answers with an attack of their own. Once you reply to trolling posts you then often become a troll also. Answering and antagonizing is every bit as bad what the troll did. Infractions may ensue if you partake in this. Accusing another person of being a troll is defined here as a personal attack and is worthy of an infraction.

Telling another member that he/she or his/her behavior or his/her post meets the definition of a troll or trolling most certainly meets this criteria.

Please post in a way that is not focused on the individual member, but stays focused on that which is being discussed.

Obviously, we are in no position to force anybody to post or to respond to anything. If you choose not to respond, that is your choice. If you choose only to respond to part of a post, it might be better to say so (or bold the part of the post to which you are responding). If people have to ask repeatedly for clarification, it becomes disruptive.

If posts become disruptive to the conversation, please report them. Maybe we can delete them before the thread gets off track and turns personal.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,612,136 times
I apologize for my role in all of that, mensa. I will try to behave better going forward

Old 05-15-2019, 01:24 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,730,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I posted a video "examine yourself" to which you had some kind of allergic reaction (probably because you are afraid of self-examination). It was not about "salvation by works".

I know you like to argue for the sake of arguing, but I'll let you do it with someone else, since I do now with to be contaminated by your anger.
That video was exactly about salvation by works. His entire oratory theme of his ministry is about salvation by works. Just because he doesn't say that in this particular message doesn't lessen his message. Works are done out of gratefulness for what God has done for us, not to "earn" salvation each day.

Quote:
God hates the false teachings of Paul Washer! Biblical salvation is based upon the love of God (1st John 3:16) and not upon one's willingness to depart from sin. What Paul Washer is teaching is evil to the core. Paul Washer is heard around the world by millions of people, many of whom live in constant fear because of Washer's teachings. You just read it for yourself...
“the Bible wants you to know that you should be terribly, terribly afraid — you know not God.”
John MacArthur, Paul Washer and Ray Comfort... Making Salvation Hard!
Kind of interesting that you quote John 3:16 as your "favorite" verse and then make Paul Washer, who doesn't believe that at all as your poster child.

In another interesting point of your hypocrisy, you have criticized me for quoting Hitler by saying he wasn't a Christian. I agree, but his written words stated he was. So I cannot point out the incongruity of you using a message from a salvation by grace preacher, but you can shake your finger at me for quoting Hitler or the Nazi regime which certainly held dear some of the things fundamentalist Christians hold dear.

No, I'm not angry. I'm pure disgusted with your selfish me-ism religion which is all about YOUR rights. And disgusted with the disingenuous religious attempt to politically impose your will in trying to tell people how they run they private lives (like in Georgia and Alabama in the past couple of days). Moderator cut: political

Get thee behind me---

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-15-2019 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: No politics/assuming politics of another poster

Old 05-15-2019, 04:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times
Quote:
That video was exactly about salvation by works.
No, it was about examining yourself.

Quote:
Just because he doesn't say that in this particular message doesn't lessen his message.
First you claimed the video is exactly about salvation by works, and now you admit it doesn't say it This is why talking to you is usually a waste of time.

Right, it doesn't say it. I posted that video for what it actually said, which is "examine yourself" based on 2 Corinthians 13:5. I agree with what he says on that video, and I don't care what you think he has said on some other occasions, but feel free to open a thread about him.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!

That is solid advice.

If he has other videos stating salvation is by works, then I would disagree with him on that, but I agree with the "examine yourself" video.

No further comment.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-15-2019 at 05:19 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 08:48 PM

661 posts, read 523,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
There is a woman running for local office in my area. She's an Evangelical (fundie). Her Facebook is dangerously partisan in favor of the Religious Right (Freedom Caucus mentality). She says the most outrageous things on her page: atheists are hopeless people, live birth abortion myths, America will soon be Venezuela, etc. It is truly disturbing. But what floors me is her level of conviction: She thinks she is 100% right and all other people are 100% wrong such as liberals, atheists, gays, Muslims, Buddhists....and, yes, Catholic Christian nuns like Mother Theresa. It bothers me on many levels. Then she has the nerve to intertwine the American flag with American Evangelical Protestantism ideas (almost like flag worship). Obviously, she doesn't believe in the separation of church and state, either (well, of course) and thinks guns are the solutions to all the nation's problems. Disturbing. But many people where I live - even if some don't agree with her fully in her agenda - embrace her as a decent citizen to be admired. Again, disturbing.

Thank god the majority of people who think like her are less than 15-20% of the country. There is absolutely no arguing or reasoning with her as she has the 100% correct world view, one that is based on complete ignorance. All of the world's greatest thinkers like Buddhist monks, Yogi sages, Orthodox saints, atheist philosophers, etc. - have got it all wrong. Only her preacher and like-minded folk in the Evangelical Protestant world know anything worth being known.

It's a given that she's hateful and ignorant. A very dangerous combo.

To be honest, there are a few Evangelicals who are not as radical and who can be reasoned with to some degree. I have met a few, which gives me a flicker of hope.

A sad state of affairs.
I'm not much of a fan either, but acknowledge that there are some valid points in their criticism of those who call themselves left wing in politics. Not everyone on the left, but a very large number of them in my experience also talk about the right in a very similar way.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it was about examining yourself.

First you claimed the video is exactly about salvation by works, and now you admit it doesn't say it This is why talking to you is usually a waste of time.

Right, it doesn't say it. I posted that video for what it actually said, which is "examine yourself" based on 2 Corinthians 13:5. I agree with what he says on that video, and I don't care what you think he has said on some other occasions, but feel free to open a thread about him.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!

That is solid advice.

If he has other videos stating salvation is by works, then I would disagree with him on that, but I agree with the "examine yourself" video.

No further comment.
okay, I'll reintroduce Hitler talking about being a Christian, and the Third Reich on treating homosexuals the way you do. It's about examining YOUR values and how they line up with the greatest despots in history.

I'm going to get right on it so you can try a little self evaluation.

In the meantime, here is another Paul Washer quote. It is his INTENDED purpose to get one to try to work their way into heaven. Like the Third Reich, his initial PURPOSE may seem innocuous. But like the Third Reich, there is method to his madness. You are simply the duped one.

Quote:
I have run into many Washerites who are so bogged down with the Law, yet they have sensitive consciences, needing the Gospel. It is true that when a minister of the Word of God gives the Law, it is through the Holy Spirit that people will feel conviction, contrition, and finally repent, but to slam people with the Law is unbiblical! It is hurtful. I’d highly recommend reading online for free C.F.W. Walther’s Law and Gospel or you can purchase it HERE.
---------
Resource 2: The Preparationism of Paul Washer
This is a podcast from Rev. Jordan Cooper, whose blog posts, podcasts, and books can be found HERE. “On today’s program, I discussed the connection between the preparationist theology of early American Puritanism and it’s connection to the theology of Paul Washer. I review of ten minute segment of a Paul Washer sermon…”
Resource 3: A Critique of the Theology of Paul Washer
A fair critique by Rev. Jordan Cooper: “On today’s program I reviewed clips from sermons by Calvinistic baptist preacher Paul Washer. I discussed why I believe his theology to be dangerous.”
Resource 2: The Preparationism of Paul Washer

This is a podcast from Rev. Jordan Cooper, whose blog posts, podcasts, and books can be found HERE. “On today’s program, I discussed the connection between the preparationist theology of early American Puritanism and it’s connection to the theology of Paul Washer. I review of ten minute segment of a Paul Washer sermon…”

Resource 3: A Critique of the Theology of Paul Washer
A fair critique by Rev. Jordan Cooper: “On today’s program I reviewed clips from sermons by Calvinistic baptist preacher Paul Washer. I discussed why I believe his theology to be dangerous.”
https://lutheransblog.wordpress.com/...h-paul-washer/

Yet you regard quoting a heretic as a "gospel" message!

Old 05-15-2019, 10:34 PM

Default How Nazism and Fundamentalism resemble one another

The following post in NO way suggests christian fundamentalists ARE Nazis. It does show how they resemble them.

Quote:
In recent years, the United States and other western countries have seen the rise of what I call the “Religious Reich,” led by Fundamentalist Christian men with literally theocratic agendas. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, “theocracy” means literally “rule by a God,” but in practice it means rule by men claiming to speak for their God. How has this manifested in the U.S.A.?

It has done so through the 'Xxxxxxxxxxx' Party, which has become an unholy-owned subsidiary of Fundamentalist lunatics; as has become obvious to nearly everyone in politics — including the Internal Revenue Service, which on June 10th, 1999 c.e. finally revoked the Christian Coalition’s tax-exempt status.

What many Americans don’t know, however (until it’s too late), is that the Religious Reich focuses as much attention on taking over local school boards, town halls, and county governments, as it does on grabbing for power on the statewide and national levels. (aside: exactly as the Third Reich did) This is part of their long-range theocratic plan for America, which they call “Christian Reconstructionism” or “Dominionist theology.” They want to take over enough state governments to call for a constitutional convention (according to some arguments, they are only a few states away from that goal). At such an event they could legally scrap our current Constitution and the entire Bill of Rights, replacing them with their own twisted vision of “Biblical Law,” which, like “Islamic Law,” means whatever the men in charge say it does.
Understanding the Religious Reich

And like the Third Reich, christian fundamentalism brooks no argument with their belief system:
Quote:
No Room for Debate: There are several issues within a fundamentalist doctrine that have no room for debate. According to McSwain, one of these is that abortion is always murder and the second is that homosexuality is "a sin against nature and an abomination to God."
https://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures.../17/id/639249/

Quote:
Hitler and the Nazis are often cited as an example of the horrible crimes which atheists have committed in the 20th century. They are only assumed to be atheists, though, because people can't imagine Christians doing such things; in reality, Hitler explicitly appealed to Christianity on a regular basis and this was part of why he was popular. Not every Christian supported the Nazis, of course, but he was most popular with conservative Christians seeking a restoration of traditional values.
-------------
The actions of Hitler and the Nazis were about as “Christian” as the actions of people during the Crusades or the Inquisition. There were certainly non-Christian Nazis, and several leading Nazis preferred a neo-pagan theistic religion over Christianity, but the position was never officially endorsed either by the Nazi Party or by Adolf Hitler himself. Indeed, Christian complaints about the paganism of some Nazi leaders were given a sympathetic reception.

Christians may not like acknowledging that Nazi actions might have anything to do with Christianity, but Germany saw itself as a fundamentally Christian nation and millions of Christians in Germany enthusiastically endorsed Hitler and the Nazi Party in part because they saw both as embodiments of both German and Christian ideals. Conservative Christians who wanted a return to traditional values either voted for the Nazis or one of the other right-wing nationalist parties which eventually supported and merged with the Nazis.
http://atheistforums.com/index.php?topic=6868.0

Old 05-15-2019, 10:57 PM

Default Fundamentalism and Nazi pseudo science

Not saying that christian fundamentalists are Nazis, but nevertheless they show similar belief characteristics:

Quote:
Nazism was not science-based. It was pseudo-scientific religious dogma, tightly tied to the German culture of the time, which was almost entirely Catholic and Lutheran. All you have to do is look at Hitler's own words to see that, even if he were personally a closet Satanist (I don't think he was; he was an idiosyncratic Catholic), he tapped into the faith of the German people to achieve his ends. You cannot blame the horrors of the Third Reich on Darwin, who had negligible influence on the great masses of the German Volk, no political pull, and no appeal to the media. If you wanted a lever to shift public opinion on anything in the 1930s, religion was where you applied your force.
------------
I have to give an early plug for my colleague, Michael Lackey (also on the CFI speakers' bureau, by the way), who will be coming out with a book this Spring on exactly this topic.
His new book project (Modernist God States: A Literary Study of the Theological Origins of Nazi Totalitarianism) is on Hitler and the Nazis. In this book, he opposes one of the dominant interpretations of intellectual and political history, which holds that the West, since the Enlightenment, has been becoming increasingly more secular. Scholars who have adopted this approach claim that Hitler and the Nazis are the logical product of secularization, atheism, and humanism. By stark contrast, Lackey has been trying to demonstrate that secularization has only taken hold in very elite circles, mainly among academics, scholars, and intellectuals. As for the general population, it has actually become increasingly more religious, but in ways that are significantly different from pre-Enlightenment versions of religion. Based on his findings, Lackey argues that the only way to understand Hitler and the Nazis is to take into account the new conceptions of religious subjectivity that started to flourish and dominate among the general population in the early part of the twentieth century. Understanding these new conceptions sheds new and considerable light on Hitler's and the Nazis' religious conception of the political.
The latter bolded statement of the first paragraph being an exact replica of American christian fundamentalism in action in the present time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity