Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:19 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
so where does Jesus say GET A BIBLE?

Telling us IT IS WRITTEN is not a directive to .get a BIBLE. Nor did Jesus say, HERE HOLD MY FISH, I AM ABOUT TO SPEW SOME SCRIPTURE..writ this down
What does it mean, then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 07:48 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
so where does Jesus say GET A BIBLE?

Telling us IT IS WRITTEN is not a directive to .get a BIBLE. Nor did Jesus say, HERE HOLD MY FISH, I AM ABOUT TO SPEW SOME SCRIPTURE..writ this down
It's using Scripture. He was reciting Scripture when he said that. You can certainly deny that if you'd like, but Jesus did affirm the Scripture.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You did not even address God’s holiness and its ramifications. Perhaps then I could view your beliefs differently.
Address God's Holiness? He is beyond Holiness!

What, now if I don't comment on something you want me to, because I am not a mind reader,
you will discount things I say?

jimmie, I'm sorry, I must say good bye to you...I will only pass by your posts
if someone quotes them.
I just don't waste my time on mind games, hidden expectations, secrets needs laid on another
that someone must magically know about...I don't in real life either.
Best wishes to you.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:09 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,727,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
because words in ink can be falsified, but the nature of the spirit jesus promised was well described by jesus and the apostles. It is the only valid check, but you don't really believe in the promise of jesus.
only in a spiritually dead mind and heart can it be falsified..

Old 10-20-2017, 08:15 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The mountainous accumulation of evidence shows MightyQueen to be correct. Men who encountered God spiritually were inspired to write their own witness about God. The book is not a Sacred "How-To" book, it is as flawed as the men who wrote it and demands we bring the logic and reason God gave to most to understand it. Without logic and reason, the OT is nothing but a record of genocide (which we eschew when practiced by other religions), parental abuse, and punishment.

As Derek Flood writes in his wonderful book, Disarming Scripture----
---------
Religion so often gets stuck exactly here, thinking we’re defending “traditional values” or “historical faith” or “God’s Word” when really what we are doing is missing God because we have missed compassion. The take-away for us here is that when we cling to hurtful interpretations of the Bible—ignoring common sense, ignoring the damaging effects it is having in people’s lives, ignoring what the Spirit is doing right in front of us—this truly is blaspheming God’s Spirit, because the result is that God’s reputation is ruined by a stagnant and heartless religion and the deeply hurtful image of God this presents.
----------
ANOTHER outstanding post. I just wanted to highlight these tow sections and comment on them.

Those who claim authority for scripture ALWAYS claim that they are written by the Spirit and that the Spirit gives them guidance in understanding it... The SAME claim made by people who have wildly different interpretations of scripture.

NONE of these people give any indication of WHY we should believe that the Spirit guides THEM.

IF they were guided by the Spirit, their conclusions would reflect the NATURE of the Spirit as taught by Jesus and the Apostles.

Many of those who do so claim that God's holiness constrains Him to deny His love as if God has a split personality. It is their idea of "Holy" that is at fault because of the perception put forth in Tanakh.
Jesus illustrated the difference in the "Parable of the Good Samaritan" where that concept of Holy was shown to be at fault and the idea that set apart to God's purposes mens getting down in the trenches and doing what is right to demonstrate his love.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
because words in ink can be falsified, but the nature of the spirit jesus promised was well described by jesus and the apostles. It is the only valid check, but you don't really believe in the promise of jesus.
.. And that same heart can and will create whatever it wants
"spirit", spirtual,
god to meanS TO IT . It is called shamanism . Things , other things, ALL THIING become holy or make you holy.. But only Him , his blood in and THE HOLY SPIRIT
through his word will make us holy! In order to be able to stand before the Father .

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 10-20-2017 at 08:40 AM..

Old 10-20-2017, 08:23 AM

So you all want to tell US you trust a God who cannot keep his word as he wants it to be through men ? MEN who loved him more than you love him! .. Because they never wanted to burn his words..
But we are to trust the spirit that leads you.. No!

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 10-20-2017 at 08:32 AM..

Old 10-20-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
What a post!! Mightyqueen.

"I cannot tell you how to experience God. I can only tell you how I experience God."
Indeed! WELL worth repeating again.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You did not even address God’s holiness and its ramifications. Perhaps then I could view your beliefs differently.
See above

Old 10-20-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
so where does jesus say get a bible?

Telling us it is written is not a directive to .get a bible. Nor did jesus say, here hold my fish, i am about to spew some scripture..writ this down
Jesus was talking to a culture not just to men in general... A culture that heard the word every time they went to synagog IT WAS READ OUT LOAD TO A CULTURE. SO THEY HAD THE WORD . EVEN THE ILLITERATE HAD THE WORD OF GOD .. .... There was no reason to tell them to read the word BECAUSE THEY ALL heard it SINCE THEY WERE BABIES .. Over and over..
Remember he came to the Jews not to the world..
He adopted us ... Which means that if you are in the word like they were in the word then you can take his words at face value.. Otherwise you have no right to .

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 10-20-2017 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity