Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:44 PM

589 posts, read 331,671 times

Advertisements

Satan being good isnt fiction.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:48 PM

589 posts, read 331,671 times
Satan isnt satan hes satan.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:51 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Perhaps. But I suspect the merging of Spirits directly with my loved ones will be far more satisfactory than any physical hug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The merging of spirits? Do you mean that you will lose your own identity? Besides, the two are not mutually exclusive. You could have a physical (though immortal) body and have a complete unity in spirit with those you love.
No loss of identity involved. I base my conjectures on my experiences, Katz. I retained my individual identity but joined in Oneness with a multitude. I have tried to describe the experience but words do not suffice. I compared it to experiencing a crowd doing a mental wave, much as they might at a sporting event. I realize that our earthly experiences strongly condition us to physical bodies and I understand your preference for that kind of imagining. However, I am convinced it is not so. It is pure consciousness which is Spirit, but we retain the sense of identity and that includes our sense of individual "body-ness" even without the physicality. YMMV.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:22 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
No loss of identity involved. I base my conjectures on my experiences, Katz.
Fair enough, but you haven't experienced the resurrection.

Quote:
I retained my individual identity but joined in Oneness with a multitude. I have tried to describe the experience but words do not suffice. I compared it to experiencing a crowd doing a mental wave, much as they might at a sporting event.
And I can understand that "oneness." I believe we will have that "oneness." I just don't think that it precludes our also having a physical being.

Quote:
I realize that our earthly experiences strongly condition us to physical bodies and I understand your preference for that kind of imagining.
Actually, it's not so much that as it is that I believe this is what the Bible teaches. We've had this conversation before, if I'm not mistaken. Jesus Christ explicitly stated, after His resurrection, that He had a body of flesh and bone. You believe He only said that because our "primitive, ignorant, barbaric ancestors" (did I get all of the adjectives right?) would have been too afraid of Him if He'd said He was only a spirit. I don't believe that there was anything that would have caused Him to tell an outright lie. I believe He was exactly what He claimed to be, and that this promise is given to each of us.

Quote:
However, I am convinced it is not so. It is pure consciousness which is Spirit, but we retain the sense of identity and that includes our sense of individual "body-ness" even without the physicality. YMMV.
Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see, huh? It's really a pretty amazing thing.

You seem to have some real negative feelings about this body God gave you. That's unfortunate, IMO.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
No loss of identity involved. I base my conjectures on my experiences, Katz. I retained my individual identity but joined in Oneness with a multitude. I have tried to describe the experience but words do not suffice. I compared it to experiencing a crowd doing a mental wave, much as they might at a sporting event. I realize that our earthly experiences strongly condition us to physical bodies and I understand your preference for that kind of imagining. However, I am convinced it is not so. It is pure consciousness which is Spirit, but we retain the sense of identity and that includes our sense of individual "body-ness" even without the physicality. YMMV.
Quote:
Fair enough, but you haven't experienced the resurrection.
And I can understand that "oneness." I believe we will have that "oneness." I just don't think that it precludes our also having a physical being.
Actually, it's not so much that as it is that I believe this is what the Bible teaches. We've had this conversation before, if I'm not mistaken. Jesus Christ explicitly stated, after His resurrection, that He had a body of flesh and bone. You believe He only said that because our "primitive, ignorant, barbaric ancestors" (did I get all of the adjectives right?) would have been too afraid of Him if He'd said He was only a spirit. I don't believe that there was anything that would have caused Him to tell an outright lie. I believe He was exactly what He claimed to be, and that this promise is given to each of us.
Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see, huh? It's really a pretty amazing thing.
You seem to have some real negative feelings about this body God gave you. That's unfortunate, IMO.
Not really, although at my age with so many things going wrong it is trying. It is just that as I look back on my life and its physical pleasures and pains, I see less and less good about a physical existence. The things that I did often seem actually almost silly and infantile although at the time they did not remotely seem so. I can't explain it, but I am really looking forward to the freedom and possibilities of a spiritual body and existence.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Not really, although at my age with so many things going wrong it is trying. It is just that as I look back on my life and its physical pleasures and pains, I see less and less good about a physical existence. The things that I did often seem actually almost silly and infantile although at the time they did not remotely seem so. I can't explain it, but I am really looking forward to the freedom and possibilities of a spiritual body and existence.
Who's older, me or you? I'm 67.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Who's older, me or you? I'm 67.
Definitely me, dear. I do not come from a genetically long-lived family. My parents died in their early sixties, my baby brother died in his fifties. It seems we fall apart sooner than others. I am more than a decade past my genetic expiration date.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Definitely me, dear.
Hmmm. Okay, well I will try to have more respect for my elders.

Quote:
I do not come from a genetically long-lived family. My parents died in their early sixties, my baby brother died in his fifties. It seems we fall apart sooner than others. I am more than a decade past my genetic expiration date.
Well, hang in there. We have a few issues to sort out before you move on.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:54 PM

425 posts, read 276,549 times
Quote:
I agree, in particular, that "a spirit body" does not mean that the body is without physical substance.
I totally disagree with your particular.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Old 03-16-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyawehNyoh View Post
I totally disagree with your particular.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
What do you mean? I thought we were saying exactly the same thing, or very close to the same thing, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity