Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 03:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Capitalism will take care of all of that. The government stops fixing the roads and Capitalism will take over and fix the roads. They would start a union of nation wide trucking companies to fix them themselves and if they were not taxed out of all they money, they could get it done. Wherever you start business, businesses will build roads and ensure the safety of their own communities.
You just keep telling yourself that. Nation-wide trucking companies for road repair won't do diddly squat if your house is burning down or you have a massive heart attack in Walgreens.....but you just keep telling yourself that. Maybe you can ask Trump to supply the buckets. And the water.

p.s. Tell them to fix the pot holes on the 40 outside Amarillo first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 03:14 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Oh, lord. Only a Texan But hey, don't stop making the TexMex It's the only think I look forward to when I have to go down there!

C'mon down but most people miss out on what true Texans do, gotta have at least 2 crawfish boils a year with two swimin pools filled up. Dress out about 40 deer a year and ducks no my name. You walk in my house and things don't come from the store, we grow all our vegies, and slice our own meat, stock our own fish and cook like Bohemians. It's a spiritual thing, big family gatherings every time we kill a deer, the family shows up with ceremony.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:09 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Yeah, I guess politics remains for those who know it better, but I would put the same tax on everyone, but then I believe in Capitalism and I would do away with most taxes and shrink the government to nothing. I am a Libertarian.

I think I will vote for Trump at least 100 times.
Please do, I think he is quite representative of a huge chunk of Republicans. He is representative of their kind of "christianity" as well--and the best hope for a Hillary presidency.

Capitalism as now practiced in this country is destroying it--which is what happens anytime an economic system is taken to its extremes.

If you want an education on the real difficulties facing all nations, particularly the U.S., read The Spirit Level, by a couple of British epidemiologists who point out the negative results of rich economies that begin to widen the wealth gap--(which Sanders talks about in his campaign.

Quote:
The authors point out that the life-diminishing results of valuing growth above equality in rich societies can be seen all around us. Inequality causes shorter, unhealthier and unhappier lives; it increases the rate of teenage pregnancy, violence, obesity, imprisonment and addiction; it destroys relationships between individuals born in the same society but into different classes; and its function as a driver of consumption depletes the planet's resources.
Review: The Spirit Level by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett | Books | The Guardian

While much of the book focuses on a British perspective, they had to break states down in the U.S. because of the huge differences between groups of states. The poorest states, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, for example, all have the worst results and the highest income differentials.

They point out that the last time the U.S. had as great an income gap between the richest 20% and the poorest 20% was---1929. The Trump phenomena is illustrative of an increasing number of unhappy Americans. It's ironic that they would select a self-centered billionaire to be their icon of hope.

I miss my TexMex and fried catfish from eight years in Dallas. Denver doesn't come close in either regard. But then I can walk outside during the summer without fainting from heat exhaustion.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Please do, I think he is quite representative of a huge chunk of Republicans. He is representative of their kind of "christianity" as well--and the best hope for a Hillary presidency.

Capitalism as now practiced in this country is destroying it--which is what happens anytime an economic system is taken to its extremes.

If you want an education on the real difficulties facing all nations, particularly the U.S., read The Spirit Level, by a couple of British epidemiologists who point out the negative results of rich economies that begin to widen the wealth gap--(which Sanders talks about in his campaign.

Review: The Spirit Level by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett | Books | The Guardian

While much of the book focuses on a British perspective, they had to break states down in the U.S. because of the huge differences between groups of states. The poorest states, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, for example, all have the worst results and the highest income differentials.

They point out that the last time the U.S. had as great an income gap between the richest 20% and the poorest 20% was---1929. The Trump phenomena is illustrative of an increasing number of unhappy Americans. It's ironic that they would select a self-centered billionaire to be their icon of hope.

I miss my TexMex and fried catfish from eight years in Dallas. Denver doesn't come close in either regard. But then I can walk outside during the summer without fainting from heat exhaustion.

LOL, You don't have a clue why Trump is such a phenomena do you?

It's the right man at the right time. Any other time I would say,'' Have you lost your mind, Trump as President?''

People aren't behind Trump because of his politics, it's because they are freaking angry.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:13 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:

It's the right man at the right time. Any other time I would say,'' Have you lost your mind, Trump as President?''

People aren't behind Trump because of his politics, it's because they are freaking angry.
Which is what the Spirit Level is all about--the wider the gap in income distribution--the unhappier people become. Unhappy people are angry people--just look at all those ISIS idiots--same thing.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:48 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
A Christian perspective on our Republican Candidates for President
I agree whole-heartedly with Dr. Michael Brown (who lives in Concord, NC and has a radio program [The Line of Fire, on radio AM 960, M-Friday at 2 P]M) and Dr. James Dobson (who you probably remember as being in charge of the Focus on the Family programs for many years. Dr. Dobson had a radio ad several days ago, saying that he firmly supports Ted Cruz after Donald Trump and Marco Rubio both have admitted that they had no problem with gay marriages. Cruz is a fervent opposer of abortion and gay marriage, supporting the definition of marriage as being the union of one man and one woman. I am personally disappointed that evangelical ministers such as Jerry Falwell and Mike Huckabee have endorsed Trump despite his frequent verbal outbursts saying he would ban all Muslims from entering the USA and that the Pope should not express his doubt of Trump being a true Christian. I am very much concerned that Trump uses profanity openly, has had multiple marriages [and I think he has publicly admitted being an adulterer, but I am not sure about that.]

Our minister, Mike McGee [elder of the non-denominational Shiloh Truelight Church in Mint Hill,NC] delivered an excellent sermon several Sundays ago regrading Ephesians Chapter 2. Eph.2:[8] For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast[10] For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Many Protestant ministers teach that we are saved by faith alone, with no works being necessary. It is true that none of our natural good works will save us, since we read in Isaiah 64: [6] But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
So our natural works are not accepted by God and we have nothing of which we can boast. But we read in James 2: [17] Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
And as we read on in Eph. 2: [10] FOR WE ARE HIS WORKMANSHIP, CREATED IN CHRIST JESUS, WHICH GOD HATH BEFORE ORDAINED THAT WE SHOULD WALK IN THEM UNTO GOOD WORKS.
If we have truly repented and received the Holy Spirit, the fruits of that Spirit are the only works which are accepted by God, and we have no natural works of which we can boast. Jesus said in Luke 17: [7] But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
[8] And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
[9] Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
[10] So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.
Jesus also said in John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. Mike McGee has made it very clear that if churches teach anything that is definitely contrary to the Bible [such as saying that God will accept gay marriages, when the Bible teaches that homosexuality is an abomination] they are turning the word of God into a lie.
But we must all remember that we are all sinners and condemned if we have never truly repented. Homosexuality is no worse that adultery or shacking up with someone with no intent to marry, or of breaking any of the ten commandments. Remember also that Jesus said that there is more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over minty and nine who need no repentance.

When you mention Dobson, who advocates beating children, and you reference the Ted Cruz brand of fundamentalist Christianity - of which you seen to be an adherent, you are not speaking about the love and grace that Jesus preached.

You are speaking about a fringe ideology.

Donald Trump - married three times. Obviously, has little knowledge of the Bible. Worships money. Hates people who are different from him.

Ted Cruz - a scary "Christian Dominionist" who beats his Children and wants to destroy all social systems that benefit the poor. '

I don't see christ in either of these candidates. Or in the nasty rhetoric of the Republican party in general.

Who do I see Christ in? I see values that are consistent with Christian values in Bernie Sanders.

The Jewish candidate.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:50 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:

I am ANGRY TOO! I am so FREAKING ANGRY, but I would rather bite a bullet--LITERALLY--than vote for any of the clowns riding in that junket...

Those on the side of HATE are not angry--they are on an over dose script of BIGOTRY...and they have found a mouth-piece that is able to legitimize it because he is TOO WEALTHY to doubt--A modern day version of the IDIOT EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES..

Old 03-15-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Which is what the Spirit Level is all about--the wider the gap in income distribution--the unhappier people become. Unhappy people are angry people--just look at all those ISIS idiots--same thing.
Like I said, you don't have a clue....I would explain it to you if you had a chance to understand but if you don't know what is happening already, then it cannot be explained to you.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:05 AM

In NH, over 20,000 Democrats switched sides to the republican party, and the reason should be obvious to angry people.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:18 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
When you mention Dobson, who advocates beating children, and you reference the Ted Cruz brand of fundamentalist Christianity - of which you seen to be an adherent, you are not speaking about the love and grace that Jesus preached.

You are speaking about a fringe ideology.

Donald Trump - married three times. Obviously, has little knowledge of the Bible. Worships money. Hates people who are different from him.

Ted Cruz - a scary "Christian Dominionist" who beats his Children and wants to destroy all social systems that benefit the poor. '

I don't see christ in either of these candidates. Or in the nasty rhetoric of the Republican party in general.

Who do I see Christ in? I see values that are consistent with Christian values in Bernie Sanders.

The Jewish candidate.
Since when does spanking your kid mean beating? I saw a video showing Cruz praying with a young man. That shows he is a man of faith to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity