Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 07:22 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,805,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, yes. What I hate is the calamitous doctrine that makes the Bible the ultimate, not to be challenged authority for the Christian faith.

The problem is that many of the people who hold this seriously defective doctrine can't wrap their mind around the idea that the Bible is a useful TOOL in the toolbox of the Spirit, but NOT an authority in its pown right. They see any challenge to the idea of the ultimate authority of the Bible as a denial of the value of that book altogether. It keeps them from having to face the shortcomings ad well as the valued contained in it.
No

You are calling prophets a liar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 07:40 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
“It is written...” -Jesus

Re: 2 Tim. 3:16 and “inspired”

What is the excellency of the scripture. It is given by inspiration of God (v. 16), and therefore is His word. It is a divine revelation, which we may depend upon as infallibly true. The same Spirit that breathed reason into us breathes revelation among us: For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man, but holy men spoke as they were moved or carried forth by the Holy Ghost, 2 Pt. 1:21 . The prophets and apostles did not speak from themselves, but what they received of the Lord that they delivered unto us.
2 points. First Jesus never said what has been written in 2 Timothy, that is Paul. Personally I follow the teachings of Jesus, not Paul.

Second, the quote by Paul was said long before the New Testament was written. If anything, it would only apply to the Old Testament, not the New.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:45 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Indeed. A favorite quote is "The Bible is not the true word of God. Christ is the true word of God. The Bible, read in the right Spirit, and with the guidance of good teachers, will bring us to Him. We must not use the Bible as a sort of encyclopedia out of which texts can be taken for use as weapons" (C.S. Lewis). Far too many Christians use the Bible inappropriately, as a weapon.
One thing I have always wondered is when the Gospel of John states that Jesus was the word made flesh, why do people want to focus on words written on paper?

Another thing I have always wondered is if the Bible is the perfect word of God, wouldn't that also make it a God? After all only God is perfect, so if the Bible is perfect it also has to be a God. That means the Trinity doesn't exist, it is a 4 part God - Creator, Christ, Holy Spirit, Bible.

Along those lines if it is perfect, wouldn't we also have to be perfect to understand it? Since we are not perfect, how could we know what is perfect as we look at it with imperfect eyes and understanding.

Anyhow, my 2 cents...

Old 10-20-2017, 07:54 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
One thing I have always wondered is when the Gospel of John states that Jesus was the word made flesh, why do people want to focus on words written on paper?

Another thing I have always wondered is if the Bible is the perfect word of God, wouldn't that also make it a God? After all only God is perfect, so if the Bible is perfect it also has to be a God. That means the Trinity doesn't exist, it is a 4 part God - Creator, Christ, Holy Spirit, Bible.

Along those lines if it is perfect, wouldn't we also have to be perfect to understand it? Since we are not perfect, how could we know what is perfect as we look at it with imperfect eyes and understanding.

Anyhow, my 2 cents...
Because John records the words of Jesus.

Is a love letter from your sweetheart actually your sweetheart? Of course not, but it’s their words to you. Because of that, it’s precious.

No, we have the Spirit for that.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:56 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
2 points. First Jesus never said what has been written in 2 Timothy, that is Paul. Personally I follow the teachings of Jesus, not Paul.

Second, the quote by Paul was said long before the New Testament was written. If anything, it would only apply to the Old Testament, not the New.
First, Paul claims to have had a personal revelation from Jesus and the apostle Peter, who walked with Jesus, confirmed Paul’s words as gospel.

Second, see above.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:21 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, and it's been a bit frustrating when I've attempted to have intelligent conversations on the subject with those who want to hold onto the concept of an inerrant, God-breathed tome. The perception automatically swings the other way to "So you just toss scripture out totally and make things up yourself." I have trouble believing anyone could be that ignorant about non-fundamentalist Christian traditions and perspectives, so I tend to conclude that such people just want to argue for argument's sake and set up an "Us vs. Them" situation.

I have no one-size-fits-all opinion of the Bible. It's a collection of many different writings by many different people at different periods in history in a culture different from the one we live in now. Some of it rings true to me, usually because there are certain constants in all humans and their quests for spiritual knowledge everywhere and in every time. There are other writings that do the same thing. This is not me "cherry-picking" or choosing the parts I like that make me comfortable, and when people accuse me of that, I tend to think they are a bit simple-minded if they cannot grasp what I am saying--or that they are pretending not to grasp what I am saying.

The Bible is the work of humans trying to express a connection with the divine, but it is not divine, and it is not magical.
...really? And you're a mighty queen? Quit sniveling.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Anyhow, my 2 cents...
You offer lies.

Tag

Old 10-20-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I just have not come across a Bible hater, as mentioned here today, and I have been called one
by that same poster....now, some are indifferent, sure...
some here believe it was tampered with, some believe it is a metaphor,
some think it is a fantasy of made up stories blaming God for really bad things,
and many more opinions of the Bible....but, 'haters'?
Anyone care to stand up and say they are or are not?

I'm not. It is a label I don't think accounts for many here.
Yes
There are haters of the Holy Spirit here

Old 10-20-2017, 08:55 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Because John records the words of Jesus.

Is a love letter from your sweetheart actually your sweetheart? Of course not, but it’s their words to you. Because of that, it’s precious.

No, we have the Spirit for that.
And what are the characteristics of the Spirit by which you can know that you are actually getting guidance from the Spirit and not your own agenda?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:57 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I just have not come across a Bible hater, as mentioned here today, and I have been called one
by that same poster....now, some are indifferent, sure...
some here believe it was tampered with, some believe it is a metaphor,
some think it is a fantasy of made up stories blaming God for really bad things,
and many more opinions of the Bible....but, 'haters'?
Anyone care to stand up and say they are or are not?

I'm not. It is a label I don't think accounts for many here.
Could you define "hater" in your question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity