Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 10:28 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,731,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Yes they do share my view. Stop pretending like I am the only person in the world opposing homosexuality. That is a fiction world. You may look big here, but your ilk runs scared even when faced with the challenge of facing me one on one in private message.

And why are you acting like you have boxed me in the corner with this naming of the nations? The Bible doesn't specifically say, but it says it was former nations that existed in that land. We know there were several nations that didn't last long from that region. Ammorites, Amalekites for example. Also Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed along with Rome.

And for those who claim the bible is only talking about pagan worship:

https://www.pccmonroe.org/what-the-b...sexuality.html
We already know your god changes his mind in the word you worship, and i’ve quoted examples ad nauseam.

But here is where your failure to study Scripture scholastically bites your behind:
Quote:
An “abomination” conjures up images of things which should not exist on the face of the earth: three-legged babies, oceans choked with oil, or Cheez-Whiz. And indeed, this is how many religious people regard gays and lesbians. It’s Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. Homosexuality is unnatural, a perversion, a disease, an abomination.

Yet a close reading of the term toevah suggests an entirely different meaning: something permitted to one group, and forbidden to another. Though there is (probably) no etymological relationship, toevah means taboo.

The term toevah (and its plural, toevot) occurs 103 times in the Hebrew Bible, and almost always has the connotation of a non-Israelite cultic practice. The Israelites are instructed not to commit toevah because other nations do so.

Toevah is used four times in Leviticus 18—once to refer to male homosexual acts, and then three times as an umbrella term. As in Deuteronomy, the signal feature of toevot is that the other nations of the Land of Israel do them: “You shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit these toevot… because the people who were in the land before you did these toevot and made the land impure (tameh)” (Lev. 18:26-27; see also Lev. 18:29). The term is repeated with reference to homosexual activity in Lev. 20:13.

In five instances, Ezekiel mentions toevah together with both idolatry and zimah or znut, “whoredom” (Ez. 16:22, 16:36, 16:58, 23:26, 43:8), strongly suggesting that the nature of sexual toevah is not mere lewdness, and certainly not loving intimate expression, but sexuality in a cultic context.

Now, so far, it is unclear whether a toevah is detestable because it is foreign, or foreign because it is detestable. This question is resolved elsewhere in the Bible, because Israelites are not the only ones with toevot. There are several examples of things which are toevah for Egyptians but perfectly acceptable for Israelites.

Genesis 43:32 states that eating with Israelites is toevah for Egyptians. Gen. 43:34 states that shepherds are toevah to Egyptians—the sons of Israel are themselves shepherds. In Exodus 8:22, Moses describes Israelite sacrifices as being toevat mitzrayim (toevah of Egypt), although obviously Israelite ritual is not an objective “abomination.” If toevah means abomination, then eating with shepherds, eating with Israelites, and Israelite sacrifices themselves must be abominable! Since this clearly is not the case, toevah cannot mean “abomination” in any ontological sense—it must be a relative quality.

Now, if by “abomination,” the King James means a cultural prohibition—something which a particular culture abhors but another culture enjoys—then the term makes sense. But in common parlance, the term has come to mean much more than that. Today, it connotes something horrible, something contrary to the order of nature itself, or God’s plan, or the institution of the family, or whatever. It is this malleability of meaning, and its close association with disgust, that makes “abomination” a particularly abominable word to use. The term implies that homosexuality has no place under the sun (despite its presence in over 300 animal species), and that it is an abomination against the Divine order itself. Again, toevah is not a good thing—but it doesn’t mean all of that.

Progressive religionists must stop using the word “abomination” to refer to toevah. The word plays into the hands of fundamentalists on the one hand, and anti-religious zealots on the other, both of whom want to depict the Bible as virulently and centrally concerned with the “unnatural” acts of gays and lesbians. In fact, toevah is mostly about idolatry, and male homosexual behavior is only as abominable as remarriage or not keeping kosher. Whenever we use the word “abomination” we are perpetuating the misunderstanding of biblical text and the religious persecution of LGBT people.
Does the Bible Really Call Homosexuality an

Old 06-09-2019, 10:38 PM

63,942 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
We already know your god changes his mind in the word you worship, and i’ve quoted examples ad nauseam.

But here is where your failure to study Scripture scholastically bites your behind:
Does the Bible Really Call Homosexuality an
Well done.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:42 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,608,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfailing presence View Post
With the average male homosexual having a 10 year shorter life span than the average male heterosexual most Christians
Care to provide citations for this?

Old 06-10-2019, 12:23 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,410,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
They don't share your exact view, neither do they believe homosexuals are disgusting and should be discriminated against over a piece of cake. Now, how about those nations that were destroyed because of human sexuality?
Quote:
Yes they do share my view. Stop pretending like I am the only person in the world opposing homosexuality. That is a fiction world. You may look big here, but your ilk runs scared even when faced with the challenge of facing me one on one in private message.

And why are you acting like you have boxed me in the corner with this naming of the nations? The Bible doesn't specifically say, but it says it was former nations that existed in that land. We know there were several nations that didn't last long from that region. Ammorites, Amalekites for example. Also Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed along with Rome.
I never said you were the ONLY one, rather there is a sect of Christiansim that believes as you. But that is NOT a representation of the whole; collectively! And I highly doubt that anyone is afraid of you for any reason, even when you pretend to act tough. For the record, I do not belong to a specific group.

Apparently, you cannot answer a direct question: What nations were destroyed because of human sexuality? Let me give you a clue - NONE. There were wars, and rumors of war - but not a single one was destroyed because of their sexual orientation or human sexuality. However, I would like you to elaborate a bit more about the Ammorites or Sodom and Gomorrah whose "intent" it was to abuse strangers? If, for no other reason than to understand where you are coming from - as you appear to be reading things into the text (i.e., a preconceived notion or ideology).

Quote:
And for those who claim the bible is only talking about pagan worship:

Quote:
When it comes to those two verses in the book of Leviticus which condemn men sodomizing each other, there are some homosexual apologists who disingenuously state that those verses only condemn "cultic sexual acts between men" but that those verses do not condemn "loving gay relationships." That particular argument goes up in smoke rather quickly in light of the rest of the Bible and also when one considers that the Leviticus prohibitions on homosexual acts are smack dab in the middle of prohibitions on other perverted sexual behavior such as bestiality and incest. If God is only condemning "cultic homosexual acts" in the Leviticus passages, then it would follow that He is also only condemning "cultic sex with animals" and "cultic incest." Of course, there is no such thing as legitimate sexual relations between a person and an animal or between a parent and a child anymore than sexual relations between man and man or woman and woman are legitimate. God, in His Word, condemns all sexual activity other than that between a man and a woman in the holy estate of matrimony.
As already noted, God's Word is crystal clear and extremely strong in the condemnation of homosexual acts. In Judges 19:22, homosexuals are referred to as "sons of Belial"; and in Judges 20:13, they are called "children of Belial." The word Belial denotes individuals who are ungodly and wicked. That is exactly how God views those who engage in homosexual acts.

https://www.pccmonroe.org/what-the-b...sexuality.html
"Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers God will judge."

Why is it that the victims are the ones who are leaving the Churches, while the perpetrators and the fundamentalist wife beaters, bigots and adulterers remain? Your temperament of male-dominance reminds me of Sodom and Gomorrah which had nothing to do with a loving relationship. Apparently, it frightens you to think that others might be happy with who they are, their relationships, or the way they were born.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:46 AM

1,349 posts, read 665,466 times
Quote:
The Catholic church has 1.285 billion people worldwide. Try again. Besides doesn't your ilk love to brag how Christianity is dying worldwide? To suggest that only a tiny minority oppose homosexuality is ludicrous.
What I find interesting is how you seem to believe that every member of any church alheartedly agree with and follow every precept taught in their church.

That is not the case. From what I understand, it's why there are so many denominations in your kind of religion, hard to agree on every little thing...

It's not the case for the catholic church. And it also far from the case that 1.285B catholic agree with everything the vatican says (or should I say "try to edict"?)

But then as another poster mentionned, most of the time you don't even believe catholics are christian except, as we see here, when it suits you.

I'm even pretty sure you don't consider other denominations within your own sect to be real christians

Old 06-10-2019, 05:18 AM

16,728 posts, read 15,731,369 times
Quote:
Yes they do share my view.
Apparently not. You are making the claim that every member of every denomination opposed to same sex membership shares that view. That's patently ridiculous. We know from the recent convention of the United Methodist Church that the reality is that the issue of same sex relationships is much more divisive in mainstream denominations that was previously thought. Instead of 100% or 90% on one view of the issue, the real opinion of the membership is closer to 60-40. It's true that a lot of people share your view, but you seem to ignore the clear fact that there is also a lot of people who do not.

Quote:
Stop pretending like I am the only person in the world opposing homosexuality.
Please stop this silliness unless you're willing to go find the post where somebody said you are the only person opposing homosexuality and quote that post. Right here. Right now.

Quote:
That is a fiction world. You may look big here, but your ilk runs scared even when faced with the challenge of facing me one on one in private message.
You made that challenge before. One person said he took you up on it and sent you a Direct Message. As I recall, it was your failure to respond that caused that conversation to cease to exist.

<snip> I'll let somebody who knows more than I do argue about the Bible with you. (It'll be fun to watch though.)

Old 06-10-2019, 05:21 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,613,557 times
KaBOOM!

Another major hit to Jeffbase40

When ya gonna learn jeffbase?

Old 06-10-2019, 05:37 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,613,557 times
Quote:
The Catholic church has 1.285 billion people worldwide. Try again. Besides doesn't your ilk love to brag how Christianity is dying worldwide? To suggest that only a tiny minority oppose homosexuality is ludicrous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Catholics are christian jeffbase?
Another question you’re going cowardly crawl away from jeffbase40?

Do you pray to Mary jeffbase

Old 06-10-2019, 06:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I posted that you fit the psychological profile of a latent homosexual.
Your words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden I didn’t make you homosexual, God did. You’re simply ashamed of His handiwork.
Own them!

Old 06-10-2019, 06:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfailing presence View Post
With the average male homosexual having a 10 year shorter life span than the average male heterosexual most Christians
I know actually have sympathy , not "anger " towards homosexuals .
Not surprising. Disease, unhealthy lifestyles and high rate of suicide assure that many die young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity