Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2017, 09:58 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'm trying to take a shower...would people stop posting?
Get a waterproof tablet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
You do realize an eye for an eye was a reference to the MEASUREMENT of harm, not a literal punishment, right??? Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
you do realize Christ said NOT to do it despite what men wrote in scripture. right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
You do realize that that it was already a part of the laws within the sacrificial system, right? He was expounding on it, not changing it. Peace
38You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ 39But I tell you not to resist an evil person. If someone slaps you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also;…

Are you SERIOUS?

Old 10-21-2017, 10:05 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
38You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ 39But I tell you not to resist an evil person. If someone slaps you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also;…

Are you SERIOUS?
Seriously damaged.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:38 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Jesus in no way supported the OT literally. He facetiously claimed not one jot or tittle of Scripture would pass away, while subsequently six times turning OT law on its head.

I've discovered still another where Jesus upsets the OT view of the "righteous" getting blessed by God while God's "enemies" are punished. He does this by being contrary to evangelical misinterpretation of the OT.

Jesus tells us that we are to love our enemies so “that you may be children of your Father in heaven." Then Jesus stated God causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous … Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect” (Mt 5: 43–48). But Jesus is reversing a passage here from Deuteronomy which declares that God sends rain to the righteous and withholds it from sinners, "

"If you faithfully obey the commands I am giving you today ... then I will send rain on your land … Be careful, or you will be enticed to turn away … Then the Lord’s anger will burn against you, and he will shut up the heavens so that it will not rain." (Deut 11: 13–17)

This isn’t just about weather, it constitutes a complete overturning of the Old Testament’s understanding of quid pro quo justice. Jesus dismisses that this kind of justice is something “even pagans do” and thus not a true expression of God’s righteousness. If we want to love like God, Jesus says, then we need to love our enemies. God is our model for this kind of love.

Jesus is far more loving and gracious than bibliolators want Him to be because they desire themselves to be part of the "in" crowd and the rest of us to be a part of the "out" crowd.

And this is why a rule book mentality about the Bible is about as anti-Christ as one can get. One must bring reasoning, logic, and intellect to Scripture in order to understand what it really means.

I guarantee I will be attacked on this and other reasoned logic to Scripture, but not one will argue the merits of their view of the same verses, because they have none.

Next, how the parables are paradoxes couched in hyperbole in order to demonstrate God's love, not His "punishment."

Perverting scripture as per usual.
strange gods?
idols, spirits, strange fire?
And the dragon gave power to the false prophet(beast of the earth)spirit of lawlessness)false prophet) to deceive the people and to forcibly give them a mark.
Everyone knows about how a civilization governs its people with holidays and paid vacation of sorts.

Beware, lest your heart be misled, and you turn away and worship strange gods and prostrate yourselves before them.

Take heed to yourselves, that your heart be not deceived, and ye turn aside, and serve other gods, and worship them; 17 And then the Lord's wrath be kindled against you, and he shut up the heaven, that there be no rain, and that the land yield not her fruit; and lest ye perish quickly from off the good land which the Lord giveth you.
18 Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes.
19 And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
20 And thou shalt write them upon the door posts of thine house, and upon thy gates:
21 That your days may be multiplied, and the days of your children, in the land which the Lord sware unto your fathers to give them, as the days of heaven upon the earth.

Last edited by pinacled; 10-21-2017 at 11:53 AM..

Old 10-21-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
You will be rebuked.
Perverting scripture as per usual.
When YOU have valid reasons for doing so have at it. All I have seen is bluster.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:51 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,698,043 times
I hate no one or no thing. However I personally can't stand bible thumpers

Old 10-21-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
When YOU have valid reasons for doing so have at it. All I have seen is bluster.
I can imagine why.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:26 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I just have not come across a Bible hater, as mentioned here today, and I have been called one
by that same poster....now, some are indifferent, sure...
some here believe it was tampered with, some believe it is a metaphor,
some think it is a fantasy of made up stories blaming God for really bad things,
and many more opinions of the Bible....but, 'haters'?
Anyone care to stand up and say they are or are not?

I'm not. It is a label I don't think accounts for many here.
I have read the entire Bible. I wouldn't say that I hated it, but it's not my favorite read. Especially the KJV, which can be difficult to understand. I will say that the Bible is not as boring as the Book of Mormon, which I have never been able to get through because I end up falling asleep.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:33 PM

Matthew 22New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Wedding Banquet

22 Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying: 2

“The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son. 3 He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come.
4 “Then he sent some more servants and said, ‘Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.’
5 “But they paid no attention and went off—one to his field, another to his business. 6 The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. 7 The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.
8 “Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. 9 So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’ 10 So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.
11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. 12 He asked, ‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’ The man was speechless.
13 “Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
14 “For many are invited, but few are chosen.”

Old 10-21-2017, 01:00 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Matthew 22New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Wedding Banquet

22 Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying: 2

“The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son. 3 He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come.
4 “Then he sent some more servants and said, ‘Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.’
5 “But they paid no attention and went off—one to his field, another to his business. 6 The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. 7 The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.
8 “Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. 9 So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’ 10 So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.
11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. 12 He asked, ‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’ The man was speechless.
13 “Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
14 “For many are invited, but few are chosen.”
What do you interpret "wedding clothes" to be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity