Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 10:00 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times

Advertisements

"---when there are no means by which to evaluate which interpretations are good and which are hurtful because of an a priori assumption that the Bible overrides conscience, the inevitable result of pervasive interpretive pluralism is that some of those interpretations will be abusive."

Derek Flood
Disarming Scripture----
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 10:00 PM

63,826 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are so steeped in the "precepts and doctrines of men" that you do not see that you are simply saying the same thing I am. Jesus redeemed us ALL by His Grace (perfect resonance with God's love) and abides with us as the Comforter (Holy Spirit of truth) sent in His name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts." When we love God and each other every day and repent when we don't, our imperfections are sanctified under His Grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
that is not what you say.. you are saying it now... that is now how you say it and not what YOU MEAN BY IT.
IF YOU SAY WE MUST MISTRUST THE SCRIPTURES AS THEY SIT NOW! ! But HE IS ABLE BODIED GOD CAPABLE OF KEEPING HIS SCRIPTURES EXACTLY AS HE WANTS THEM.
He is not capable of saving anyone unless he can keep his word exactly as he wants it and keeping those
tensions exactly how he wants them .
the God you tell us is your god is a flaky guy who is wishywashy and can't keep his word pure much less make men pure..
That is not MY God. MY God keeps me and His Word.
Our God is as Jesus revealed Him to be, NOT as the OT described Him to be under the veil of ignorance (blind minds). As a Christian, I believe Jesus and His God who IS agape love, NOT the wrathful and vengeful Israeli War God described in the OT.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:05 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
I've never met a Bible hater, just believers, disbelievers, and skeptics.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:07 PM

63,826 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And what are the characteristics of the Spirit by which you can know that you are actually getting guidance from the Spirit and not your own agenda?
It seems that none of those who make this claim about the Spirit's guidance in their interpretations of the Bible that they consider authoritative are able to describe the characteristics of the Spirit they claim to follow. This is really odd since as Christians, they have detailed descriptions of the Holy Spirit of agape from Jesus and the Apostles. It is puzzling.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:46 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Default Another example of Jesus defying the OT

Jesus in no way supported the OT literally. He facetiously claimed not one jot or tittle of Scripture would pass away, while subsequently six times turning OT law on its head.

I've discovered still another where Jesus upsets the OT view of the "righteous" getting blessed by God while God's "enemies" are punished. He does this by being contrary to evangelical misinterpretation of the OT.

Jesus tells us that we are to love our enemies so “that you may be children of your Father in heaven." Then Jesus stated God causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous … Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect” (Mt 5: 43–48). But Jesus is reversing a passage here from Deuteronomy which declares that God sends rain to the righteous and withholds it from sinners, "

"If you faithfully obey the commands I am giving you today ... then I will send rain on your land … Be careful, or you will be enticed to turn away … Then the Lord’s anger will burn against you, and he will shut up the heavens so that it will not rain." (Deut 11: 13–17)

This isn’t just about weather, it constitutes a complete overturning of the Old Testament’s understanding of quid pro quo justice. Jesus dismisses that this kind of justice is something “even pagans do” and thus not a true expression of God’s righteousness. If we want to love like God, Jesus says, then we need to love our enemies. God is our model for this kind of love.

Jesus is far more loving and gracious than bibliolators want Him to be because they desire themselves to be part of the "in" crowd and the rest of us to be a part of the "out" crowd.

And this is why a rule book mentality about the Bible is about as anti-Christ as one can get. One must bring reasoning, logic, and intellect to Scripture in order to understand what it really means.

I guarantee I will be attacked on this and other reasoned logic to Scripture, but not one will argue the merits of their view of the same verses, because they have none.

Next, how the parables are paradoxes couched in hyperbole in order to demonstrate God's love, not His "punishment."

Old 10-20-2017, 10:57 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
well they either hate the bible and it writers or people who read it ... take your choice.. it is crystal clear they sure hate someone.
I have challenged you on this, perhaps you did not see that. I am an atheist, I do not hate the Bible, in fact I have one in my home, a Bible my wife's grandmother gave her when she was a young girl. I know not who the writers of the Bible were, why would I hate them and for what ? As far as hating those who read the Bible how would I possibly know who reads it or not in my everyday life and your accusations are very unreasonable ones as well plus you would have zero ways of even demonstratin it as being true. Even though I do not believe the Bible to be inspired or written by God I understand that you do, why do you continue to ignore the 9th commandment and make unfounded, false and incineratory accusations against all atheists. I might actually hate up to a dozen people on this planet and would know the religious beliefs of two of them. I might dispise many of the stances or ideas that fundamentalist have, of most religions but that is totally different from hating those who follow that sect let alone hating all those of three of the largest religions in the word. I also really dislike some of the stances of political parties I support and strongly disagree with friends and family members on certain issues However I still love them dearly and agree and most subjects. Not agreeing is not the same as hating same as not believing is not the same as hating.

So with the information I have provided you which if the three groups do I hate? With your answers should come an explanation on how you came up with knowing who I hate that I didn't know I did. As well with your regular attacks on non believers perhaps you can explain to this non believer on how that is an example of agape love that your religion boasts about?

I realize this is a Christianity forum but you brought up the absurd accusation that we must hate, you should be able to defend your false accusation as well as being able to make it. If I made the same accusations against Christians on the Atheist forum you would have all the right, and perhaps even the obligation to call me out, same as I am doing to you.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:37 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Jesus is far more loving and gracious than bibliolators want Him to be...
You hit the mark on that one.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:30 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Sniveling?" Definition: complain in a whining or tearful way

I don't see any sniveling going on, just vicious and rude characterization of a rational presentation YOU don't like and for which don't really have an answer.
Her presentation was lovely. I understand that she doesn't hate the Bible "per se"...perhaps she simply hates those people who present the Bible to her as divinely inspired, when her own eyes observe how wretched the preachers are.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:52 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Jesus in no way supported the OT literally.
He facetiously claimed not one jot or tittle of Scripture would pass away,
while subsequently six times turning OT law on its head.

I've discovered still another where Jesus upsets the OT view of the "righteous" getting blessed
by God while God's "enemies" are punished.
He does this by being contrary to evangelical misinterpretation of the OT.

Jesus tells us that we are to love our enemies so “that you may be children of your Father in heaven." Then Jesus stated God causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous …
Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect” (Mt 5: 43–48).
But Jesus is reversing a passage here from Deuteronomy which declares that God sends rain to the righteous and withholds it from sinners, "....
BRILLIANT !

And none of this is to take away our love for Jesus...it increases it
because we get to know him better and better. This whole post is not attacking the faith of Bible believers, as some
say is done here...it enhances our understanding of God's love...
reflected perfectly in Jesus, His representative that did nothing that was not from our Father.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:56 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I've never met a Bible hater, just believers, disbelievers, and skeptics.
I know, me too...I've met many that are very mad at God, then they call themselves atheist...which
is puzzling , of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity