Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 05:25 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Yeah, impressive hermeneutical response there, champ.
If that was my only post on this thread, you might have a point.

Quote:
I was mostly offering other possibilities since I'm not 100% decided on UR but if you think your belief is less acrobatic, than prove it with your own 'context.' ...heck, maybe start by definitively proving what I just said is as being false and maybe I won't think you're another fundamentalist drone who would strap a bomb to himself if he was born into an extreme version of a certain different religion ..and if you think that's harsh (and it probably is a little bit ), please prove how thats more insane the then idea of a loving creator creating a system where 90% to 99% percent end up being tortured for all eternity...
I've already done that here. So have others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 05:34 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, and they end they argument by stating they believe it because they "prefer" that version. Unfortunately we don't get to pick something we prefer, because the truth is what it is. It's like saying "I prefer to stay in my 30s" as if that would somehow make it happen.
You prefer the doctrine of being saved from eternal hell or lost to it, and nowhere in the scriptures does it teach it, so what's your point?. You believe in an myth just like I did after being bewitched by ravenous wolves who entered the flock 2000 plus years ago and bred like rabbits through the centuries and peddled the evil doctrine through Christendom along with the belief, believe the right things about the bible and you will become a Christian. You will see it us Mickey Mouse stuff if you are man enough to be open enough stand back away from your prejudices to take an honest look at it.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,380,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
If that was my only post on this thread, you might have a point.

I've already done that here. So have others.
And I have yet to see anywhere on this thread where what I have said has be definitively proven wrong. Maybe I missed something... Oh great ET guru, please show me where I have gone wrong!

Old 02-04-2016, 07:58 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
The only thing I've learned from this thread is that some people are inexplicably more hateful than others.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
And I have yet to see anywhere on this thread where what I have said has be definitively proven wrong. Maybe I missed something... Oh great ET guru, please show me where I have gone wrong!
Oh look, more name-calling.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The only thing I've learned from this thread is that some people are inexplicably more hateful than others.
You got that right!

Old 02-04-2016, 09:07 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
You can start with this accusation of God being more insane than terrorists if Jesus is being truthful concerning those on his left at Judgement Day:
maybe I won't think you're another fundamentalist drone who would strap a bomb to himself if
he was born into an extreme version of a certain different religion ..and if you think that's
harsh (and it probably is a little bit )please prove how thats more insane the then idea of a loving creator creating a system where 90% to 99% percent end up being tortured for all eternity...
is that really going to be your defense for those on the left on that day when they hear Jesus say:
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels."
----- and they do as commanded?

Old 02-04-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Funny, I thought you'd like the term ET Guru since you claim you and others have defended ET so well.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:25 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
1 Timothy 2:4
... who desires all people to be saved and come to full knowledge of [the] truth.

It's an active, ongoing result of a previous action.

And in the ongoing result of that action; desires (wants, wills) all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of truth. The action is indicative. Nowhere is it subjunctive or that of being contingent or probable, nor imperative on the subjects response. Neither, is it Optative, as in being unlikely or wishful thinking that man "might" come to this salvation and knowledge.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
You can start with this accusation of God being more insane than terrorists if Jesus is being truthful concerning those on his left at Judgement Day:
maybe I won't think you're another fundamentalist drone who would strap a bomb to himself if
he was born into an extreme version of a certain different religion ..and if you think that's
harsh (and it probably is a little bit )please prove how thats more insane the then idea of a loving creator creating a system where 90% to 99% percent end up being tortured for all eternity...
is that really going to be your defense for those on the left on that day when they hear Jesus say:
“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels."
----- and they do as commanded?
Ah yes, What evening would be complete without the classic TwinSpin default when all other argumentation is insufficient: "God's gonna get you for this!" You can do better than that.

...These Verses are what goes on in the back of your head all the time aren't they Twin? If so, they keep you in this unquestioning drone-like state of being able to justify anything as long as it appears to be biblical without giving it a second moral thought. But please, if its even possible for you, turn your drone switch off for a second and really look beyond what you think is an insult and compare the your level of unquestioning of torture hell to that of a suicide bomber. Are you really so different in this regard? You both believe in ideas that are morally unconscionable By any known standard of justice but you both think thats the best translation and your too afraid of God or Allah to think any other way.

If the New Testament said: "Blessed are those who molest Children" and that was the tradition for 1900 years until one day, a minority of scholars and Christians realized the Greek translation is wrong and said it should read "Blessed are those who 'nourish' Children" or something not insane like that, would you fight so hard against the minority as you do against UR just because you came from tradition and you thought you had the more accurate translation? I don't expect you to answer that, but its really not as far fetched of a question and comparison as you might think.

Anyways, to answer your question: if by some miracle/absurdity of morality Jesus says this exactly this way (which is probably a bad translation from the orignal given the words used) and means we're about to be carted off to Eternal Torture the way you seem to hope he does and it actually is 90 to 99% of all people including me for some reason, I can't be sure exactly what I'd say...It might be something along the lines of "You call victory?" and then sadly shake my head...or maybe if I'm feeling brave: "enjoy your eternity being worshiped by a comparatively small group of people whose love for you is too tainted by fear to be true love." Then I'm sure you'd stand there in 'glee' as I'll be carted off along with Ghandi, John Lennon, probably most of the people who work in charity organizations, and maybe even by your standards, Mother Teresa, to burn forever in Bill Weise style hell for failing to have Twin-perfect theology...but no, thats not going to happen because I love Jesus and I trust his judgment will make sense in the end and I believe he has guided my conscience to at least some degree on this issue...which perhaps is why I feel led to write as much as I am even if its not perfect.

I personally think your going to be like Jonah angry about God not destroying Nineveh when it comes to who ends up in heaven. And you'll have to give an account of why you thought God (a.k.a. Love) could be capable of torturing people for eternity even after you've endlessly heard logical and moral arguments (you haven't even come close to defeating or even addressing) and even biblical arguments about why this is insane... Or maybe he'll be nice and put you in the room with people who think their the only ones in heaven, but I doubt it. I know all you care about is whats in the Bible and you brush off any moral or logical based argument no matter how strong, but this just makes you look even more unempathetic and drone-ish I fear your posts really do come off this way to anyone who isn't a fundamentalist looking to thumbs up something that sounds Christianese to them or something with favorable scripture in it. Heck, If you remember anything from this long post, I hope its that.

Come on Twin, for the sake of everyone here who thinks you have no moral or logical mind of your own, Take a crack at justifying this Cosmic Geneva convention violation of infinite proportions on a scale that is at least somewhat comparable to a Human Justice scale from the perspective of a creator who set all the rules and punishments from the beginning on a race of people he claims to love and knew would be imperfect. And no, you won't be playing God by doing so; Just trying to understand things from his perspective so you can better evangelize..and perhaps even sleep better at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity