Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2017, 07:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Our God is as Jesus revealed Him to be, NOT as the OT described Him to be under the veil of ignorance (blind minds).
As a Christian, I believe Jesus and His God who IS agape love, NOT the wrathful and vengeful Israeli War God described in the OT.
YES! A 1000 xs yes.

And again, this is no attack on the Bible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 07:06 AM

16,666 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I know, me too...I've met many that are very mad at God, then they call themselves atheist...which
is puzzling , of course.
You've met many that are mad at God? Odd. The Atheists that post on City-Data are virtually unanimous in saying that it is impossible to be angry at something that does not exist.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:12 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I know, me too...I've met many that are very mad at God, then they call themselves atheist...which
is puzzling , of course.
Its all about the brain mrs. treat it like you would any other part of the body. With in reason right. Is it puzzling that a person leg hurt their leg 39 years ago still limps?

When people are irrational about something their is a brain reason or a traumatic event as a cause. I call them them glitches, fatal flaws, and flat mental. Glitches are just small hang up we all have about something. fatal flaws, Larger glitches, many of us (including me) have these are Those reactions that hold us back. Mental, well, that needs no explanation.

Its so good at predicting somebody that I lump people in brain age groups. it really makes my life so much easier when a know an adolescent brain is in a 45 year old body. Doing that, for me, really clarifies people stances.

The problem on a forum is that we need to use hot words to find out quickly. Its a bit of trolling, and uncomfortable for me, but I gave up wasting time with people that think what they know is all anybody needs to know. Rational people have rational answers almost every time. And when a rational person gives me an irrational answer and I change the words so that answer is rational again, I know it was just me, or a bad day.

That rant wasn't really for you, I know you get it. But we probably have people that really are out to just find out what the heck is going on. Milli/fundy mentals have to be kept away from them.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:18 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You've met many that are mad at God? Odd. The Atheists that post on City-Data are virtually unanimous in saying that it is impossible to be angry at something that does not exist.
this isn't totally honest mes. we all know we can say one thing and do another. We have many people so mad at god/religion that they can't process another's belief as anything but "not mine so sorta them"

I can cite examples if you like.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:37 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Her presentation was lovely. I understand that she doesn't hate the Bible "per se"...perhaps she simply hates those people who present the Bible to her as divinely inspired, when her own eyes observe how wretched the preachers are.
IF MightyQueen hates at all, I'd venture to say it is hate for the harm that the misleading doctrine does.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:40 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
As near as I can tell, many of the people here confuse hate for the harm done to them in fundamentalist upbringing or as those ideas have otherwise impacted their lives by associating that with hate for God. It's easy to do.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:32 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
One thing I have always wondered is when the Gospel of John states that Jesus was the word made flesh, why do people want to focus on words written on paper?

Another thing I have always wondered is if the Bible is the perfect word of God, wouldn't that also make it a God? After all only God is perfect, so if the Bible is perfect it also has to be a God. That means the Trinity doesn't exist, it is a 4 part God - Creator, Christ, Holy Spirit, Bible.

Along those lines if it is perfect, wouldn't we also have to be perfect to understand it? Since we are not perfect, how could we know what is perfect as we look at it with imperfect eyes and understanding.

Anyhow, my 2 cents...
...which was worth more than 2 cents.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:33 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
I know right!? That is what is puzzling...they are atheists, vocal ones, I know...but then, one day
they say the God word....one said, "Phooey on God.. our father was so mean to all of us and I
watched my mother pray and sing in the church and God never helped any of us."

Well...is that anger at God or was he a true atheist? Seems since He didn't answer his prayers he is now an atheist....but, one that is still mad at God... go figure....who he thinks doesn't exist.

But, I also have many atheist friends that are happy go lucky and never think of 'God' in any
way and are the BEST possible greatest people. And why shouldn't they be...
Those are the ones we know here mostly I see.

As I always say...'An angry atheist is as bad as an angry vegetarian!" Geesh, where's the door!

Old 10-21-2017, 08:35 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Sniveling?" Definition: complain in a whining or tearful way

I don't see any sniveling going on, just vicious and rude characterization of a rational presentation YOU don't like and for which don't really have an answer.
Thank you for the lookout, nate. Don't know where that came from. I started to respond then decided it wasn't worth the fingertip skin.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:38 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,041,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I notice no bible idolotor has attempted to tell us WHICH of the four views of end times is correct, nor which of the four evangelistic views of Heaven and Hell is correct, nor which of the four views of the Atonement is the infallible and inerrant one. They can't. There is too much disagreement among themselves, although I credit rbbi1 with having a genocidal god and apparently worshiping a jesus who enjoys bashing babies heads against stones. She more or less admits her god is interested in punishment and is disgusted with love.

Biblical scholars however speak to THINKING people who have a God inspired morality --like Troutdude, animist that he is!

As Christian Smith writes:
----------
The “biblicism” that pervades much of American evangelicalism is untenable and needs to be abandoned in favor of a better approach to Christian truth and authority. By untenable I do not simply mean that it is wrong, but rather that it is literally impossible, at least when attempted consistently on its own terms. It cannot actually be sustained, practiced, and defended. Biblicism is one kind of an attempt to explain and act on the authority of the Bible, but it is a misguided one. In the end it cannot and in fact does not work.
------------
Christian Smith, The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scripture (Grand Rapids: Brazos, 2012), p. 3

But never underestimate an idolotor's ability to blank out any moral compunctions they may once have had to keep their golden pages as how-to-hate religiously manual.

And true to pattern, instead of replying to what I posted, you slam the poster. Characteristically, that points to a weak position. But then you know you have a weak position, because you just haven't figured out a way to eliminate ALL those pesky scriptures that call your doctrine a lie. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity