Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 01:22 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The problem is that you think that "judgement" equals "eternal condemnation." It doesn't.
Again, you ignore the words of Christ. “Between here and there a great chasm exists, across which no one can cross.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 01:42 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
The problem is that you think that "judgement" equals "eternal condemnation." It doesn't.
Shhh....don't tell 'em that! That's part of the fun!

Old 10-20-2017, 01:54 PM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
What a post!! Mightyqueen.

"I cannot tell you how to experience God. I can only tell you how I experience God."
Thank you, but the quote was someone else's words. I just took them to heart because there is so much truth in them.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:04 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You were responding to someone else, but since I addressed this above, I will add my 2 cents.

No, not like a printing press making a mistake, but rather like two or more people telling of their experience and perceptions and feelings about the same event but sounding like different stories. In turn, the telling of one might resound with someone who wasn't there in a different way than it would with someone else who wasn't there because of THEIR life experiences, perceptions, etc.

Again, I will mine an example of this from 9/11. I was with a coworker when AA11 slammed into us, and we traveled down the stairs and out into the streets together, hand in hand. Yet she remembers things and people and sights that I have no memory about, and vice versa. Even though we were in the exact same place and same situation, our perceptions and memories differ.

It's the same way when someone tries to describe their connection with God, (or whatever a person may call that which some of us call God).

I've quoted this before and will again because it's worth quoting. The Quakers hit the mark closest when they say, "I cannot tell you how to experience God. I can only tell you how I experience God."

The writers of the widely-varied books, poetry, letters, prophecies collectively known as "The Bible" each attempted to put their own experience and understanding into words. Some of it may resonate with us, some of it may not, some of it may resonate at different points in our lives, other parts may never touch us. No one can say which words are "right". We can only tell when we have found meaning in something for ourselves, and no one should ever use the words that others have written to harm another person.
Ah, memory.
This is an excellent point.

The best I can describe this as. Is multiple points of view on a single point.
Where each point of view intersects you will find they are all saying the same thing.
Or one example would be a multitude of witnesses giving an account.
If you overlap or over lay each then a larger and more complete picture will come into view.

Personally i presumed most honest adults understood this fundamental principle.

Most arguments I've read here are from either a lack of understanding or just outright dishonesty.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:06 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you, but the quote was someone else's words. I just took them to heart because there is so much truth in them.
I know, those Quakers have a clue.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
<snip>

It's not polite to sow deciet in a Christian forum.

If you don't even know what Yeshua said on the matter.
Do not even bother coming here and precede to tell the Faithfull what they believe.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-20-2017 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Please don't call people liars.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I know, those Quakers have a clue.
No,
memes have no clue, no matter what you attach to them.

Venom comes from even the catepillars these days.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Inspiration is NOT dictation. It must be interpreted using the existing knowledge (or lack of knowledge) and beliefs of the receiver of the inspirations. As humans, that makes the interpreters fallible, NOT inerrant. That is why JEsus made the true nature of God - the Holy Spirit - unambiguous by His teachings, and ultimately His example. We are to test the Spirit of everything that is claimed to be from God or Jesus with that Holy Spirit of agape love. Anything that is NOT compatible with or consistent with that Holy Spirit of agape love is NOT from God or Jesus, period! Your man-made doctrine that everything in the Bible is the inerrant and infallible word of God is a false and corrupting doctrine.

"Your man-made doctrine that everything in the Bible is the inerrant and infallible word of God is a false and corrupting doctrine."

Wrong..

Again
This has become a destructive habit for you Mystic.
When will you learn.
Every time you find an axe what do you do?

An axe is a tool. But just because it is a tool for a certain task. Doesn't mean your perception of its use is a necessity.

Where is the Holy Spirit in someone who would clear cut the forest on the mountain side above ones home right before the rainy season begins.
Lack of knowledge.

Last edited by pinacled; 10-20-2017 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Inspiration is NOT dictation. It must be interpreted using the existing knowledge (or lack of knowledge) and beliefs of the receiver of the inspirations. As humans, that makes the interpreters fallible, NOT inerrant. That is why JEsus made the true nature of God - the Holy Spirit - unambiguous by His teachings, and ultimately His example. We are to test the Spirit of everything that is claimed to be from God or Jesus with that Holy Spirit of agape love. Anything that is NOT compatible with or consistent with that Holy Spirit of agape love is NOT from God or Jesus, period! Your man-made doctrine that everything in the Bible is the inerrant and infallible word of God is a false and corrupting doctrine.

Hope this helps Mystic.
If you would not listen to their testimony nor my own.
There will be nothing for you and i to converse about.

2 Peter 1New International Version (NIV)

1 Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ,

To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:

2 Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.

Confirming One’s Calling and Election
3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your
faith goodness;
and to goodness, knowledge;
and to knowledge, self-control;

and to self-control, perseverance;

and to perseverance, godliness;
and to godliness, mutual affection;
and to mutual affection, love.

8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.

10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters,[a] make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Prophecy of Scripture

12 So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. 13 I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, 14 because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. 15 And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.

16 For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”[b] 18 We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.

19 We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things.

21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Worship God! For the testimony of Yeshua is the spirit of prophecy.”

and to self-control, perseverance;
Ephesians 6:18
Walking in prayer
With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints,

Last edited by pinacled; 10-20-2017 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Shhh....don't tell 'em that! That's part of the fun!
You worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23But a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth, for the Father is seeking such as these to worship Him. 24God is Spirit, and His worshipers must worship Him in spirit and in truth.”…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity